Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-13-06, 04:02 AM   #61
Superfly
Retired

Default Re: SiN Episodes Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Wow, after seeing the intro, I think I need to go back and finish the original.

BTW, I'm using AFR but the taskbar is corrupted after exiting the game.

What happens for you if you use the original NV mode??

I think the profile itself might be bugged, thus I might need to log a report.
Old 05-13-06, 07:51 AM   #62
john19055

It was alright but it was short ,when is another Episode going to be out,it should'nt take very long .
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 09:41 AM   #63
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

I'm also through Sin Emergence now and as expected it's nothing spectacular. An average FPS without any innovations and offering standard gameplay like we have been seeing now for 5 years.

Graphics are sometimes good and sometimes just standard HL2 quality which maybe was nice 2 years ago but now is severly lacking. Sound also not worth talking about, it just gets it's job done, nothing more.

Till now I haven't even really noticed any real Sin feeling like you got in the original game in the underwater station, the lost valley leading up to Alexis mansion and of Alexis mansion itself while listening the nice original Sin soundtrack. Those were great moments which are completely missing here, including the moody soundtrack from Sin 1.

However the worst part of this episode is of course the length of the game, it's not as expected 1/3 or 1/4 of the length of a full game like HL2 but unfortunately only 1/5 which is way too short for 20$.

I won't be buying any further Sin episodes and my interest in the HL2 episodes now also has vanished eventhough Emergence was fun from time to time, it just ain't worth it.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 10:00 AM   #64
OWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly
What happens for you if you use the original NV mode??

I think the profile itself might be bugged, thus I might need to log a report.
Actually, the original mode ended up being AFR. I forgot to change things initially and got the screen corruption so I went in to remove the predefined tag and noticed it was set to AFR. I went ahead and removed the tag and set it to AFR manually but had the same result. I'll go ahead and try AFR2 and SFR also just to see how that goes. I'm currently using the 84.56s.

Edit: I take that back. It seems to default to SFR like you said. I think the issue I'm having is that changing the mode isn't doing anything. Even setting it to single-gpu mode, I still get SFR.

Edit 2: You were right again. In AFR or AFR2, the game exits properly. I had to set the SLI mode using the global setting to get it to switch though so I think you're right. The profile seems messed up. Also, performance seems a tad lower using the AFR modes.

Edit 3: Things work fine with the 87.08s even using SFR. That is, the game exits properly. Hmm, I can see why they went with SFR though. I still had to override the SLI setting by using the global SLI option but using AFR or AFR2 causes corruption and things to flicker in the 87.08s. SFR works fine though.

Last edited by OWA; 05-13-06 at 10:54 AM.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 10:32 AM   #65
Hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrow
I'm also through Sin Emergence now and as expected it's nothing spectacular. An average FPS without any innovations and offering standard gameplay like we have been seeing now for 5 years.

Graphics are sometimes good and sometimes just standard HL2 quality which maybe was nice 2 years ago but now is severly lacking. Sound also not worth talking about, it just gets it's job done, nothing more.

Till now I haven't even really noticed any real Sin feeling like you got in the original game in the underwater station, the lost valley leading up to Alexis mansion and of Alexis mansion itself while listening the nice original Sin soundtrack. Those were great moments which are completely missing here, including the moody soundtrack from Sin 1.

However the worst part of this episode is of course the length of the game, it's not as expected 1/3 or 1/4 of the length of a full game like HL2 but unfortunately only 1/5 which is way too short for 20$.

I won't be buying any further Sin episodes and my interest in the HL2 episodes now also has vanished eventhough Emergence was fun from time to time, it just ain't worth it.
I played some of it at a friend's house and I tottaly agree. Feels lika a HL2 mod with the same boring gameplay, old flat graphics and no dynamic lighting. Glad I didn't buy this.
Old 05-13-06, 12:37 PM   #66
Silver Shamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Yea I am enjoying it

I absolutely love it when you shoot those dudes with the jetpacks, its freaking hilarious.
Heheh yeah great stuff!!

I'm really enjoying the game also.

EDIT : Found a cool secret http://www.planetpc.plus.com/fish.jpg
XFX 6800GT PCI-E @400/1100
Maxtor 120Gb SATA
Antec TruePower 550W

Last edited by Silver Shamrock; 05-13-06 at 01:41 PM.
Silver Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 01:59 PM   #67
Superfly
Retired

this game is gonna be one of those love it/hate it games.

Have'nt seen a single 50/50 post yet.....

@ OWA, I'l lget a report logged on the profile issue, thanks for the testing.
Old 05-13-06, 02:03 PM   #68
Superfly
Retired

This on the official forums:

Quote:
We're starting to attack the personal challenge system now, so a thanks to:

Clayton M.
Owen B.
Kris
Catsimboy
Hans K.
Mitch B.
Rick J.
Harith A.
Daniel K.
James W.
Aug G.
Ross K.
Andy B.
Jon K.
Ari E.
Andrew D.
Andrew T.

...as well as everyone else who has sent in issues.

--------------------
Michael Russell, QA Manager, Ritual Entertainment
I wish every game had such good support.

also some patch info here:

Quote:
During this weekend, we're going to be hard at work on the patch.

While we are working on the patch, we may post questions regarding certain classifications of bugs that people have been experiencing.

Thank you to everyone who has been posting their issues, and to everyone who has sent in save games or crash dumps.

Update: Looks like we're going to be in the Wednesday afternoon Steam patch window at the moment. More details as I get them.

--------------------
Michael Russell, QA Manager, Ritual Entertainment

Old 05-13-06, 03:53 PM   #69
Superfly
Retired

Bug report has gone in on the SLI profile problem - if SFR is faster then I wanna use that but without the desktop corruption!!!

Also just finisshed the episode, awesome gameplay - I loved it plain and simple.

just makes me wanna load it up and shoot some more bad dudes.
Old 05-13-06, 04:38 PM   #70
Brimstone7

I'll tell you what though. These guys really seem to be looking out for their fans, unlike a certain software development company *glares at Bethesda.*
Brimstone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 06:19 PM   #71
Superfly
Retired

Small update, AFR2 is actually a **** load faster than AFR (sorry for not researching that a bit better beforehand, I got consumed by the game).

AFR2 also does'nt have any desktop corruption when exiting the game.

the following command is also worth adding to an autoexec.cfg file:

r_fastzreject 1
Old 05-14-06, 01:58 AM   #72
Superfly
Retired

couple of useful tweaks to add to your launch properties in steam:

-novid -heapsize 1024000

the above will skip the logo movies at launch and allocate a 500mb heap instead of the default 64mb.