Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-06, 02:17 PM   #1
Vladmere

Angry FC5 8756 drivers NVIDIA GO 5700FX 128MB, P4 3Ghz Alienware Laptop

I read the sticky, I tried what it said... I have actually completely re-installed fedora more times than I can count at this point. I have tried 3rd party drivers (I got a metallic brown screen after the installation, if someone knows how to fix that i'll use the 3rd party), I've tried the NVIDIA drivers. I've updated my kernel numerous times, i've tried downloading the sdk and sources first, then using yum update, tried yum update first then sources, then yum update sources, actually gotten it to work once, but it gave me the metallic brown screen again.

I got NVIDIA drivers to work by going into my original kernel, not the updated one, then installing it from there, it then gave me the metallic brown screen of blinding white light (if you've seen it you know what i'm talking about). I want to run doom 3 in linux, otherwise I really wouldn't bother, but I get like 192fps on glxgears with the current setup (wtf?). Does anyone know anything that might work? I've tried lvnia or whatever it's called using yum, it's the only one i've gotten to work by just following given instructions, and it gives me the brown screen.

I'd love to give you logs for all of these but I don't have any for all the times I've whiped my hardrive, I've attached the current one. Right now I ran the instructions EXACTLY as stated in the sticky. I then had to re-direct NVIDIA driver to the location of the kernel, I ran "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2096_FC5-i686" after doing init 3 in a terminal, then having to do ctrl alt F1 because for some reason unless I do that it says i'm still running X even though I'm in a terminal. The drivers compile completely. It then gives an error saying:

"ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most
frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
more information."

I've searched the heck out of the forums, so if I missed something I'm sorry but I haven't seen anything dealing with this on the forums or google. Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (23.8 KB, 127 views)
Vladmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 02:50 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: FC5 8756 drivers NVIDIA GO 5700FX 128MB, P4 3Ghz Alienware Laptop

See:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68681
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-06, 03:02 PM   #3
Vladmere

*smacks forhead* I READ AND DID EXACTLY WHAT THAT SAID!!!! The first thing I said in my post: "I read the sticky and did what it said". I did follow that, that doesn't do me any good, I did the update command and it's not working. It says to run the last 2 lines AFTER the drivers install correct? It's saying failed install.
Old 04-23-06, 03:32 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If the yum update command failed, then that is your current problem, and that needs to be resolved first. How exactly is the yum update command failing?

-Lonni
Old 04-23-06, 03:44 PM   #5
Vladmere

That's my point, it's not failing. Everything is updating fine, the drivers are even compiling correctly, it just gives that error at the end and shoots me back out to a console. I've done everything they said to do and it all has completed successfully according to the installers. I didn't mean by saying "I did the update command and it's not working" that it didn't complete sucessfully, i mean my card still isn't working and the driver still isn't installing.
Old 04-23-06, 05:06 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

For FC5, you shouldn't be installing the nvidia driver package with any special options at all. If that is what you've been doing, that is likely your problem. (Re)install 1.0-8756 with only the -s option. If it fails, please post the installer log.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-23-06, 05:37 PM   #7
arokh

From the installer log it looks like you didn't install the sdk package, since "X install prefix" is set to /usr/X11R6.

Not sure why you're reinstalling the entire OS when you bump into problems, that's not really a good way to solve it. What matters with FC5 is that you update both kernel and kernel-devel to the latest available (and reboot to it), and that you have the sdk installed. After that the nvidia installer should work flawlessly.

Are you actually running 2.6.16-1.2096_FC5-i686? Any hints in dmesg why the module didn't load?
Old 04-23-06, 06:10 PM   #8
Vladmere

I'm re-installing the whole OS because I keep having alot of wasted files on my machine with each different install I've done, that and the fact that some of the times I couldn't even boot because it went to that metallic brown screen. I did actually install the SDK, as far as the -s option, I'm not using -s to install it, I literally went to the sticky, copy and pasted those lines in, then went to a command line and did sh (package), that didn't work and said it couldn't find the kernel so I had to tell it where to find the source path. Does copy and pasting those 2 lines from the sticky not install the sdk? it has a line for it. I finally just redid my computer again, and untill I find a solution posted to this i'm just going to run doom 3 in windows xp I guess. The thing is, i've gotten the drivers to install correctly one time, and when I use 3rd party drivers it installs correctly, but the problem is that when they are loaded, I get this cool looking metallic rust brown screen with strange patterns in it, that eventually fades out to white (I've quickly rebooted in case it was set for the wrong monitor or something to prevent it from damaging my display). The thing is, I've had the drivers installed and actually got them to compile after i posted that log, but it took me back to the brown screen. Is there some possible resolution problem?

Old 04-23-06, 06:16 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please post the output from each command in the FC5 sticky post.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-23-06, 06:21 PM   #10
Vladmere

There weren't any errors that I remember, before I go and make my screen not work again to get you the output, do those 2 lines in the sticky update the kernel or do you have to run the fedora updater BEFORE doing those 2 lines? I was under the impression those 2 lines updated the kernel as well, could this maybe be the problem or does it matter? Also do I need to do all of these commands in a shell or can I do them with fedora running?
Old 04-23-06, 06:29 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you boot to runlevel 3 instead of 5, then X won't start, and you won't have problems with your display. I'm not clear what the "fedora updater" is that you've referenced. Running the commands in the FC5 sticky post are all that is needed after a new/fresh FC5 installation to make the nvidia X driver work.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-23-06, 06:47 PM   #12
Vladmere

As far as I've been able to gather, you can't go into runlevel 3 with the fedora unless maybe you make it so it doesn't auto-start x, or you change to init 3 in a terminal and then do ctrl alt f1. there's an updater that updates your kernel that's included in the distro. I'm going to try this ONE more time, and then I'm giving up if this doesn't work. As for the brown screen, do you know what is causing that?