Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-04, 06:39 AM   #61
Panarello

Default Re: Guide to A7N8X Under Linux

Hi Yanntech , you make your onboard lan work ?
I have the problem with my lan and sound onboard i m using Slackware 9.1 .
I try this but the lan not working

bash-2.05b# ls
NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gz nforce pasta
bash-2.05b# cd nforce/nvnet
bash-2.05b# make
cc -c -Wall -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O -Wstrict-prototypes -DCONFIG_PM -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4 -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.4.22/build/include -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.22/build/include/linux/modversions.h nvnet.c
ld -r -o temp.o nvnet.o nvnetlib.o
objcopy --strip-symbol="gcc2_compiled." temp.o
cp temp.o nvnet.o
rm temp.o
bash-2.05b# make install
mkdir -p //lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net
install -b -m 644 nvnet.o //lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net
bash-2.05b# modprobe nvnet
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
Module nvnet loaded, with warnings
bash-2.05b#
Panarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 06:56 AM   #62
YannTech

My Ethernet card has been disable, i use a Wi-fi

but for sound he work's with intel8x0 but is not fabulous :-( try using dmix to resolve multiple sound work in the same time ..... I Wait a new NVIDIA module ....

On 2.6.x kernel a module for nForce LAN has create (reverse engienering) >> forcedeath

Good luck Yann
YannTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-04, 02:53 PM   #63
liviu

I need a driver for nforce-2 .My operating system is Mandrake 9.1.Please help me!
My e-mail adress is liviu_preda2000@yahoo.com .
liviu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 11:25 AM   #64
masinger53

I would really like to read the guide but the link is broken: 404 error. It would be great if someone could fix the link or re-post or some such. Can't seem to get the onboard NIC to work on my RH9.0 partition and need some help.

Thanks,

M.A.
masinger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 03:40 PM   #65
m@dxray

Yes, it's down a while but still sticky and it seems no one cares. I wrote to the author...no answer. I wrote to the moderator...no answer!
It's very @~#!!?o0°...and still *sticky*
Which one of your nic's do you mean?
The Marvel gigabitethernetcontroller (module sk98lin) is supported afaik since kernel 2.4.22 and via marvel...just google, the nforce-net is part of the nforce-1.***.* driver don't forgot to load module!
And last but not least kernel 2.6.* has an alternative named "forcedeth"...which work's dependable.

hope 2 help
m@dxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-04, 03:21 PM   #66
The_Mercenary

Question Re: Guide to A7N8X Under Linux

Hi All

I use SuSE 9.0 with Kernel 2.4.21-144 since this is the one that comes with the distribution. I exactly followed the instructions in the NVidia readme to compile the drivers. I installed the necessary packages to build them an then ran make and
make install. As a result of this I get some warnings about unresolved symbols and tainted modules but still it compiles.

Also there are several messages about a User "buildmeister" thats missing an that make is using user root instead. make install then doesn't put the compiled files in

/lib/modules/2.4.21-144-athlon/kernel/drivers/sound & .../net

but puts them into

/lib/modules/2.4.21-override-athlon/kernel/drivers/sound & .../net

and when I try to insmod, then this fails cause of unresolved symbols

I can absolutely not figure out why this happens. There are no errors when i do the preparing steps in the readme before I start compiling...

The only thing I can imagine is that the Kernel shipped with the 9.0 distribution has no builtin support for the build modules.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me.
I'm very desperate 'cause I want to use my nforce NIC and sound properly

edit:
-------------------------------------------------------------

BTW I'd really dislike to rebuild my kernel cos everytime I tried this, I had some success but some parts of my system always became messed up...
The_Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 12:45 PM   #67
marcou

Default Re: agpgart code fails to compile

Ciao,

I have exactly the same problem. To make the agpgart compile with nvidia patch, I had to the line of the patch containing agp_bridge.num_of_masks=1:

//agp_bridge.num_of_masks = 1;

then agpgart compiles and can be loaded and work... until you use it.

