Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-06, 06:53 AM   #25
shelbydz

Default Re: GeForce 7800 GS (AGP!!) = disappointment

FWIT:
I'm having much the same issue. I just bought a 7800 gs, upgrading from my 5900xt. I installed the 8756 drivers. My linux native games run great. At least 20 fps more (from 40ish to capped at 60 on Doom3 and Quake 4).

However, my Cedega games have not improved at ALL. I have the same prob where even if I change the resolution, there's no change at all. This is with WoW, GTA:SA and HL2.
My system:
P4 2.6 w/ 1.5g ram
Ubuntu Breezy w/ 2.6.12-9-686-smp kernel.
7800gs w/ 8756 drivers.

Is it a kernel scheduling issue?
Old 05-12-06, 10:07 AM   #26
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbydz
FWIT:
I'm having much the same issue. I just bought a 7800 gs, upgrading from my 5900xt. I installed the 8756 drivers. My linux native games run great. At least 20 fps more (from 40ish to capped at 60 on Doom3 and Quake 4).

However, my Cedega games have not improved at ALL. I have the same prob where even if I change the resolution, there's no change at all. This is with WoW, GTA:SA and HL2.
My system:
P4 2.6 w/ 1.5g ram
Ubuntu Breezy w/ 2.6.12-9-686-smp kernel.
7800gs w/ 8756 drivers.

Is it a kernel scheduling issue?
No, it's a cpu bound issue. Upgrading your CPU would bring you better perfomance.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 12:42 PM   #27
shelbydz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
No, it's a cpu bound issue. Upgrading your CPU would bring you better perfomance.
Then why did I get a huge increase on the native games, and nothing from the DirectX games under Cedega? If I change the resolution in my cedega games. there's NO change in FPS. I generally run 1280x1024, if I drop down to 800x600, then I STILL only get 20-30 fps in WoW.

It seems that for about 5 seconds, right when the games start, they're running at 60ish, then they drop down. I don't think its a CPU issue.
Old 05-13-06, 02:32 AM   #28
Doubledr

Quote:
Then why did I get a huge increase on the native games, and nothing from the DirectX games under Cedega? If I change the resolution in my cedega games. there's NO change in FPS. I generally run 1280x1024, if I drop down to 800x600, then I STILL only get 20-30 fps in WoW.

It seems that for about 5 seconds, right when the games start, they're running at 60ish, then they drop down. I don't think its a CPU issue.
haha, welcome, another 'victim'. Please remeber, all DirectX games running under Linux is actually using opengl mode.

ur post proves that the problem might not be a kernel problem because you got nice improvement on native games.
Doubledr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 07:22 AM   #29
shelbydz

So, I actually have the option to take the card back. I'm now having some other computer problems which'll require me to get a new Motherboard, and I can go ahead and make the upgrade to pcix. Is the fps problem w/ just the 7800 agp, or if I get a 7800pci, will it be superfast?

thanks.
Old 05-13-06, 07:25 AM   #30
Lithorus

Quote:

Like what Doubledr said, but also see my earlier explanation on why cedega is so CPU bound.

Here is a little "illustration":

Native
Code:
Game(CPU) <-> Driver(CPU/GPU)
Cedga game
Code:
Game(CPU) -> Cedega(CPU) <-> Driver(CPU/GPU)
As you can see the game cannot talk directly to the driver and can therefore only support the features that Cedega provides for it. Cedega then have to talk to the driver to best emulate the features needed, not to mention it have to emulate the Windows API. All these things require CPU power and have little to do with the CPU power also required for the actual game.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 10:41 PM   #31
Doubledr

Unhappy Re: GeForce 7800 GS (AGP!!) = disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Like what Doubledr said, but also see my earlier explanation on why cedega is so CPU bound.
Today I did a few tests, it looks like u are corrent, but I am not sure yet.
Doubledr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 01:57 AM   #32
Rizado

Don't bother use Cedega and WoW. Wine runs it alot better than cedega. In fact almost all games I've tried that works on both wine and cedega works better in wine, Those that doesn't is barely playable in cedega anyway. In fact Cedega is a very old version of wine that is updated in some fields. A good place to look this out is the transgaming forums.

Wine and cedega does NOT emulate the CPU in any way. "Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X and Unix." Even though the extra layer of windows api is a performance hit it isn't that bad.
Rizado is offline   Reply With Quote