Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-03-06, 01:39 AM   #1
elreydetodo

Default flickering in all video playback

I've got a Geforce 6200 PCI-E card in my Gentoo box. I cannot figure out a few things:
1) Why the heck is the refresh rate 50Hz?
2) Why doesn't XvMC work even though I've got it compiled in to mplayer and xine?
3) Why does my video playback exhibit horizontal flickering lines?

The first problem I have tried my best to fix. Doesn't seem that difficult, right? There are no errors in my log, no mention of what refresh rate is set, no list of available modes. The only way I know it's a problem is that gnome's resolution program says it's 50 and turning on interlaced mode in xine corrects a sort of horizontal alignment issue. The output of xvidinfo doesn't say much really.

The XvMC problem is interesting. I have the option to do use that output, but `mplayer -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc` gives me this error: Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x44495658. Xine won't even start with Xvmm and freezes when I try to switch to it at runtime. I'd love to see how well XvMC works but I can't seem to make it go!

The third problem is the main one that has been pissing me off since I built this computer. When I'm watching a video (DVD, xvid, divx, mpeg2, doesn't matter which) in any player (xine-ui, totem w/ gstreamer, mplayer) using any output (xv, shm, gl, gl2) I see flickers on the screen. They occure primarily in a scene with lots of motion, sometimes in quick fades. It seems to be source and format-irrelevant. I cannot figure out for the life of me what is wrong. I don't seem to have problems with opengl stuff, video in general is not slow (well firefox scrolling isn't great) but the system seems fine except for this.

The actual flickering just appears like a frame split where there's a line somewhere on the frame and the top is playing one frame and the bottom is playing another. Sometimes there are more than one on the screen at a time. It seems to me that it might be related to my refresh rate problem but I can't seem to fix that to test. Any ideas on fixing any of these three problems would be appreciated!

More info on my setup: I'm running an Athlon64 with an nforce-4 motherboard, Geforce 6200 PCI-E, two LCDs at different resolutions (using TwinView) connected by a DVI and VGA port. I'm running Gentoo with ~amd64 keyword.
elreydetodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 05:16 PM   #2
elreydetodo

Default Re: flickering in all video playback

Update: I've finally noticed that the flickering only happens when the video is being shown on my DVI-connected LCD, a 19" ViewSonic VA1912wb widescreen. The videos seem to play fine on my 19" FujiPLUS VGA-connected LCD.

I'm not sure how this helps but it would seem to be an issue with TwinView or some TwinView-related setup thing.
Old 05-03-06, 10:42 PM   #3
squidy

I personnally experience horizontal flickering (see http://www.squidy.info/video_playback.jpg) only when the video is played back full-screen at 1920x1200 on my DVI connected Dell 2405FPW.

All media players produce the same defects, using Xv or XvMC. When I use Opengl or X11, the problem dissapear (along with the quality of playback ). One other way to workaround the problem is to move the window about 100px left or right so that the "fullscreen" window does not touch the sides.

I seriously doubt the problem is in my graphic card (FX5200) as the defect is only present at that specific resolution.

I'd really like to solve the issue as I now own a pcHDTV and I will be watchin more HD content soon!

Help please! I can't find any more help on google
squidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 01:02 AM   #4
elreydetodo

That doesn't look like my problem exactly... the horizontal lines I observe are clearly defined. The image in unaffected other than the line and the fact that different frames seem to appear in each area. There is no blurring or other distortion really.

Does anyone know a way I can force my resolution to be 60Hz, or at least figure out exactly what it is for each monitor? Since I'm not specifying it must be selected *somewhere*!
Old 05-04-06, 03:51 AM   #5
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidy
I seriously doubt the problem is in my graphic card (FX5200) as the defect is only present at that specific resolution.
It is. I had the same problem with my FX5200 card.
After replacing it with a 6600GT this problem is gone!

