Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-31-02, 03:25 PM   #25
cenkog

Haven't you ever exchanged or borrowed a book or magazine in your whole life?

Quote:
Originally posted by r2d2d3d4d5
I canít believe you people. You are not just reaping off the record/software industry but also hard working musicians and software engineers. You are costing people their jobs and stifling the industries whose products you love so much. You people should be ashamed. Ashamed I say.

Last edited by cenkog; 09-01-02 at 11:51 PM.
cenkog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-02, 05:22 PM   #26
The Baron

WinMX--for some reason, I could never get eD2k to work decently. Oh well.
Old 09-11-02, 11:42 PM   #27
Essense

I used to use Edonkey 2000 for a long time. Now I use Overnet, it's buggy and still has some problems. But it's just easier to use cause it's serverless. Just set it and forget it. It's not as fast as Edonkey yet, but Eonkey requires much more maintanence. I know absolutely nothing about MIRC, or other IRC trading. Send me some info on it if you get time Madthumbs, PM me

Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Matthyahuw; 09-12-02 at 12:39 AM.
Old 09-13-02, 01:14 AM   #28
Essense

Whew! before I get into all that, is it really worth it? What can you find on IRC that can't be had in Edonkey/Overnet. It's not always the fastest, but I always get what im looking for. Just curious to how good it really is, what about large 600+ MB files? Does IRC support Resume, and Download from multiple people?

Overnet has really been rockin the last couple days,my friend said he downloaded Star Wars Episode II, 40 days 40 nights, Spiderman, Panic Room, changing lanes, Windows XP Corp edition with SP1 integrated all in the past 48 hours, oddly enough his transfer rates where buzzing around 180 KB/sec. Quite unusual. perhaps they are just popular files. I told him he needs to quit that though, the MPAA is gonna git that sucka! Not to mention the SPA. He needs to go out and buy that stuff anyways, what a cheap bastard!

Regards,
Mike
Old 09-13-02, 06:33 AM   #29
StealthHawk

IRC doesn't support downloads from multiple people, but it does support resumes(assuming the file names are the same)

when you say downloads from multiple people i'm assuming that you're referring to the technology used by many download accelerator programs where the file is split and downloaded.

if you can find everything you want, IRC isn't worth it. IRC is good if you have to be the first person on the block to download that new movie, etc.
Old 09-13-02, 02:12 PM   #30
de><ta
prodigy

Any 1 know much about Direct Connect ?

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 04:47 PM   #31
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Bah...

I'm sticking with Usenet
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-02, 06:11 PM   #32
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by de&gt;&lt;ta
Any 1 know much about Direct Connect ?
it's not very leech friendly. most hubs(akin to channels in IRC) make users adhere to having a certain amount of data shared and a certain amount of slots shared.

in my experience, it's also hard to find people with good upload speed, and i find myself uploading a lot more than i'm downloading. whereas with p2p software or IRC i usually just leech. and when i say "good" upload speed i mean anything over 15K/sec.

DC seems to be somewhat more elitist in that manner, requiring people to share, which works both ways. AFAIK you also can't throttle your bandwidth, which pisses me off when i want to play a game online and my ping jumps into the hundreds.

Old 09-16-02, 11:19 PM   #33
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I used Kazaa Lite and eDonkey.

Overnet is based on microsoft .NET, so it may be serverless, but running over .NET gives me more privacy worries than eDonkey does.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote