Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-08-06, 12:37 AM   #13
gnutux
Linux User: 362616

Default Re: Choosing a Distro

I've always recommended SuSE Linux and have been saying this for the whole duration of my Linux usage.

gnutux
Old 07-14-06, 06:22 AM   #14
Chalnoth

I used to always run RedHat (and later Fedora), but now that I've switched to SuSE, I'm not ever looking back. I think the package manager is much better, and just like the overall presentation.
Old 08-04-06, 09:13 AM   #15
Badboy_12345

GENTOO!!!!!

suse, red hat etc etc is full of crap.. its so much crap in them I cant understand how people are using it..
Its like windows ME + XP + Vista all in one x10

whenever someone mentiones Suse or red hat I chringe and hide in a corner for 10 min
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 09:50 AM   #16
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345
GENTOO!!!!!

suse, red hat etc etc is full of crap.. its so much crap in them I cant understand how people are using it..
Not everyone likes to spend half of his time compiling the software he uses. ;-) I know it has some benefits, but most people don't want or need that.

Personally I used to configure and compile my own kernel individually for each of my computers, but nowadays I'm using stock-kernel for all but one. After a couple of years it's not so "c00l" anymore. The same goes for tweaking services and such.

And no, this is not supposed to be a flame.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 10:03 AM   #17
ViN86

im a slackware fanboy. everyone will probably trash it and say its stupid cause it doesnt have all the eyecandy and GUI's. but its fast and stable. i use to love runnin slack. i need another HDD for a dual boot
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 10:29 AM   #18
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
im a slackware fanboy. everyone will probably trash it and say its stupid cause it doesnt have all the eyecandy and GUI's. but its fast and stable.
No way. Not everyone puts eyecandy above funtionality/usability/stability. Debian && FVWM2 here.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
Old 08-04-06, 10:35 AM   #19
Chalnoth

GUI's aren't just about eyecandy. Recently installed SLED10, and I really like the user interface and the integrated search functionality (it's quite different from the UI of openSUSE).
Old 08-04-06, 11:56 AM   #20
sonicx

what strange ideas...
for a secondary-mess-around-system choose newest ubuntu. it is fast, small, but easy extendable. all packages you most probaly ever gonna need are installable with a single command. it looks very cool, has a great community, and great gaming power.did i mention it is fast? and so damn convenient.
mfg
sonicx
sonicx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-06, 08:45 AM   #21
Badboy_12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
Not everyone likes to spend half of his time compiling the software he uses. ;-) I know it has some benefits, but most people don't want or need that.

Personally I used to configure and compile my own kernel individually for each of my computers, but nowadays I'm using stock-kernel for all but one. After a couple of years it's not so "c00l" anymore. The same goes for tweaking services and such.

And no, this is not supposed to be a flame.

but still the best distro for beginner which almost no one agrees with is gentoo and distros like it..
U learn so much about linux and how it functions just by installing gentoo..
instead of clicking next next next all the time
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 09:50 AM   #22
Chalnoth

Quote:
but still the best distro for beginner which almost no one agrees with is gentoo and distros like it..
instead of clicking next next next all the time
Well, if you really want do that, then your best bet is Linux From Scratch:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Old 08-05-06, 12:05 PM   #23
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
I beg to differ. You know, the definition of "the best distribution" depends greatly on your goals. Gentoo/LFS is hardly a choice for someone who just wants a safe and functional operating system. For those who want to spend their time tweaking the OS, sure, all sorts of do-it-yourself distros are just great.

I for one couldn't be bothered to compile my software myself without a good reason anymore. I've grown out of that stuff. ;-)

To emphasize my point: all distros have their target group. There is no "one size fits all" -distro.

Old 08-05-06, 01:22 PM   #24
a12ctic

DIY operating systems are not for anybody, their illogical and you dont learn anything except that software takes a long time to compile...