Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-06, 12:42 PM   #1
polpo

Default Squished fonts with TwinView & forced DPI

I am getting squished fonts in apps that don't use XFT, such as those using GTK1. XFT-using Qt/KDE and GTK2 look just fine, as you can see in the KDE titlebars in the screenshots below.

The font problem only occurs when using TwinView and a forced DPI, either by setting a DPI in xorg.conf, or by using the -dpi X startup option. When not using TwinView, fonts are normal. When the nvidia driver sets the DPI itself (defaulting to 75x75, as it can't detect the montior's EDID), fonts are normal. Has this happened with anyone else? This occurs in driver versions 7676, 8178, and 8756. I am running Debian Testing/Unstable, with X.org 6.9.0.

From xdpyinfo, when I use Option "DPI" "88x88" in xorg.conf:
Code:
dimensions:    2552x1050 pixels (737x303 millimeters)
resolution:    88x88 dots per inch
Screenshots & logfile:

Non-twinview, forced 88x88 DPI - normal fonts
Twinview, default 75x75 DPI - normal fonts
Twinview, forced 88x88 DPI - squished fonts
Logfile

Last edited by polpo; 04-25-06 at 12:53 PM.
polpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-06, 04:41 PM   #2
polpo

Default Re: Squished fonts with TwinView & forced DPI

I have managed to work around the problem by increasing my DPI to 90x90. At 88x88, I got a hint while looking at xfontsel. When picking a font, the 'resx' dropdown presented 75 with 100 greyed out, and 'resy' presented 100 with 75 greyed out.

This looks like some sort of rounding bug -- the x dimension gets rounded down to 75, while y gets rounded up to 100. Both need to be rounded in the same direction. The DPI of 88 is probably borderline case, as 87.5 is the point exactly between 75 and 100.

It seems to be a bug in the NVIDIA driver or in X while TwinView is enabled. Who should I submit the bug report to?
Old 04-27-06, 06:04 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

polpo, does the problem reproduce with the "nv" driver?

Edit: forgot you're using TwinView, which won't work with nv. This sounds like a bug in gtk1 or the core font rendering library.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 04:19 AM   #4
d13f00l

Your fonts are gross, in all 3 screenshots. Notice how parts of the letters are thicker than others? It's not supposed to be like that.

Recompile freetype, disable "autohint", enable BCI, use font hinting.

I was getting similar garbage recently, squished fonts, and trashy looking fonts. Freetype recently started using the autohinter by default. Unless you're using subpixel hinting font AA, it looks like trash IMHO.

Look for distro-specific documentation on how to enable BCI in freetype. Make sure your GTK libraries are up to date as well.

Edit: Also, under KDE's Control Panel, Appearance & Themes, GTK Styles and Fonts, try having GTk use your KDE fonts. It should apply the same settings. I'm not sure if you need the QT GTK engine for that option in the Control Panel or not, if it doesnt show, try installing the QT engine for GTK.
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 09:58 AM   #5
polpo

d13f00l, I realize that the fonts are gross. I just wanted to get them working at the correct aspect ratio first. I now have freetype correctly set up with the bytecode interpreter and everything looks much better.

I don't think this is a GTK1 bug, as the fonts were also squished in "antique" Xlib programs like xfontsel.

Last edited by polpo; 04-28-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 01:39 PM   #6
d13f00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by polpo
d13f00l, I realize that the fonts are gross. I just wanted to get them working at the correct aspect ratio first. I now have freetype correctly set up with the bytecode interpreter and everything looks much better.

I don't think this is a GTK1 bug, as the fonts were also squished in "antique" Xlib programs like xfontsel.
Are they still squished with BCI in use?
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote