Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-07, 08:17 AM   #25
rerushg

Send a message via AIM to rerushg
Default Re: 1080i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow
I'm having almost the exact same problem.
There are issues with the later drivers and 1080i. Suggest you look carefully at this thread:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90084

Look especially at the MVinny post of 4/26/07 @ 11:28 PM

Good luck.
rerushg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 05:49 PM   #26
crow

The key line from the post you mentioned:
Quote:
ModeLine "1920x1080i" 74.2 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1088 1091 1121 +hsync +vsync interlace
Besides that, it's just a matter of using the mode validation options to stop it from getting rejected (easily verified with the log).

I've tried a bunch almost exactly like that, and they don't work for me. I'm back to the 8776 drivers, and I don't think I'll have time to work on this again for a while. (I do want to upgrade, as I'm having XvMC problems that I hope will go away with newer drivers.)
crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 06:51 PM   #27
rerushg

Quote:
I've tried a bunch almost exactly like that, and they don't work for me.
I'm surprized. I'm running the 9755 driver on my HDTV now.
Interestingly, it isn't really the modeline that's the issue so much as the xorg.conf mode validations. Once xorg.conf is set up you can drive almost any modeline you want.
If you want to post a verbose bug report or log file I'd be glad to take a look.
Old 06-11-07, 01:55 PM   #28
tld

I'm using the 9755 drivers with a GeForce 7100GS card. If I try to use the built in modes I get a display that appears twice as high as it should, where I only see half the screen. I'm able to get 1080i with a custom ModeLine and Option "ModeValidation" "NoVertRefreshCheck".

Out of curiousity, I tried going to the 8776 driver. The main reason I tried this is because of other issues (where 1080i content diaplyed at 1080i gets occasional motion blur unless the player program deinterlaces it...yuk). Some have reported that the 8776 driver didn't have this issue, though reports are mixed.

Unfortunately, with the 8776 driver, while I was able to get 1080i (my MythTV menu for example), playing video content gets nothing but a blank screen, and a short amount of audio. Apparently this is due to the combination of the 8776 and the 7100 cards...others have had the same problem.

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 02:55 PM   #29
Senor Hubris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
Unfortunately, with the 8776 driver, while I was able to get 1080i (my MythTV menu for example), playing video content gets nothing but a blank screen, and a short amount of audio. Apparently this is due to the combination of the 8776 and the 7100 cards...others have had the same problem.
This is due to an XV issue. If you set 0/XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank to 0 in your .nvidia-settings-rc it should work. You may experience tearing however.

Also, make certain your .nvidia-settings-rc doesn't have any options that the 8776 doesn't recognize otherwise your changes to the file will be ignored.
Senor Hubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 10:40 PM   #30
crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerushg
Interestingly, it isn't really the modeline that's the issue so much as the xorg.conf mode validations. Once xorg.conf is set up you can drive almost any modeline you want.
If you want to post a verbose bug report or log file I'd be glad to take a look.
I've gone through the verbose log, and the modes aren't getting rejected. Every mode that I've tried either won't sync with my TV (a Sony CRT), or turns out as 1920x540.

I've attached my xorg.conf (comments stripped) and the verbose log.
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (115.2 KB, 133 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.8 KB, 149 views)
crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 07:52 PM   #31
rerushg

[quote=crow]Every mode that I've tried either won't sync with my TV (a Sony CRT), or turns out as 1920x540. [quote]

Looked through your log but nothing jumped out at me. Likewise your xorg.conf.
Here's my xorg.conf FYI. (Panasonic 47" Proj. TV).
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (5.0 KB, 172 views)
Old 06-12-07, 09:30 PM   #32
asdere

Quote:
I've gone through the verbose log, and the modes aren't getting rejected. Every mode that I've tried either won't sync with my TV (a Sony CRT), or turns out as 1920x540.

I've attached my xorg.conf (comments stripped) and the verbose log.
Have you tried taking ExactModeTimingsDVI out or False?
asdere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-07, 09:24 AM   #33
tld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Hubris
This is due to an XV issue. If you set 0/XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank to 0 in your .nvidia-settings-rc it should work. You may experience tearing however.

