Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-03, 08:54 AM   #1
digitalwanderer

Default Dumb irrelevant site question, but...

...how much of a growth spurt did you get since the FX launch? Was there a rush of new members? (I know your member count is off since losing the database, I just meant relative to the "new" count.)

I was just curious, this sort of thing interests me. I'm a bit into the techno-sociology lately. (Mebbe I'll open up a whole new branch of research someday... )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 10:45 AM   #2
AshG
RootzWiki Minion

Send a message via ICQ to AshG Send a message via AIM to AshG Send a message via MSN to AshG Send a message via Yahoo to AshG

Yup, it's a trend. You're noticing right.

It's a phenomenon noticed by graphics card specific sites moreso than by others, because of the fanboy-ism that tends to be more prevalent.

Usually, it comes in three waves. Before the official announcement, there's generally a small contingency that joins and tries to conjecture what's going on. That group is usually a mix of both supporters and detractors, but they tend to be the more professional or reserved ones.

The second wave that comes along is the die-hard supporters. They create an account here, intent to post about everything and carry the cross, then they post once or twice and never come back. That is, until the next product launch when they forget they had a screen name already...

The third wave follows the second wave very closely. It's usually the people from 'the other side", ready to tell everyone how flangey their technology is and insult, berate, and annoy themselves into being noticed for a while. Those that don't end up banned (or worse - gotta love irate vigilante non-staff members!) for going overboard actually do remember their logins and wait around for the next time.

It's unique and rather interesting. I love studying this stuff.
Old 01-31-03, 10:52 AM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

How about those irate, vigilante former staff members who have also switched to said other side?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 11:24 AM   #4
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
How about those irate, vigilante former staff members who have also switched to said other side?
Hey, I resemble that remark!

When does the "newbie influx" hit for you guys here? I've noticed it lags about 2-4 weeks behind the card's release 'tween the newbies joining to get some problems fixed and when they decide to go bonkers in the OT lounge discovering the joys of spam....
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 01-31-03, 11:38 AM   #5
MikeC
Administrator

New Users:

January 31 - 6
January 30 - 22
January 29 - 35
January 28 - 45
January 27 - 47
January 26 - 18
January 25 - 18
January 24 - 20
January 23 - 16
January 22 - 23
January 21 - 20
January 20 - 12

Number of Posts:

January 31 - 161
January 30 - 471
January 29 - 646
January 28 - 778
January 27 - 974
January 26 - 475
January 25 - 282
January 24 - 300
January 23 - 308
January 22 - 303
January 21 - 306
January 20 - 231
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-03, 11:42 AM   #6
The Baron

I'd wager that there will be a pretty big wave of new users shortly after the FX's launch--both people with problems and people to see if it's any good.

I think it's been slower up until the GFFX announcement because there just wasn't much to talk about...
Old 01-31-03, 12:26 PM   #7
digitalwanderer

Nice numbers, thank you very much for posting 'em.

Yeah, I agree that this place is gonna lively up in a hurry soon. It's only been dead since nVidia has been so freaking silent.

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
New Users:

January 31 - 6
January 30 - 22
January 29 - 35
January 28 - 45
January 27 - 47
January 26 - 18
January 25 - 18
January 24 - 20
January 23 - 16
January 22 - 23
January 21 - 20
January 20 - 12

Number of Posts:

January 31 - 161
January 30 - 471
January 29 - 646
January 28 - 778
January 27 - 974
January 26 - 475
January 25 - 282
January 24 - 300
January 23 - 308
January 22 - 303
January 21 - 306
January 20 - 231
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]