Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-06, 04:32 PM   #1
Š■eling
Prefect PrŠtorianus

Default Visual artifacts in games after minor GPU OCing (Leadtek Geforce A6600GT TDH AGP)

I'm running Ubuntu 5.10 and overclocking my graphics card with nvclock 0,8, with the coolbits3d backend. I have the nVidia drivers correctly installed. No matter how little I overclock my GPU (even if it's just from 500 to 505 mhz), I get visual artifacts such as textures replaced by blinking black squares and black horizontal lines over the entire monitor. In windows, the graphics card works stable and vithout artifacts up to 650 mhz. The temperatures are the same in both OSes. I'm playing America's Army, UT2004 and Doom 3. The rest of my specs are:

ASUS P4C800 E motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz, overclocked to 3.8 (stable) processor
1024mb DDR400 ram

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Since it works ok in windows, I'm fairly sure it's just a software issue (atleast i hope so).

Last edited by Š■eling; 04-21-06 at 08:17 AM.
Š■eling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-06, 08:16 AM   #2
Š■eling
Prefect PrŠtorianus

Default Re: Visual artifacts in games after minor GPU OCing (Leadtek Geforce A6600GT TDH AGP)

Don't tell me no one knows what could be wrong?
Old 04-21-06, 04:45 PM   #3
Roklobsta

Default Re: Visual artifacts in games after minor GPU OCing (Leadtek Geforce A6600GT TDH AGP)

The nvclock code might be buggy.

In my xorg.conf file I have added the coolbits option in like this:

Option "Coolbits" "1"

Running the driver supplied "nvdia-settings" program now has an extra "Clock Frequencies" section which lets you adjust clocks for 2D and 3D. In 3D adjustment mode it also tests the clocks for you and produces what I presume to be a maximum safe overclocking suggestion. It gave me ~5% higher clocks which isn't worth my while really. UT2004 is fast enough on my 6600GT.

Try this out first and see how you go.
Roklobsta is offline   Reply With Quote