Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-27-06, 04:52 AM   #157
Superfly
Retired

Default Re: SiN Episodes Feedback Thread

Arena Mode was released along with patch 1.2 yesterday!!!

Here are the notes:

SiN Episodes: Emergence
Added Arena Mode

Added 4 Arena Mode Maps (Highrise Lobby, The Office, Turbine, U4 Processing Station)

Exposed some additional statistics from the Personal Challenge System

Updated manual with additional troubleshooting information, Arena Mode documentation

Minor asset rearrangement required for upcoming SDK release

Fixed issue where "Pipes & Crates, Inc." phone message would not play

Fixed visual issue with Elexis hologram on some DirectX 7 cards

Fixed issue where security bots could not be damaged from certain locations in Highrise

Fixed some closed captions

Fixed minor issues with U4 Lab 02

Miscellaneous bug fixes
Old 06-27-06, 04:57 AM   #158
|MaguS|

Man, I still gotta finish this game...
Old 06-27-06, 05:28 AM   #159
K007

Whats Arena? Is that like the multiplayer? Ithought this game dosent have online multiplayer..just..bot fighting..which..isen't that fun.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 05:31 AM   #160
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007
Whats Arena? Is that like the multiplayer? Ithought this game dosent have online multiplayer..just..bot fighting..which..isen't that fun.
Arena mode is the challenge system that pits you against the SP games AI in Arena style maps, MP IS comming and will be updated and added to just like arena mode as each new episode comes out.
Old 06-27-06, 06:25 AM   #161
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly
Arena Mode was released along with patch 1.2 yesterday!!!
It's actually 1.3, cause they like confusing people.
Pretty cool.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 02:58 PM   #162
CampFreddy

Just bought this and I'm in two minds about it.

For the money, it's not bad. I paid just less than 13 and if I get 6 hours entertainment out of it, then I consider that decent value for money. I've not seen any technical issues and my machine is a few years old now, though I gather most of the bugs might have been ironed out before I even downloaded it from Steam.

Gameplay-wise, perhaps I was expecting too much of it (but shouldn't I?) and it was nothing more than a bog-standard shooter and average level design, decent weapons, decent voice acting, average bad guys and very few innovative gameplay features.

Getting onto the episodic nature of it takes me onto another thing entirely. I'm not a patient man. For me, the story is as important as the engine and gameplay in keeping me interested. I have real doubts that I'll be tuning in for many more future episodes if this story isn't going to be wrapped up for FOUR years. 13 is not a lot of money and I might get Sin: Ep 2 just to see how this episodic gaming malarkey is going to work.

I like Half-Life 2, though I thought it was a bit light on story. I liked Episode 1, but again, it was light on story and asked more questions than it answered, however, it was well put together and for the limited amount of gameplay there, Valve did cram a lot in. I don't like that I'm going to have to wait until the end of the year to continue that game, though.

When someone first told me of the episodic nature of Sin and HL2, my first thought (perhaps naively) was that episodes would be released perhaps every three to four months. In the case of HL2, certainly that should be possible as the developers know the engine inside out and it should just be a case of putting together the game. If the Ritual developers get some expertise in the Source engine, then surely they could do the same, unless they're spending lots of time developing custom features for the engine.

That's where the episodic nature falls down. I'm still trying hard to be convinced by HL2 and I've got a damned sight more brand loyalty to that than to a game I played, what, seven years ago? If Sin's going to hook me, it has to do a lot better and it has to start delivering in terms of storyline, too, otherwise I will lose interest.
CampFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 03:14 PM   #163
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFreddy
If Sin's going to hook me, it has to do a lot better and it has to start delivering in terms of storyline, too, otherwise I will lose interest.
I'm fairly sure they plan to bring more of it into play on ep2. They actually cut a scene that would've told you more about Jessicas backstory, for example, because of the timing of it. Ep2 will also have more of Blade talking (the lack apparently disappointed a lot of people) and stuff like that.

I thought it was really entertaining, I've already been through it twice. But it was definately lacking too.

HL2 ep1 though...I couldn't finish it the second time. Lost interest completely. Since I'm still playing Emergence here and there, that says something.
Old 08-03-06, 03:28 PM   #164
CampFreddy

Perhaps Ritual should have cut their teeth by re-doing SiN for Source and selling it for 5 and then doing the episodes - they get to learn Source AND re-acquaint everyone with the game at the same time. I know I have SiN sitting on my HD ready to play, but I can't bring myself to play a game using 8 year old tech on a 2 year old machine.

I'm just at the bit after killing the first huge monster thing, if that gives you guys any indication how far I am within the game.

(My problem with HL2:E1 was that it started off using the weakest part of HL2 i.e. in the citadel with only the modified gravity gun and going back to replay it now means I have to get past that to get to the fun part), otherwise I'd probably replay it a bit more. I'm not sure how much replayability there is in SiN:E apart from mucking about with the auto-difficulty sliders (until MP is released, that is).

Old 08-03-06, 04:40 PM   #165
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampFreddy
Perhaps Ritual should have cut their teeth by re-doing SiN for Source and selling it for 5 and then doing the episodes - they get to learn Source AND re-acquaint everyone with the game at the same time. I know I have SiN sitting on my HD ready to play, but I can't bring myself to play a game using 8 year old tech on a 2 year old machine.
That wouldn't make any sense at all. They self funded this project, and if they had done that, they would barely have gotten any return on the investment. How many people would actually be interested in buying that? I know I wouldn't.

SiNs combat is just more fun to me That's all the reason I really need to replay it (and Arena Mode.)
Old 08-04-06, 02:20 PM   #166
CampFreddy

Maybe it's unfeasible from a financial point of view, but it might have been, had the price point been right. I remember SiN being a decent enough game, so why not re-do it if possible? From what I've seen, SiN:E is a bit rough around the edges (I keep getting stuck in the maps, which I regard as a mapping issue not a tech issue), so extra development time might well have helped in getting used to the engine. Meh. I just get the impression it was rushed out the door slightly.
Old 08-04-06, 03:31 PM   #167
SavagePaladin
info*****

Would the developers want to make a remake? Would anybody have wanted to buy it? I never had the original, so the meaning would be completely lost on me. Remakes only really appeal to the hardcore fans of the original. Limiting their market for a self funded game would not be too wise if they intended to get that money back.

Plus, the original is like 8 years old. They'd have to remake *everything* about it (except the general storyline I'm sure) if they wanted anyone to care enough to buy it.

Which means, basically, they'd be spending more effort for less reward.
Old 08-05-06, 09:28 AM   #168
CampFreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavagePaladin
Would the developers want to make a remake? Would anybody have wanted to buy it? I never had the original, so the meaning would be completely lost on me. Remakes only really appeal to the hardcore fans of the original. Limiting their market for a self funded game would not be too wise if they intended to get that money back.

Plus, the original is like 8 years old. They'd have to remake *everything* about it (except the general storyline I'm sure) if they wanted anyone to care enough to buy it.
Well, we'll never know the answers to the questions, but you have to admit that rebuilding levels from the original is as good a way to learn Source as trying to build levels from scratch, perhaps even better seeing as Sin:E seems to have similar features (as I recall... I've not played the original in 8 years). Once your developers/level builders can build old Sin stuff in Source at a competent level, then you can start pushing the engine and adding custom features.

Whether that would then yield anything that could be sold or presented for public consumption is yet another question, but again, you never know. I would say that it would be unlikely, but I wouldn't say 'definitely' or think it was impossible.