Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-06, 02:51 AM   #133
Superfly
Retired

Default Re: SiN Episodes Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
So basically this was a mod since when you aquire the engine code in a lincense agreement you have the ability to add features as they see fit... the way you describe it is as if they were developing the game with the Source Public SDK.
We know you think its a mod, as for license or engine build we dont have a clue.

I fail to see the problem with added content to future and existing episodes, hell CSS keeps getting HDR updates so why not SiN episodes?? - or is it only cool if Valve do it.

you dont like SiN - fair enough, let it go.
Old 05-23-06, 03:03 AM   #134
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly
I fail to see the problem with added content to future and existing episodes, hell CSS keeps getting HDR updates so why not SiN episodes?? - or is it only cool if Valve do it.
Because every update and feature added to CS:S is FREE while it sounds like only future SIN Episodes will have new features such as HDR and whatever next gets added to the Source Engine...

If they announce they they plan to implement HDR in Emergence then I would feel better but as of right now its not worth the $20 IMO.
Old 05-23-06, 04:20 AM   #135
K007

So..the final cost of this game is going to end arround US$150~..and they plan to release episodes over a period of year+..sounds like lame tactics like a MMO normally does
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 08:19 AM   #136
SavagePaladin
info*****

No, they plan to release eps every six to eight months. And in the end it will be significantly more content than a single game would be...more like three games. Who here never bought a sequel?

Emergence is getting a major Source engine upgrade right now. I don't know if they'll improve graphics features right away though. It's also getting at least one free gameplay addition (Arena Mode.)

I'm guessing they definately plan to have this games content upgrade as time goes by, I'll ask about the HDR thing though.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 08:43 AM   #137
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
HDR support is coming as part of the merge, so Episode 2 will have HDR. While we definitely want to revisit Episode 1 and implement HDR, we would need to not only relight the maps, but find a way to get the maps down to the end users without killing dial-up users with a 250Mb download...not an easy trick.
So there you go.
Old 05-23-06, 10:24 AM   #138
agentkay

Already excuses. Dial-up users. Hopefully the fanbase will demand the HDR upgrade for Episode 1. If they want to add tech only to current episodes they are working on and forget about the old ones, then Ill rather wait the 2 or 3 years and get the final game on disc.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 10:27 AM   #139
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
Already excuses. Dial-up users. Hopefully the fanbase will demand the HDR upgrade for EP1.
It's not an excuse, it's a reality. About half of the US uses dialup.

I did mention to him though that I'm on dialup, and I downloaded SiN 1 and HL2 ep1 over it...so it probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Either way, though, you'll probably have to wait a while for it.
Old 05-23-06, 10:37 AM   #140
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePaladin
It's not an excuse, it's a reality. About half of the US uses dialup.

I did mention to him though that I'm on dialup, and I downloaded SiN 1 and HL2 ep1 over it...so it probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Either way, though, you'll probably have to wait a while for it.
Well I can understand that. I live in a smaller country and the density for fast internet access (DSL, Cable etc.) is far from 99%, so Id say the USA is worse in this aspect since its a much larger country.

Reality is also that devs dont like to work on stuff that has been already released once it reaches a certain level of stability. They rather move the majority of their devpower to EP2 instead of fixing every tiny thing wrong with EP1.

Thanks for the info though!

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-06, 10:45 AM   #141
SavagePaladin
info*****

True enough, they won't work on it forever, but the episodes do share content so probably the same engine as well. So probably much of the upgrades they'll do over the years WILL apply to the ep1 content.

I mean, I don't know really. But I don't expect em to be done with it for a couple months at least.
Old 05-23-06, 10:54 AM   #142
|MaguS|

It's a BS excuse to use Dial-Up as the reason they can't implement HDr, They could EASILY make it an optional download for users that want it. Heck plenty of CS maps were remade after they originally released to include HDR...

I wont be buying Episode 2 untill I hear users reviews (from other then Superfly), I feel I got ripped off with this purchase... Free mods for HL2 offer more then it did.
Old 05-23-06, 11:06 AM   #143
SavagePaladin
info*****

It's BS why? Because you don't have dialup? And what about those that are?

I think they'll do it, but I don't know when.
Old 05-23-06, 11:46 AM   #144
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePaladin
It's BS why? Because you don't have dialup? And what about those that are?

I think they'll do it, but I don't know when.
Again... theres the optional method. Make it available and if the dialup users wish to have the updated graphics then they have the choice to download it. How do you think valve updates their product line.. you think they don't add new content because of dialup users...

The platform is was put on was Steam, an Online distrobution platform... they would most likly have to be logged on to play anyway (yes there is an offline mode but many dont even know it exists).