This does not mean all problems are solved. Software decoding is fine at all resolutions of movie and picture, and I can play a standard resolution movie scaled up to 1920x1200 with XvMC (although it looks ugly due to the lack of de-interlacing), but playing a HD (1080i) movie using XvMC does not work.
HD movies can (just) be played using software decoding, so that solves it for now. But others do report that XvMC works for them on HD resolution. No idea what is going on.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 03:55 AM   #6
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elreydetodo
Does anyone know a way I can force my resolution to be 60Hz
Look in the X server logfile to see what it has decided and why, and read the driver README to find options to correct what is going wrong.
Maybe the card has a too low limit on pixel clock, or there are other parameters of the monitor that are being checked and the driver believes the check fails. But there are options in the README to disable those checks and this usually solves those problems.
Old 05-04-06, 03:57 AM   #7
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elreydetodo
The XvMC problem is interesting. I have the option to do use that output, but `mplayer -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc` gives me this error: Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x44495658.
You are trying to play a DIVX movie.
XvMC only supports MPEG movies with the (current) nvidia drivers.
Old 05-04-06, 04:30 AM   #8
elreydetodo

Thanks for clarifying the XvMC thing. I guess I was trying to run it with some not-mpeg format.

I've got a screenshot of my problem: http://users.wpi.edu/~viking/ss.png

It's clearly trying to display 3 frames on the screen at once. Look at the position of the lines on the shirt, it looks like three sequential frames made it to the screen at one time somehow.

As for the refresh rate thing (which I suspect is somehow related to the video playback problem), there is not a single error in my X log and only one warning. This is the entire part relating to video initialization:

(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "CursorShadow" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "UseEdidFreqs"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "UseEdidFreqs"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1440x900;"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "VertRefresh" "DFP-0: 59-61; CRT-0: 59-61"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling cursor shadow
(**) NVIDIA(0): TwinView enabled
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 6600 at PCI:5:0:0
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.43.02.57.00
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce 6600 at PCI:5:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0): KTC FP-988D (CRT-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VA1912wSERIES (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): KTC FP-988D (CRT-0): 400 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VA1912wSERIES (DFP-0): 155 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): ViewSonic VA1912wSERIES (DFP-0): Internal Single Link TMDS
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Devices: CRT-0, DFP-0
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0): "1280x1024,1440x900"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 2720 x 1024
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No size information available in CRT-0's EDID; cannot compute
(WW) NVIDIA(0): DPI from EDID.
(==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(II) do I need RAC? No, I don't.

I'm sure my Xorg.0.log used to contain much more info about modes and stuff, I don't know where it went!

Here's the device section from xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "gf6600"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "backingstore" "true"
Option "CursorShadow" "true"

### TWINVIEW ###
Option "TwinView"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "RightOf"
Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1440x900;"
# The next lines were attempts to fix refresh, they failed.
Option "VertRefresh" "DFP-0: 59-61; CRT-0: 59-61"
# Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "UseEdidFreqs"
# Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "UseEdidFreqs"
EndSection

Would it help if I pasted the entire Xorg.0.log file and/or xorg.conf? The thing that confuses me most is that I set VertRefresh in my xorg.conf and it just got ignored! How can it be this difficult to set my freaking refresh rate?!?

Old 05-04-06, 04:50 AM   #9
pe1chl

This is "tearing". It is probably caused by the mismatch between screen refresh rate and movie frame rate. Although I find it difficult to explain why there are two lines in the same frame.

nvidia people will probably request you to turn on verbose logging in the X server:
startx -- -logverbose 5

you can then run the nvidia-bug-report.sh script to collect all info about your system in a single file and attach that to a posting.
Old 05-04-06, 08:32 AM   #10
squidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
HD movies can (just) be played using software decoding, so that solves it for now. But others do report that XvMC works for them on HD resolution. No idea what is going on.
Would you know a model that plays HD movies through XvMC? if I have to change my card, better do it for the right one
squidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 01:34 PM   #11
pe1chl

I have no idea what the problem is. I think I read somewhere that other people did not have the same problem with HD, and with the same chip.

The problem with the FX5200 and 1920x1200 is reported by several users.
You can use the search function on the forum and look for XvMC.