I have an ATI Radeon 9200 (I was really stupid buying that sh..) so I installed the fglrx driver of ATI. Everything goes right during installation. But X does not start because when trying to use the drivers for the AGP and for the card, it arrives to strange error of memory allocation. There is obviously a big mistake for who use suse withe kernel 2.4.20... I do not know if it is an agpgart or ATI error...

I am considering upgrading to suse 9.1... kernel 2.6 seems to have less problems...

If anyone have some comment on this, it would be nice.

Thanks.
marcou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 01:53 PM   #68
dcm

Exclamation MODERATOR: why is this still sticky?

Given that the guide is now "404 - not found", and there are no known mirrors, shouldn't this thread be made non-sticky so it can sink into obscurity?
dcm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-04, 12:41 PM   #69
Thoreau

Default No Guide No Where.. HELP NVIDIA!

OK, Suse 9.1 A7N8X... who's got that damn thing to work and can understand/explain it?

nvnet is hosing the kernel:

# make
cc -c -Wall -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O2 -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DMODULE -DCONFIG_PM -falign-functions=4 -I/lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include nvenet.c
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/irq.h:20,
from /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
from /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
from nvenet.h:30,
from nvenet.c:22:
/lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/irq.h:70: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/irq.h:72,
from /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:28: error: `NR_IRQ_VECTORS' undeclared here (not in a function)
/lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:31: error: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_open':
nvenet.c:692: warning: passing arg 2 of `request_irq' from incompatible pointer type
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_remove':
nvenet.c:1214: error: structure has no member named `driver_data'
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_reboot_handler':
nvenet.c:2360: warning: implicit declaration of function `pci_for_each_dev'
nvenet.c:2361: error: parse error before '{' token
nvenet.c: At top level:
nvenet.c:2367: error: parse error before '}' token
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_full_info_open':
nvenet.c:2605: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/module.h:515)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_hardware_info_open':
nvenet.c:2645: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/module.h:515)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_command_line_open':
nvenet.c:2686: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/module.h:515)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_configuration_open':
nvenet.c:2727: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/module.h:515)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_rx_stats_open':
nvenet.c:2762: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/module.h:515)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_tx_stats_open':
nvenet.c:2804: warning: `MOD_INC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/module.h:515)
nvenet.c: In function `nvenet_proc_release':
nvenet.c:2821: warning: `MOD_DEC_USE_COUNT' is deprecated (declared at /lib/modules/2.6.4-54.5-default/build/include/linux/module.h:527)
make: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1

It's not a group name issue. The driver is just crap. Help a brother out Nvidia! Jesus jumped up palomina... what a pisser.
Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 08:52 AM   #70
The_Mercenary

Hmm...

I installed SuSE 9.1 on my A7N8X Deluxe 2.0... everything went fine.
Net is working and Sound too... I'll give up trying to compile drivers that don't even compile... (I have the same errors Thoreau has)

Why is it so difficult to do a driver that works for the Release Version of SuSE 9.1 without upgrading something like the Kernel or other stuff?
Have to compile this and that.. download this package ... modifiing that file etc.
I'm tired of it...
Wouldn't it be possible to write an installer like the one for the graphics driver?
Download it ---> execute it ---> if neccesary it downloads and compiles the neccessary **** ---> working ... ?
Just a suggestion so don't take it personal
The_Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 01:08 PM   #71
kennyg

I am running Fedora Core 2 kernel 2.6.6 on this board and having trouble updating the nic drivers. Both don't work. There is a patch for the nics but for kernel 2.6.4
http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect...8lin_2.6.2.htm

Does anyone know how to implement this patch on a 2.6.6 kernel?

Cheers!
Ken
kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 05:00 AM   #72
as400

for some reason I can't get to your work. Is the link correct and the site up?
as400 is offline   Reply With Quote