Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-18-06, 12:38 PM   #13
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Best MMORPG/RPG For PvP?

yea, but after said warrior is struck by lightning?
jeffmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-06, 05:14 AM   #14
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

One spell doesn't kill a warrior.

The "problem" of a caster getting killed by a warrior is hardly a problem. The idea is you try to use your skills to keep the warrior at a distance and wear him down. If you get into melee you are going to lose badly.
Old 05-20-06, 01:59 PM   #15
nrdstrm

Well, I havn't seen PVP in action. But Vanguard looks to be an awesome game. The developer (Brad) has stated that there will be at LEAST 1 PVP Server with a special PVP ruleset. So far it is said you will be able to attack anyone, anywhere, wich sounds kinda like what the OP wanted..
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 03:56 PM   #16
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
One spell doesn't kill a warrior.
I thought you were speaking in the "real world" sense. Cause in a magical world, just as a warrior lets his armor do the tanking and his skills do the damage, a caster would use his magic to become his armor. That said, only GWs actually has some builds for casters where they can reduce damage done to them on a grand scale. In games like EQ and WoW, defensive caster buffs give a few more hp, but dosnt impact their armor rating and reduce damage, and as you said weapons just rip right through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
The "problem" of a caster getting killed by a warrior is hardly a problem. The idea is you try to use your skills to keep the warrior at a distance and wear him down. If you get into melee you are going to lose badly.
Saddly both WoW and GW have the stupid logic that all melee should get a sprint type ability as well as "snares", both wich are generaly unremoveable by spells/damage because they are non-magic, and at the same time the caster dosnt have sprint (or its unusable after snare) and HIS method of snare is broken by some type of damage.
Old 05-23-06, 05:27 PM   #17
slick
Play with conviction.

Guild wars at least has it half correct. Healers are easily able to sustain themselves vs two, maybe even three targets. Boon-protters FTW! That's entirely becaue of their unique energy system, though. WoW unfortunately does not have the same fate. Healers can stay alive easy though a warrior for the duration of their mana, but mana isn't exactly an easily renewable resource in WoW.

The only class that mages should be able to pwnface 1vs1 all the time is, infact, warriors. Mages played right can beat other classes, but even a less-than-knowledgable mage player should be able to kill a warrior (and rogue, if done correctly). We do get owned by certain other things though, like warlocks, druids, and hunters. Oh, and shadow priests too, but those own EVERYTHING.
Old 05-23-06, 06:21 PM   #18
vampireuk
**** Holster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
I thought you were speaking in the "real world" sense. Cause in a magical world, just as a warrior lets his armor do the tanking and his skills do the damage, a caster would use his magic to become his armor. That said, only GWs actually has some builds for casters where they can reduce damage done to them on a grand scale. In games like EQ and WoW, defensive caster buffs give a few more hp, but dosnt impact their armor rating and reduce damage, and as you said weapons just rip right through them.

Saddly both WoW and GW have the stupid logic that all melee should get a sprint type ability as well as "snares", both wich are generaly unremoveable by spells/damage because they are non-magic, and at the same time the caster dosnt have sprint (or its unusable after snare) and HIS method of snare is broken by some type of damage.
Both intercept and charge can easily be countered, casters are a extremely difficult battle for warriors, a skilled caster can quite easily attempt to hold a warrior at bay.
Old 05-24-06, 03:00 PM   #19
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

vampire, no, intercept/charge + hamstring = screwed. A mage might beable to blink, but hes still snared. Priest and warlocks have zero available spells to combat warriors once charged. Priest can prolong the encounter with shield and heals, but he is doing no damage and will eventually run out of mana.
Old 05-24-06, 03:09 PM   #20
Tr1cK
not coming back

Mage has frost nova and other chill effects to stop/snare the warrior. Priests and Locks HAVE to rely on fear or seduction. Intercept has the same cooldown as blink also. With my warrior, I'll beat the brakes off any priest or lock that doesn't fear me, and even then warriors do get a couple fear breaks. It all depends on how well the class is played and also the gear you have. Warriors that don't stance dance are as good as dead.

Last edited by Tr1cK; 05-24-06 at 04:00 PM.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-06, 03:29 PM   #21
vampireuk
**** Holster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Mage has frost nova and other chill effects to stop/snare the warrior.
Exactly, for a warrior to beat a good mage the warrior has to have a lot of skill and some bloody good kit to take the caster down quickly.
Old 05-30-06, 04:55 AM   #22
Rakeesh

Best for PVP? Shadowbane IMO. It recently went free too.

Shadowbane is completely PVP. You don't do random quests like "collect 5 magic clovers and bring them to me" or "kill the uber bad guy" or "save the princess of sh*tdom" type bullsh*t. That stuff *kind of* exists in shadowbane but you can completely ignore it if you want to, and I do ignore it because I don't really care about that. Going around killing mobs is stupid, I like killing players better, and thats what shadowbane is all about.

How successful you are in the game depends entirely upon your guild; you alone can accomplish nothing. In fact, if you just run off on your own you'll likely get your ass kicked by anybody you run into. You have to build cities, conquer other ones, and take over mines that give your cities resources and gold. That said there are real-time strategy elements involved in it.

Currently my nation (called Even Better, allied with Entropy and Kingdom of Heaven nations) is owning the Wrath server We're so successful right now that we are kinda seen as the bad guys on the server, and almost all of the other guilds and nations (even the ones that don't really like each other) are kinda ganging up on us right now, but we are still kicking their asses anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
Well, I havn't seen PVP in action. But Vanguard looks to be an awesome game. The developer (Brad) has stated that there will be at LEAST 1 PVP Server with a special PVP ruleset. So far it is said you will be able to attack anyone, anywhere, wich sounds kinda like what the OP wanted..
That is pretty much what shadowbane is. There are only like 5 really small peace zones on the server I play on, and I don't imagine the others are much different. Almost the entire server consists of PVP areas.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Last edited by Rakeesh; 05-30-06 at 05:07 AM.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 05:04 AM   #23
|MaguS|

Shadowbane is one of the worse MMOs ever created... and it will be dead soon. The developers have closed shop, I dout Ubisoft will keep it afloat for too much longer.
Old 05-30-06, 05:09 AM   #24
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Shadowbane is one of the worse MMOs ever created... and it will be dead soon. The developers have closed shop, I dout Ubisoft will keep it afloat for too much longer.
It's going to go on for a while. The developers have recently undergone a new management is all. They have actually hinted on another expansion.

You probably don't like shadowbane because of how dedicated to PVP it is. Pretty much everybody who plays it and doesn't like it is because they are after that lore bullsh*t where all you do is roleplay with a bunch of people you don't even know, and everybody and their mom is a f*cking carebear. There are no carebears in shadowbane.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote