Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-15-07, 05:11 PM   #37
Senor Hubris

Default Re: 1080i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
Today I was able to get video content to play in MythTV with the 8776, but only by disabling XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank, which causes absolutely aweful tearing with deinterlacing off.

One more question on this one...my card is a 7600GS. Is it also necessary to turn off XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank with the 6200 cards to get content to play with teh 8776 drivers? crow has reported having good luck with the 5200 card and the 8776 driver. I'm wonderring if the working combination is a card that will let you use the 8776 driver with XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank enabled.
I have a fanless 6200, a 6600 with a component dongle, and a 7600. I have tried them all with no success with recent drivers and the 8776 driver. This is on a PCI-E AMD64 AM2 board.

To answer your other question ("Do you have to turn off XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank with the 6200 cards?") the answer is 'yes'.
Senor Hubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 05:17 PM   #38
Senor Hubris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
Right now I'm using a 1080i Modeline, but I have deinterlacing enabled in MythTV. 1080i content is tolderable like that but definately not great.
Which deinterlacing algorithm are you using? Bob simply doesn't work for me since I can't double my refresh rate. Linear and kernel were 'okay', but had obvious problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
Are you using 720p all the time?
Yes.

The mythtv -vid branch lets you micro-manage your resolutions so one could use that branch to allow scenarios where you could use a 1080i modeline when the content to be played was < 1080i and use a 720p modeline when the content was 1080i. It's just another workaround though. I run bleeding edge, trunk, mythtv. I don't know that I'm quite ready to make the leap to using the -vid branch.
Senor Hubris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 09:14 AM   #39
mgandalf

Ok, I'm having the exact same issue. I had a 7600GS which I got working, primarily with NoVertRefreshCheck set. I put in an 8500GT and no matter what other options I set nor what mode I try using, my Sony 1080i Tv won't sync over DVI. Without NoVertRefreshCheck, nothing above 720p gets validated.

I've seen many people discussing this issue and I've seen a few driver versions come out since the original report but I haven't seen much response from NVidia on the issue. I'm getting a tad discouraged.

- Mark.

EDIT: Ok, I managed to get a working 1080i mode. My modeline:

Code:
ModeLine        "myATSC-1080-60i" 74.24 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1084 1094 1125 Interlace +hsync +vsync
And the options necessary:

Code:
        Option          "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
        Option          "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
- Mark.
mgandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 05:34 PM   #40
crow

I tried again with 100.14.19, and with EDID modes, the 1080i mode is still doubling all the lines, showing the top half of the image filling the entire screen. With all the modelines I've tried, including the ones above, I just get a black screen--they validate, but aren't generating something that my TV will sync to.

There's a reference to nVidia being aware of the problem--that's not the same problem. That was a tearing problem when the mode was displaying. I'm not sure they are clued in to this issue.
crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 08:31 PM   #41
Blammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow
I tried again with 100.14.19, and with EDID modes, the 1080i mode is still doubling all the lines, showing the top half of the image filling the entire screen. With all the modelines I've tried, including the ones above, I just get a black screen--they validate, but aren't generating something that my TV will sync to.

There's a reference to nVidia being aware of the problem--that's not the same problem. That was a tearing problem when the mode was displaying. I'm not sure they are clued in to this issue.
Same here.. attaching my 'startx' log with debug level 6.

For now, I can't get ANY 1080i lines working without the double/half issue.. just 720p.

NV 5700U, RHEL5, 100.14.19 drivers, Sony 60, DVI-to-HDMI
Attached Files
File Type: gz startx.log.gz (15.7 KB, 97 views)
Blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 05:44 PM   #42
tld

Wow...anyone else see this sticky?:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104706

Note this line:

"Improved support for interlaced DVI, HDMI, and HDTV modesetting."

Could that possibly mean an end to the tearing issues, or just the issues with built in modes not working? If anyone else gives it a try, please report back.

Crossing fingers....

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 11:50 PM   #43
asdere

The setup and detection of 1080i devices seems to work fine now. I didn't need to setup modelines or validation options, pretty much a default xorg.conf.

However, the problem of displaying 1080i video thru the 1080i output still isn't working correctly and still needs to be deinterlaced. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ighlight=60.05

nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate still shows 60.05, which is wrong wrong wrong. My guess is that 60.05 is hardcoded as the timing to use to display interlaced video and causing the 'jittery'/'juddering' display and that's why 1080i video content tends to blend the current and next lines periodically.
asdere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 10:34 AM   #44
tld

I haven't tried the new driver yet, but users on the MythTV users mailing list are also reporting that the interlaced tearing issues are still there.

I thought I had read about everything on this forum about that issue, but I had never seen your posts about the 60.05 RefreshRate...very interesting. That's what mine reports as well.

The fact that the sync seems drift in and out at even time intervals certainly sounds like something that could be caused by that.

Tom

Old 12-29-07, 05:46 PM   #45
philvid

Confirmed interlaced display modes work correctly with the new driver now on my Sony TV. However as reported by some here, the 'tearing' issues appear periodically, every 10-15 seconds or so where the interlacing artifacts appear and disappear.

Will have to back out to progressive plus deinterlace until this works correctly.

Good work Nvidia for at least fixing the screen stretch and interlace problem!
philvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 10:53 AM   #46
misterflibble

I don't think the nVidia drivers are to blame for the video drifting in and out of interlace sync at 1080i in Mythtv, see this thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/307137
where I detailed how I was able to get it to stay in sync, and it apparently works for both component and dvi so far, despite nvidia's utility showing refresh rates of 29.97 and 60.05 respectively.
misterflibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 09:47 PM   #47
philvid

I tested a 1080i video playback with mplayer using native 1080i video mode from the driver (1920x1080_50i) and it resulted in exactly the same type of artifacts at the exact same locations in the video. I can even reproduce with a still frame by pausing the output on those specific frames. Whether that means much I dont know, I dont understand enough about the video pipeline to know where the problem is being caused.

Interestingly for my 50Hz video I get a refreshrate of 50.04 reported.
philvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 06:38 PM   #48
tld

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterflibble
I don't think the nVidia drivers are to blame for the video drifting in and out of interlace sync at 1080i in Mythtv, see this thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/307137
where I detailed how I was able to get it to stay in sync, and it apparently works for both component and dvi so far, despite nvidia's utility showing refresh rates of 29.97 and 60.05 respectively.
As you remember, I replied to that one.

I don't understand how you figure that that's somehow an indication that the driver's not the problem...not to mention that, as philvid pointed out, other players other than mythtv have the same issues. Also don't forget that 1080i worked great with old 8xxx nvidia drivers.

It may well be that the only reason your test works is because it requires using the video as a timebase...which is never the default in any player program, as audio can be unforgiving about dropping stuff. If anything, this may be a sign that the incorrect RefreshRate reported by the driver may be the source of the problem.

Tom