Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-22-06, 10:26 PM   #1
FunkyM

Lightbulb [Enhancement] Use metamodes to switch twinview setups (DFP,CRT>DFP,TV)

I have a GF6600 PCIe graphics card with a twinview setup running with Xgl/compiz on the latest drivers with a DFP, CRT and TV (using S-Video) display attached.

In Windows it is possible to switch between different modes and allow video overlays to be routed to the 2nd display device. While in general I am working with a DFP, CRT twinview setup, this comes handy when switching the 2nd display device to the TV display and watching DVD movies on the TV (so switching from DFP,CRT to DFP,TV in my case in Windows and enable overlays).

It would be cool to do that on Linux aswell instead of having to launch another X server or quit the current one to start a different configuration.

I understand that from the card architecture a maximum of two display devices can be served.

However, since the recent driver release I noticed that using Linux it recognizes more than two "ConnectedMonitors" values, meaning three are accepted; followed by a notice that only two can be used. (CRT,DFP,TV)

Metamodes can be specified using a syntax such as:
"DFP-0:1280x1024,CRT-0:1280x1024"

As they actually change the whole X setup on the fly, what about this:

"DFP-0:1280x1024,CRT-0:1280x1024;DFP-0:1280x1024,TV-0:800x600"

It would allow switching the twinview configurations in a Xorg friendly way if not mistaken. I wonder if it is too hard to implement but maybe its straightforward and something for a future release (otherwise i guess its up to implementing something into nvidia-settings in some distant future).

Anyways, great job NVIDIA with the Linux drivers
FunkyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 09:14 AM   #2
FunkyM

Default Re: [Enhancement] Use metamodes to switch twinview setups (DFP,CRT>DFP,TV)

bump
FunkyM is offline   Reply With Quote