Also, make certain your .nvidia-settings-rc doesn't have any options that the 8776 doesn't recognize otherwise your changes to the file will be ignored.
Wow...almost doesn't seem worth messing with, given that tearing is the very issue I was hoping to address by downgrading the driver. Also, with the 9xxx drivers, the XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank was one of the few things that improved the tearing, though not enough to let me disable deinterlacing in MythTV.

I know from other threads you've had the same issues that I have. Have you made any progress with 1080i content without deinterlacing? Is there any evidence that nVidia is even aware of the issue, or any hope that they'll ever address it as far as you've seen?

There is that other issue where the built-in 1080i modes don't seem to be working correctly, and I think they've acknowledged that issue. I've not seen any evidence that they've acknowledged the tearing issue of 1080i content at @1080i.

It's really a shame too...if I disable deinterlacing, the tearing comes and goes (as others have experienced, where it will work ok for maybe 15 seconds and then sort of drift out of sync). However during those short durations when it's ok, it looks awesome.

Tom
Old 06-13-07, 06:17 PM   #34
Senor Hubris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
Wow...almost doesn't seem worth messing with, given that tearing is the very issue I was hoping to address by downgrading the driver. Also, with the 9xxx drivers, the XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank was one of the few things that improved the tearing, though not enough to let me disable deinterlacing in MythTV.
Well, some people I have talked with have stated that the tearing they experience after disabling that option is tolerable (when they use the 8xxx driver). I tried it, but the sync issue I have posted about before were still very evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
I know from other threads you've had the same issues that I have. Have you made any progress with 1080i content without deinterlacing? Is there any evidence that nVidia is even aware of the issue, or any hope that they'll ever address it as far as you've seen?
I have made no progress whatsoever. I tried using an nvidia card with a component dongle. The 1080x540 problem doesn't exist (I can use a builtin modeline), but the sync issue is just as pronounced. This suggests, to me, that even if the 1080x540 problem is fixed that the sync issue will still be around. I initially had assumed that they were somehow related.

Is nVidia aware of the issue? I don't know. I would guess 'no'. I've never seen nVidia respond to anyone who mentions having the problem. The closest to a response was the first time I ever posted about the sync issue and netllama asked me if I was using SyncToVBlank. I said 'yes', and all I heard after that was silence. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
There is that other issue where the built-in 1080i modes don't seem to be working correctly, and I think they've acknowledged that issue. I've not seen any evidence that they've acknowledged the tearing issue of 1080i content at @1080i.
This mirrors my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
It's really a shame too...if I disable deinterlacing, the tearing comes and goes (as others have experienced, where it will work ok for maybe 15 seconds and then sort of drift out of sync). However during those short durations when it's ok, it looks awesome.
Yep. My TV claims to upconvert 1080i to 1500i and it really looks good, especially sports, but other things look great too. Of course, with the sync issue I can't watch any 1080i content unless I am using a 720p modeline.
Senor Hubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 10:15 AM   #35
tld

Quote:
Yep. My TV claims to upconvert 1080i to 1500i and it really looks good, especially sports, but other things look great too. Of course, with the sync issue I can't watch any 1080i content unless I am using a 720p modeline.
Right now I'm using a 1080i Modeline, but I have deinterlacing enabled in MythTV. 1080i content is tolderable like that but definately not great. Are you using 720p all the time?

By the way, I was looking at this thread which apears to be about interlacing issues with the TV out with the 9631 driver. They've apparently entered a bug regarding this. I asked if it might be related to the 1080i issues but haven't received any response:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82141

Tom
Old 06-15-07, 02:08 PM   #36
tld

Quote:
Today I was able to get video content to play in MythTV with the 8776, but only by disabling XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank, which causes absolutely aweful tearing with deinterlacing off.

One more question on this one...my card is a 7600GS. Is it also necessary to turn off XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank with the 6200 cards to get content to play with teh 8776 drivers? crow has reported having good luck with the 5200 card and the 8776 driver. I'm wonderring if the working combination is a card that will let you use the 8776 driver with XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank enabled.

My problem is that my frontend has only PCI Express which, as far as I can see, rules out everything older than the 6200 cards.

At this point I'd be willing to buy a card if I thought it would help, but I sure can't replace my nice little small form factor frontend with one that has AGP.

Tom