Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-06, 04:55 AM   #1
Sobriquet

Default UNOFFICIAL HOWTO: Installing legacy drivers on FC5

I didn't find an answer to this, so this is how I managed to get the 71.74 drivers running on my Geforce2 GTS under Fedora Core 5. I'm assuming you're running FC5 with the kernel updated to 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.

Disclaimer: If your computer bursts into flames, don't blame me. According to at least one post on this board, a proper solution from NVidia is imminent.
  • Download the 7174 installer from nvidia.com
  • Download the patch from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67068
  • Extract and apply patch as detailed on previous link, but don't run installer yet
  • Modify Makefile so that layout matchs that of xorg instead of XFree86 by running `sed "s/usr\/X11R6\/lib/usr\/lib\/xorg/g" Makefile >Makefile2; mv Makefile2 Makefile`
  • Rearrange local dir structure to match: `mv usr/X11R6/lib usr/lib/xorg`
  • Now if you run the installer and modify your `/etc/X11/xorg.conf` correctly you should be up and running (Note: I ran `make install` here, but the Installer should hopefully work fine too)
Sobriquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-06, 05:43 AM   #2
lou77

Angry Re: UNOFFICIAL HOWTO: Installing legacy drivers on FC5

Hi,

Please dont use this unofficial HOWTO. I tried that my self and it didn't work at all.
It's all gargage...
lou77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-06, 03:59 PM   #3
Sobriquet

Lightbulb Re: UNOFFICIAL HOWTO: Installing legacy drivers on FC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou77
Please dont use this unofficial HOWTO. I tried that my self and it didn't work at all.
It's all gargage...
*sigh*
I hope someone got something positive from my post.

lou77: You neglected to mention what didn't work, were you unable to r0b0's patch? patch the makefile and/or directory structure? run the installer? or did you find yourself with a steaming heap of slag where once sat your pride and joy?

I've been running with this setup since my post, and it's taken everything I've thrown at it perfectly happily: Nexuiz, Neverball, any of the XScreenSaver OGL hacks. If I missed something out, or pointed out the bleeding obvious please let me know.
Sobriquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-06, 11:23 AM   #4
hdixon

Default Re: UNOFFICIAL HOWTO: Installing legacy drivers on FC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobriquet
I didn't find an answer to this, so this is how I managed to get the 71.74 drivers running on my Geforce2 GTS under Fedora Core 5. I'm assuming you're running FC5 with the kernel updated to 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.

Disclaimer: If your computer bursts into flames, don't blame me. According to at least one post on this board, a proper solution from NVidia is imminent.
  • Download the 7174 installer from nvidia.com
  • Download the patch from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67068
  • Extract and apply patch as detailed on previous link, but don't run installer yet
  • Modify Makefile so that layout matchs that of xorg instead of XFree86 by running `sed "s/usr\/X11R6\/lib/usr\/lib\/xorg/g" Makefile >Makefile2; mv Makefile2 Makefile`
  • Rearrange local dir structure to match: `mv usr/X11R6/lib usr/lib/xorg`
  • Now if you run the installer and modify your `/etc/X11/xorg.conf` correctly you should be up and running (Note: I ran `make install` here, but the Installer should hopefully work fine too)
I have an Asus 7700 card which i think is (pretty much) the same chipset you mention. I'm running FC5 updated to 2.6.16-1.2122. Per the FC5 release notes I have the kernel source installed under my home directory. Do you think your steps above would work in my case?

TIA
hdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 02:42 PM   #5
electrifice

I am trying to install the GTS Pro card for Linux on FC5. I'm using driver 7174 and have patched as indicated. My kernel version is 2.6.16-1.2122_FC5. The drivers installs properly (once the patch is applied) and modprobe seems to load the driver. But X doesn't start... it gives multiple errors that GLX or some submodule could not be loaded, and that the nvidia driver could not be loaded for no such driver exists. So, I resorted to your howto but I cannot get past the "sed" command. Typing it exactly as shown returns "No such file or directory". I'm hoping its just a small problem, I would REALLY like my graphic card to work.
Thanks
electrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 03:02 PM   #6
electrifice

Here's some files that might help you in figuring out the problem. The package xorg-x11-server-sdk IS installed on my system, and I have applied the 7174 patch already. Thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (96.5 KB, 143 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (9.8 KB, 141 views)
electrifice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 04:05 PM   #7
DragonMaster

Thanks, it works great!

I used make install also.

For those who don't know what to change in xorg.conf :

In Section "Module"

Put # in front of Load "dri"
Add Load "glx"

In Section "Device"
replace Driver "nv" for Driver "nvidia" (You might want to add a square in front of nv and add an other line in case it doesn't work.)

In case it doesn't work, reset the Driver to "nv", put a square in front of Load "glx" and remove the one of "dri".

Here are some parts of my xorg.conf :

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
## Disable if "nv" driver
Load "glx"
##
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
## Disable if "nvidia" driver
# Load "dri"
##
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
# Driver "nv"
VendorName "nVidia"
BoardName "nVidia Corporation NV5M64 [RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro]"
EndSection
DragonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 02:23 PM   #8
aplarsen

AWESOME!

Thank you so much for posting this patch as well as the instructions for making it work.

I've been banging my head against the wall, trying to get SVideo-Out on my Geforce2 Ultra on Fedora Core 4 (2.6.16). This works like a charm.

Thanks!
aplarsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-06, 09:58 AM   #9
leifre

Thank you very much for that great howto!
For me and my nvidia MX 460 it just worked!
leifre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 12:42 PM   #10
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that no patches, etc., should be needed as of the 1.0-7182 NVIDIA Linux legacy graphics driver release. For Fedora Core 5 specific installation instructions, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote