Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-28-06, 11:53 AM   #13
pe1chl

Default Re: Beginner's guide to installing driver's?

There is no IP address on your networkcard.
I think you need to start the system administration tool (yast if it is a SuSE system) and configure the network interface. You need to set an IP address or enable DHCP.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 12:08 PM   #14
Hobartimus

Already tried DHCP and manual configuration with no luck.
Hobartimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 12:17 PM   #15
Kevin-B

The output from ifconfig is quite helpful.

It shows that the interface is not up and does not have an IP address assigned to it. There are several possible reasons that this might be the case. (That fact that the interface is found at all suggests that the driver loaded okay. If you suspect that there's still a problem with a driver look in /ver/log/messages for diagnostics.)

Have you defined the method by which the interface is supposed to get its IP address? Take a look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. (You might even post it here.) This file should exist and should contain some basic device (network interface) configuration information. It will specify the name of the device and how it should get its IP address. For example, this is what it might look like if the IP address is obtained via DHCP:

Code:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:13:03:C4:66:BA
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
For a beginner, it's probably easiest to set these parameters by running either
Code:
/usr/sbin/system-config-network-gui
or
Code:
/usr/sbin/system-config-network-tui

After you've run one of these programs, take a look at the file to make sure that the parameters contained therein look reasonable. In particular, pay attention to ONBOOT. If it's not yes, the interface will not be configured when the machine is booted.

Next, you should do:
Code:
/sbin/chkconfig --list network
You should see something like this:
Code:
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
The numbers are runlevels and the on or off indicates whether or not the script /etc/init.d/network is being run for each of those runlevels. By default, you are probably in runlevel 5 (or possibly 3). (You can check this by looking at /etc/inittab.)

If either of runlevel 3 or 5 shows "off", correct this by doing:
Code:
/sbin/chkconfig network on
If it was off and you want to start the network services without a reboot, do:
Code:
/sbin/service network start
Once this is done, run
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0
again and verify that the interface is UP and has an IP address, netmask, and broadcast address assigned to it. If it does, then you ought to be able to ping other machines on your network. If not, take a look in /var/log/messages for diagnostics.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
Kevin-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-06, 12:37 PM   #16
Hobartimus

Being such a newbie, maybe I should just take this guys advice...

Quote:
There was enough glitches in the second install, that I can say if you have a Nvidia card or a motherboard with the Nvidia nForce chipset, you should look elsewhere for a linux o.s. or be prepared to do a fair amount of tweaking.
http://lunapark6.com/?p=481

I'll try your suggestions before I give up.
Old 04-30-06, 01:13 AM   #17
Hobartimus

Well, I followed your instructions step-by-step and get the following in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
# nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:13:d3:c4:66:ba
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.0.106
GATEWAY=67.79.64.149
But, I still have no network activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin-B
The output from ifconfig is quite helpful.

It shows that the interface is not up and does not have an IP address assigned to it. There are several possible reasons that this might be the case. (That fact that the interface is found at all suggests that the driver loaded okay. If you suspect that there's still a problem with a driver look in /ver/log/messages for diagnostics.)

Have you defined the method by which the interface is supposed to get its IP address? Take a look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. (You might even post it here.) This file should exist and should contain some basic device (network interface) configuration information. It will specify the name of the device and how it should get its IP address. For example, this is what it might look like if the IP address is obtained via DHCP:

Code:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:13:03:C4:66:BA
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
For a beginner, it's probably easiest to set these parameters by running either
Code:
/usr/sbin/system-config-network-gui
or
Code:
/usr/sbin/system-config-network-tui

After you've run one of these programs, take a look at the file to make sure that the parameters contained therein look reasonable. In particular, pay attention to ONBOOT. If it's not yes, the interface will not be configured when the machine is booted.

Next, you should do:
Code:
/sbin/chkconfig --list network
You should see something like this:
Code:
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
The numbers are runlevels and the on or off indicates whether or not the script /etc/init.d/network is being run for each of those runlevels. By default, you are probably in runlevel 5 (or possibly 3). (You can check this by looking at /etc/inittab.)

If either of runlevel 3 or 5 shows "off", correct this by doing:
Code:
/sbin/chkconfig network on
If it was off and you want to start the network services without a reboot, do:
Code:
/sbin/service network start
Once this is done, run
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0
again and verify that the interface is UP and has an IP address, netmask, and broadcast address assigned to it. If it does, then you ought to be able to ping other machines on your network. If not, take a look in /var/log/messages for diagnostics.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
Old 04-30-06, 02:28 AM   #18
Kevin-B

With that configuration done, show us what the output from "/sbin/ifconfig eth0" looks like.

You've checked the obvious things, right? (good cable, working hub/switch, working dhcp server,...)

Are there any interesting messages regarding the network in /var/log/messages? (One of the things that I commonly do is to run "tail -f /var/log/messages" in one window and watch for output while I run other commands in some other window.)

Something you can try is to configure the interface (and default route) by hand. E.g., try this:

Code:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up 192.168.0.106 netmask 255.255.255.0
/sbin/route add default gw 67.79.64.149
(I used the parameters that your posted from your ifcfg-eth0 file. Where did these numbers come from? Note that if 192.168.0.106 is already assigned to some other host, this will not work.)

Anyway, try the above (with some suitable IP address) and then make sure it looks right by again running "/sbin/ifconfig eth0". If so, try pinging another host on your network. Use the IP address, not the hostname since name resolution isn't configured yet.

If configuring the interface by hand works, then this means that there's likely a DHCP problem. That is, it could be that your machine is unable to get an IP address from the DHCP server.
Kevin-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-06, 11:09 AM   #19
Hobartimus

I dual boot this machine with Windows XP and have no network problems, so all the obvious stuff is good.

I rebooted in Windows to verify that this machine is being assigned 192.168.0.106 via DHCP. When I booted up Fedora again, I was back at square one: modprobe.conf now shows forcedeth where I had nvnet before, and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is gone?
Old 04-30-06, 02:55 PM   #20
Hobartimus

Making progress! I started from scratch and got the network going. I can access my router, other machines on the network, and my networked printers as well as a shared USB printer from one of the other machines. However, I cannot access the internet. Do I need to set something in Network Proxy? All my other machines are auto-configured. I can't seem to find any other network options or firewall settings.

Old 04-30-06, 04:01 PM   #21
Hobartimus

Guess I got excited too soon. I rebooted and it reverted to forcedeth. This is what etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg- eth0 said before the reboot..

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=yes
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:13:d3:c4:66:ba
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.0.106
Old 04-30-06, 05:47 PM   #22
pe1chl

It looks like you are fighting a Fedora problem, not something related to the nvidia drivers (much less the graphic drivers).
I think you better discuss with a Fedora expert, or try another distribution.
Old 05-01-06, 04:20 PM   #23
Hobartimus

Well, I installed SuSE 10 this morning and got the network setup with very little trouble. The only issue I am having is that if I log out and log back in, I have to reboot to get the network back up. Otherwise, at least it is working.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-02-06, 04:06 AM   #24
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobartimus
Well, I installed SuSE 10 this morning and got the network setup with very little trouble. The only issue I am having is that if I log out and log back in, I have to reboot to get the network back up.
This is very strange, as there is nothing being done to the network when you logoff, as far as I know (and I am using various SuSE versions including 10).

The network is started at boot, and it is restarted when you configure something in YaST. But not when you logoff.
See if you can find messages near the end of /var/log/messages (timestamped at the time you logged off) that indicate something.