Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-06, 11:24 PM   #1
paulcheck

Default 8756, Dual Screen: Periodic system crash on log-out

Hi: My system has periodic crashes when I log out if I'm running TV-0 and DFP-0. The box is SMP, fully updated Debian unstable, kernel 2.6.14 (problem??), with a GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, 8756 driver installed with Debian source packages (problem also with NVidia installer), and a dual screen (DFP-0,TV-0) setup.

I had dual screens working in the past with all versions of the driver from 44xx (??) to 81xx. Upgrading to 8756, I understand from reading the forums, the config file has to change and I believe I have done that correctly. I have attached my config file and I wonder if anyone can provide any guidance. The crashes have occured with both gdm and kdm running, and they provide absolutely no information in log files. The problem is: log out, gdm/kdm tries to reload, total system freeze requiring hard re-boot.

I have no problems running with just one screen. The TV is connected directly to the computer via S-Video, but it is not always on.

Thanks for any assistance. I really appreciate the forums.

--Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip xorg.conf.zip (1.5 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by paulcheck; 05-13-06 at 08:25 PM.
paulcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-06, 11:33 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 8756, Dual Screen: Periodic system crash on log-out

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log after the next crash.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 12:35 PM   #3
paulcheck

I'd prefer to get some feedback before purposefully putting my system through another hard re-boot (for that reason, I'm running just with DFP-0 now...).

Most importantly, is my xorg.config file correct for what I'm trying to do?
Has anyone experienced a similar thing?
Is there any reason to believe that dual screens shouldn't work with 2.6.14 + 8756 + GeForce FX 5900 Ultra + SMP + GDM/KDM + anything else?

[Added on 2nd read]

As an addendum, this is a Debian system and I *do* have the nvidia-glx package installed, although I did install it after the driver was built and installed, as per instructions I've read. However, I see another post here talking about not having the nvidia-glx package installed. What's the right advice there? Should you install nvidia-glx or not? if yes, then it should come after the nvidia module is built, right?

Thanks, Paul

Last edited by paulcheck; 05-09-06 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 12:59 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The OS should never crash regardless of what is in your X configuration. I'll need to see a bug report from the system in order to comment further.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 05-09-06, 08:28 PM   #5
paulcheck

Ok, here is the full xorg.conf and bug report. I believe that some of the warnings in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log section are from old failures, as the last X log didn't have any WW's or EE's. Let me know what you see...

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention: I also have the FB_VGA16 kernel module selected, as a module. I see that it does get loaded, so I wonder if that is causing problems.

Just trying to list any possibilities to save you some time. I really appreciate any feedback. It's great that your company actually supports people who buy their products (and, at the same time, sad for other companies that I even think that it's great).

Regards, Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip xorg.conf.zip (1.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (28.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-09-06, 08:56 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Its possible that the framebuffer console graphics is causing this problem. I'd suggest disabling it, and seeing if that makes any difference.

I see that you're using the ConnectedMonitor option. Can you clarify why?

Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 05-09-06, 11:23 PM   #7
paulcheck

I removed the vga16fb and related modules from the kernel and was able to logout of X/GDM without a crash. I tried logging in and out several times (leaving a good 30 seconds or so between loggin in and out) and everntually the system did crash, although I didn't check to see if the module had been re-inserted before the crash. So, I will try a kernel recompile and see if that helps.

As for ConnectedMonitor, I was under the impression that this is what one uses to force certain outputs to be enabled. since the TV isn't always on (although it is continuously connected), I thought it was a good idea to do this. But, I'm knew to these config options. Which brings me back to my original question: Can you provide some advice on the xorg config file? If I'm using "UseDisplayDevice" do I not need to use "ConnectedMonitor"?

As for the motherboard bios, I haven't updated it since installation, which was 1 1/2 years ago, so it is likely that it has changed. On the other hand, I'm only seeing this problem with 8756...I really would prefer to eliminate every other possible cause of a problem before flashing the bios.

Thanks for the suggesitons...will see how the kernel recompile does as step one.

--Paul
Old 05-09-06, 11:25 PM   #8
paulcheck

Oh...you mean remove the framebuffer_console option, but not the fb_vga16 option? Or both?

Old 05-10-06, 12:41 AM   #9
paulcheck

Ok, to answer your questions with more detail and update info:

I tried removing the kernel options for fb_vga16 and framebuffer_console and I am still getting the crash. FYI, I also get crashes when I try to vt switch, but presumably this is very similar to logign out of X.

As for the ConnectedMonitor, I added it since the TV is not always on and I thought it might not be able to detect it. I can't imagine this could be the reason for the crashes, as it looks like I'm using this correctly (also using UseDisplayDevice, but those two are no mutually exclusive options, right?).

Finally, there is a bios update for my motherboard available, but I am just one revision away from the latest one. Also, they warn that a bios upgrade should not done unless it is absolutely known that it is a bios problem. I have upgraded in the past, so I'm not totally averse to doing it again, but I'd like to plough through any other options first.

I'm still stuck. Weird that it only happens with TV-out (or at least dual screens).

Thanks, Paul
Old 05-10-06, 11:25 AM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're only using a single display device (TV?), then your ConnectedMonitor parameters should only specify a single display device, rather than two.

Using ConnectedMonitor for a display device that isn't always powered on and/or connected when starting X is fine. Using it for other purposes can result in unexpected behavior.

UseDisplayDevice can be used instead of ConnectedMonitor if you only wish to use a single display device in your X configuration, yet more than one is connected. UseDisplayDevice can be used with ConnectedMonitor.

I meant to remove all framebuffer console graphics.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 05-10-06, 03:53 PM   #11
paulcheck

Ok, I understand the difference between those options, but I'm still not sure if I"m using them correctly. Did you look at my xorg.conf? Do I have the correct setup for dual screen? I take it the answer is yes since it actually does work! But, I'm just making 100% sure.

Is there anything else I can try, other than bios upgrade? Do you have any idea that a bios upgrade should solve the problem?

Now, assuming I/we can't fix the problem, how do I roll back to 8176 (or whatever the number is)? Does the Debian nvidia-glx package in the unsdtable dist work with that driver? I notice that the glx package has the 8756 number associated to it, so I'm thinking that they aren't compatible.

Finally, has anyone else experienced a similar fate? Dual screen / tv-out works but system crashes on X log-out or vt switch??

--Paul
Old 05-11-06, 06:19 PM   #12
paulcheck

Anything to offer here? --Paul