Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-22-06, 04:10 PM   #1
Jim1

Default Performance of my shiny new 7800GS a bit disapointing

I just made the huge upgrade to a Gainward 7800GS (from a 4200ti no less!), and while it is much faster the performance isn't what I'd have imagined it would be.

For example, I imagined I could play Quake4 in 1600x1200 in high quality without FSAA and keep the framerate pegged at 60fps.

Now I've got the card, at particuarly frantic moments, the frame rate drops to about 11fps, and only really hits 60 when there are no characters on the screen. For almost all combat it drops below 25fps.

Likewise, UT2004. On the Torlan map under the same settings the card struggles to keep the frame rate over 40fps.

Is this normal? The system is Ubuntu Dapper (which carries the 8756 driver) with an Athlon XP 3000 and a gig of RAM. I don't have a Windows partition to compare with.

Any suggestions what I can do to help this?
Old 04-22-06, 04:35 PM   #2
a12ctic

Default Re: Performance of my shiny new 7800GS a bit disapointing

Theres something wrong there my 6600GT is over 60fps at all times a 1024 x756 high settings everything on except aa/af

amd64 3000+ (2.4ghz), 1gb ocz gold, 6600GT, Zenwalk 2.4 (2.6.16) and the latest drivers
Old 04-22-06, 05:33 PM   #3
Jim1

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic
Theres something wrong there my 6600GT is over 60fps at all times a 1024 x756 high settings everything on except aa/af

amd64 3000+ (2.4ghz), 1gb ocz gold, 6600GT, Zenwalk 2.4 (2.6.16) and the latest drivers
Right. Thought so.
Anyone know what could cause such a big performance hit? I'd really like to get this sorted!
Old 04-22-06, 05:46 PM   #4
a12ctic

How bout you go into xterm (or your command line)

and type "ps aux" to see if theres to much **** running, also try reinstalling your 3d drivers with the newest ones on nvidias site. Also, i may be wrong, but isnt dapper still in beta? maby try a stable distro.
Old 04-23-06, 05:27 AM   #5
Jim1

I don't think it's that there are a lot of background processes running, and ps aux doesn't really show anything unexpected. Also when I run top, no process is taking more than 1% of the CPU.

Dapper is prerelease, yeah (although you don't really hear the word "beta" in Ubuntuland much). It carries Xorg 7, which is pretty new.

Installing a different distro isn't really an option at this point. I use this computer for too much work-related stuff to have the downtime. Also, I really like Ubuntu. Dapper carries quite a few new packages that I really need for work that aren't being backported to Breezy.

Humph.
Old 04-23-06, 06:48 AM   #6
Thunderbird

If you are using XGL disable it, as when you use it you lose direct rendering for opengl which reduces performance quite a bit. Second your XP3000+ is a big bottleneck for this card but none the less things should perform better than this.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 07:08 AM   #7
Jim1

Not using xgl (I just checked apt and the xserver-xgl package isn't installed).

I know the 3000XP is a tad on the old side, but doesn't seem to be the problem here. If the CPU were the bottleneck, the frame rate wouldn't decrease with the resolution, while I can still get high frame rates at 800x600.

There's a review here (http://dansdata.com/upgrade.htm) which shows significantly better performance on a 6800 than my 7800!

Since nothing obvious has popped up that might cause this, I've attached my nvidia-bug-report.log below, it seems to have pretty much everything that could be relevant.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (88.8 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-23-06, 11:17 AM   #8
Jim1

I just noticed nvidia recomends disabling the GLcore and dri modules, so I changed my xorg.conf to:

Section "Module"
# NB: GLcore and dri removed as per nvidia's instructions
# Load "GLcore"
Load "i2c"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
# Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Still no major improvements. I also noticed someone else on this forum said the Doom3 engine works best with a 128meg aperture. I checked, and this is what mine was already set to.

Old 04-23-06, 04:43 PM   #9
LinuxRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1
I just noticed nvidia recomends disabling the GLcore and dri modules, so I changed my xorg.conf to:

Section "Module"
# NB: GLcore and dri removed as per nvidia's instructions
# Load "GLcore"
Load "i2c"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
# Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "type1"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Still no major improvements. I also noticed someone else on this forum said the Doom3 engine works best with a 128meg aperture. I checked, and this is what mine was already set to.
Try the previous driver. I have all kinds of performance issues (Especially in UT2004) with the new driver.

Just a thought...

Joe
LinuxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 09:21 PM   #10
LaNcom

Also keep in mind that Doom3-engine games are extremely CPU-heavy. The Normal Mapping is CPU dependent for example. And for Normal Mapping, the resolution obviously does matter.

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-06, 02:56 AM   #11
Jim1

Trying to tie this down a bit, I've noticed an interesting thing...

The card is actually quite fast (not as fast as I'd hoped for, but better than the terrible scores I've been getting) if you just run around in the same room for a while. It seems the slowness only comes when you see new stuff for the first time.

I'm not sure exactly how to explain this. Perhaps the engine is having to send the card new data, and there's a problem there? With 512megs of RAM on the card I'd have thought there would be enough space to pre-load everything.

The CPU probably would be a bottleneck on Doom3 engine if the card was running as expected, but remember I also get very poor performance in ut2004, and the CPU is more than fast enough for that engine.

Maybe enabling fast writes would help. I've tried this but couldn't get it working. I added the line:

options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

to /etc/modules.conf, but when I restarted it still wasn't enabled.
Old 04-24-06, 09:22 AM   #12
TravisOSF

Ok--it sounds like you have a low amount of system ram.

Do you have less than a gig? If so, those high settings you are throwing on there aren't going to fly. You need to have at least a gig to turn things up that high.

The same thing happened to me in Battlefield 2, so I grabbed an extra 512 and i am sitting happy now.
TravisOSF is offline   Reply With Quote