Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-10-06, 10:49 AM   #25
logicmagic

Default Re: [PATCH] nv-1.0-8756 with Xen-3.0.1 on Fedora Core 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN
That's all i can remember for now :-)
Never heard of, can you please provide a link for more details?
I must say your memory is not bad at all! Here is a

link
to the memory offset problem I was referring to. I was hoping to run NetBSD instead of FC5 in dom0. This is where my understanding breaks down a little so my next statements might as well be questions even if not worded as such. The domU cannot just use the dom0 driver and talking directly to the hardware does not work yet. Is my desired configuration not possible without the new chips?
logicmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 11:40 AM   #26
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicmagic
[...] memory offset problem I was referring to.
I guess the patch turns the nivida driver into the required "xen-aware"
driver by using phys_to_machine() for determining the DMA address
of a certain page.

Quote:
I was hoping to run NetBSD instead of FC5 in dom0.
I have read somewhere that there is *BSD xen-3 port under way, but
couldn't easily find any details. Do you know a good link?

Quote:
This is where my understanding breaks down a little so my next statements might as well be questions even if not worded as such. The domU cannot just use the dom0 driver and talking directly to the hardware does not work yet. Is my desired configuration not possible without the new chips?
I'm pretty sure that the nvidia driver for *BSD could access a *second*
dedicated card from within domU just like Linux can (provided that
the xen pci frontend is included in the BSD kernel). If you like to use
a *single* card for both OSes, then the easist way would probably be to
redirect the DISPLAY variable of the domU session to the X-Server running
in dom0 - i once tried that out with Linux in domU, but that certainly
comes with a performance penality and some applications such as
UT2004 do not work (however, this is not a xen but a glx issue).

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 02:54 PM   #27
logicmagic

Quote:
I guess the patch turns the nivida driver into the required "xen-aware"
driver by using phys_to_machine() for determining the DMA address
of a certain page.
That is what I missed. Thanks.

Quote:
I have read somewhere that there is *BSD xen-3 port under way, but
couldn't easily find any details. Do you know a good link?
a message with the announcement
It is hot off the press!

Quote:
... then the easist way would probably be to
redirect the DISPLAY variable of the domU session to the X-Server running
in dom0
I am hoping that chromium can improve performance a little. It looks good on paper.

Thanks again.
Old 07-10-06, 06:33 PM   #28
JaXXoN

Quote:
message with the announcemen It is hot off the press!
I have seen this annoucement, but they are "only" talking about NetBSD dom0, whereas i'm more interessted in a NetBSD domU :-) Any hints?

Quote:
I am hoping that chromium can improve performance a little. It looks good on paper.
In deed, Chromium/DMX seems to be a pretty interessting piece of software, but i'm not sure how exactly you would deploy it on a Xen enabled system to increase performance?!

I was recently considering a setup like this:

* Gigabyte Quad Royal with 4 PCIe x16 slots (x8 each)
* three GF7950GX2 (with two 7900 chips each)
* three LCDs to form a triple head

Unfortnuatly, it is currently not possible to run each card in SLI mode seperatly and then drive a triple head setup using xinerma on a single OS (3x 2xSLI), but you could dedicate the three GF7950GX2 cards to a seperate user domain, each. Then there is only one GF7950GX2 per machine visible and the nvidia driver certainly can handle that. Finally DMX could be used to tie the three SLI cards together (just like SLI cards in three physical machines). However, this is just a dirty hack to overcome a minor deficency of the nvidia driver that will hopefully be fixed in the next release anyway :-)

regards

Bernhard
Old 07-11-06, 07:45 AM   #29
logicmagic

Quote:
I have seen this annoucement, but they are "only" talking about NetBSD dom0, whereas i'm more interessted in a NetBSD domU :-) Any hints?
That was announced back in April here.

Quote:
In deed, Chromium/DMX seems to be a pretty interessting piece of software, but i'm not sure how exactly you would deploy it on a Xen enabled system to increase performance?!
Well I have lofty goals (pirate) ! I am hoping to do some VNC type stuff to remotely view other domUs from the one with the card. It is all theoretical, but it seems like a good plan.

Quote:
Unfortnuatly, it is currently not possible to run each card in SLI mode seperatly and then drive a triple head setup using xinerma on a single OS (3x 2xSLI), but you could dedicate
Given that video cards have handled 3D forever now, I would think they would have come up with a way to multiplex a bunch of video inputs together. I am no OpenGL guru (yet), but couldn't it just be a bunch of layers for the different domUs (and dom0 while I'm dreaming)?
There is some interesting stuff here on multiplexing OpenGL on Xen actually. But, I am not sure why the card or the driver anyway, couldn't do this by default.
Old 07-11-06, 08:19 AM   #30
JaXXoN

[quote=logicmagic]That (domU NetBSD) was announced back in April here.
[quote]

Thanks for the hint!

Quote:
I am hoping to do some VNC type stuff to remotely view other domUs from the one with the card. It is all theoretical, but it seems like a good plan.
You may have a look at VirtualGL (http://virtualgl.sourceforge.net). This piece of software enhances VNC where the output of the hardware 3D rendering is turned into an MJPEG stream and forwarded to the VNC client. I once tried out with two physical machines - performance is pretty good, but especially for interactive applications (games), there is quite some lag. I guess this is because the JPEG compression is not done in hardware. I guess compression could be disabled. This would certainly not be an option for a networked VirtualGL setup, but network throughput is much higher between a domU and a dom0, so it might be worth a try.

BTW.: IIRC, there is something similar available for Windows. So a games running in a Windows dom0 (requires Pacifica or Vanderpool) could be re-directed to a Linux-Desktop with little performance loss, i guess.

However, these solutions always require a second card.

Quote:
here on multiplexing OpenGL on Xen actually.
As far as i understand, they added a special framebuffer for the domU kernel that is mapped to dom0 and then displayed as a texture by an application running on top of the dom0 X-Server. I guess the problem is that there is no 2D or 3D HW acceleration (it's just a framebuffer).

Quote:
But, I am not sure why the card or the driver anyway, couldn't do this by default.
You means two OSes sharing a single PCI card? This would require to virtualize the graphics hardware in domU and an appropriate arbiter would need to be implemented for the nvidia driver in dom0. I guess this is quite some effort.

A simpler solution would probably be tu suspend/resume the driver instances when switching fullscreen between OSes.

regards

Bernhard
Old 07-27-06, 01:37 PM   #31
Twist

I looked and looked to what the heck <nvidia glue source> meant. For a first time linux user with nvidia problems the term is not too clear. Sure, I found the information that nvidia seperated their drivers out to be two parts. One part being open source and the other not. Still though it does not explain where a person finds the glue source files at. Recall that when you download the drivers it comes down as *.run and not as a tar or some other meaningful file that a new person can relate to...

My original post was asking where to find these driver files and I finally noticed someone saying they found a quick answer in a sticky so I looked at the one made at 7-20-06 about patches. well I am only guessing but what you need to do is exactly stated in the sticky. The first line should create a dir that provides the useable glue source for this patch instruction.
# sh /path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run --extract-only
# cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1

I wanted to make sure that I posted this because google did NOT provide any guidance on finding the glue source and it has taken me three days to make any sense out of this.
patch and steps did not work. restarted and x failed. went back to old vesa drivers

Notes: Make sure in the patch line to put in the < before the path, I missed it the first time. Secondly add a / before lib/modules/ near the bottom instruction

Not sure what happened here to why it did not work.. I got a GlCore error and a bunch of other crap :S

Last edited by Twist; 07-27-06 at 09:43 PM.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote