Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-06, 02:44 PM   #1
WolfThirteen

Default Best MMORPG/RPG For PvP?

Okay, before someone chimes in with "DAoC" hear me out.

The type of PvP I like can be summed up in one game: Diablo II. I'm an EX-Diablo II hardcore player who's looking for a MMORPG that has very similar gameplay mechanics as Diablo II. None of this capture the flag/base bull****, or instanced battleground rubbish, but REAL HARDCORE PVP.(this rules out WoW by default).

Are there any MMORPGs like this? Actually, are there ANY games like this? I played Diablo II for 5+ years and it's time to move on, but to what? I don't know.
WolfThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-06, 04:47 PM   #2
slick
Play with conviction.

Default Re: Best MMORPG/RPG For PvP?

No video game like that really exists anymore, at least not in MMO form. World PvP in WoW can get pretty intense if you look for it. Just like any other MMO there are always "spots" where you can always find a good fight. I wouldn't classify any server as "hardcore", but every server does have it's batch of constant world PvPers that make names for themselves and get reviled among the other factions population for raping them multiple times in popular PvE spots. Roll a rogue and enjoy if that's your thing.
Old 05-08-06, 08:58 PM   #3
a12ctic

WoWs pvp was enjoyable, i really liked DAOC's pvp as well...
Old 05-08-06, 09:10 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Best? Lineage 2 or DOAC

WoW is kiddy crap compared to them...
Old 05-09-06, 08:17 AM   #5
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Best? Lineage 2 or DOAC

WoW is kiddy crap compared to them...
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-06, 02:35 PM   #6
darkrider01
A little rough at first

Eve Online - the PvP there will make you crazy.
School Bus - Intel i7 4770K * ASRock Z87 Extreme6/AC * EVGA GTX 590 * Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz DDR3* Alienware TactX Keyboard * RAZER Mamba * Pioneer DVR-212D * Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD * 10+TB Other Storage * Ultra X3 1000W PSU * Dell U2913WM * Beats by Dr. Dre headphones * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Cooler Master HAF XB * Cooler Master Hyper N520 * Windows 7 Ultimate
Mass Transit - Xeon E3-1275 V2 * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 * EVGA GTX660 * Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD * Seagate Momentus XT 750GB * Dell 2001FP * Viewsonic VX2250 * Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate
RV - Alienware M18x * i7 2670QM * Dual 560 GTX * 1.25TB Storage * Windows 7 Ultimate
Van by the River - Panasonic PT-AX200U * Homebrew 9' x 5' screen * Pioneer VSX-1121-K * Bose Acoustimass 6 * Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer * PS3/Xbox/Xbox360/Wii/WiiU/DirecTV HR22
Packin HEAT
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-06, 05:08 PM   #7
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01
Eve Online - the PvP there will make you crazy.
Yes.. that game is crazy.. A lot slower paced overall though.

My coworker says Lineage 2 was also pure PvP too.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 08:22 AM   #8
James H

Send a message via Skype™ to James H

Ultima Online is the best mmorpg of all time IMO. By far the best pvp.

Old 05-16-06, 11:38 AM   #9
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

actually, to be honest I think EQ has the best PVP system when it comes to server wide PVP. Good luck getting back into the game and actually winning a battle though. EQ veterans that still play are likely to rip your a new one.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 04:29 PM   #10
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

eq? eq1? you mean the pvp servers? meh.. of ANY mmorpg, eq has some of the worst pvp because some classes simply cant pvp. In the end game, priest and enchanters are gank fodder (though it has gotten better. For instance the priest have that painfull damage shield proc now, but if you dont have it memmed, consider yourself pwned).

World of warcraft has GREAT pvp, if you could actually play in it. Thanks to the HUGE imbalance between horde and alliance, and only being able to pvp (aside from duels) the opposit faction, youd better hope you like playing horde, cause youd be sitting on your ass for many hours inbetween matches as alliance. But since each class was given alot of strengths allowing for things like high soloability, they can generaly all hold their own against eachother (though you do still have the age old problem of warriors with uber weapons tearing soft armor classes apart).

UO, even less PVP friendly than eq.

DAOC, sorry my info on this game outside of the first few months I playd and promptly quit it is slim. The realm vs realm premis seemed way cool but when I playd, several classes were incomplete let alone balanced.

From my experience, Guild Wars is probably bar none, the best group battle pvp experience (I think theres 1 on 1 arena matches somewhere, not sure. ^^), and while some arenas use flags, they are actually used to "buff" your side while you slaughter eachother. They arnt used as a point system. But guild wars was from the start, designed to be a pvp game (though, as a kind of new guildwars player, I am very surprised at how fleshed out the PvE compaign is. All the reviews made it sound like it was nothing but instances missions and PvP arenas, but there is a HUGE instanced world as well. Not as free roaming as wow or eq, more like Dungion siege 2, but its big).

All the classes are painstakenly balanced, with each one given an absolute buttload of spells that the classes dont share (there is a half dozen assortment of signents, spells all classes can get wich cover a minor heal and a resurection spell with a limited recharge ability) and only 8 of them to carry into a fight, with no switching them around in the middle of a match. That combined with each class mix having 7 ability trees to put abilitie points into (think WoW talents), increasing the strength of the spells under said tree, one monk/necro wont be the same as the next monk/necro you meet on the field. Abilities is very much like WoW's talents, but NCsoft (either for better or worse) is not restrictive with them and anytime you enter a city/outpost you can move around all your points, compleatly reconfiguring your characters strengths without penalty.

That said, since when is Diablo2 a pvp game? Sure I guess you can beat eachother up, but good god, low spell selection, a very small selection of talents (wich if i recall, you can never modify, so if you choose badly..your screwed for life) and what is it..6 classes with expansion? and no hybrid mix of abilities. Sorry..Diablo2 sucks worse then eq1 when it comes to pvp.
jeffmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 05:07 AM   #11
faraday

Having played most MMO's in the recent years, I would say Ultima Online was by far the best PvP experience I have ever had. Second would be Daoc.
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-06, 05:40 AM   #12
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
(though you do still have the age old problem of warriors with uber weapons tearing soft armor classes apart).
Heaven forbid a huge axe rips through cloth huh?