Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-06, 08:48 AM   #73
OWA

Default Re: SiN Episodes Feedback Thread

I think the profile issue might be this: the profile they install is looking for sin.exe but the exe in my sin directory is called sinepisodes.exe. So, I guess that is why none of my changes were taking effect.

Edit: Okay, maybe it was my fault, I'm not sure. Their predefined profile was using sin.exe so either that is for the sin1 version or it was supposed to be sinepisodes.exe. Anyway, now that I've got the profile setup correctly, I'm using AFR2 and surprisingly, I'm not getting any corruption this time either (I removed the drivers and installed the 87.08s again so maybe that helped).

Last edited by OWA; 05-14-06 at 09:02 AM.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 11:20 AM   #74
Superfly
Retired

Someone found a cool mini game type: map se1_u4lab05 in the console

ROFL.
Old 05-14-06, 01:00 PM   #75
Brimstone7

Note sure if this has been brought up but the Dopefish can be found swimming in one part of the sewers.
Brimstone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 01:01 PM   #76
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone7
Note sure if this has been brought up but the Dopefish can be found swimming in one part of the sewers.
yeh man I saw that - seeing that again was so cool.
Old 05-14-06, 06:45 PM   #77
Skinner

I find it a very averidge en quite boring game. Where are the innovations, puzzels, difference in enemie's, vehicles, situations. It's just like Fear and Doom3, go to the next room, shoot your way through the same enemies again, after that, repeat it 20 times and you are there. It's way to repeative and never shines above the mass. And the soundtrack was so promising.....
*Intel i7@3,8gHz*Asus P6T Deluxe* 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire *6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8*OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD*adaptec 19160U160*Intel X25 80 GB Quantum Atlas 15KII SCSI U160 147Gig* WD Raptor 300 GB*Apple 24" LED Cinema *X-Fi Titanium*Logitech Z5500*Coolmaster RP 1000W*W7 64 Home *

Last edited by Skinner; 05-14-06 at 07:00 PM.
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 07:35 AM   #78
Superfly
Retired

anyone know what the -preload switch does in source??

is it the same as the cl_forcepreload 1 option??

thanks.
Old 05-15-06, 01:40 PM   #79
Superfly
Retired

for those that hav'nt seen this in action yet here is a short clip made by some dude on the ritual forums - this is from the construction yard sequence in the game and just before the second car sequence.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...85583192241900

crap quality vid - sorry about that.
Old 05-15-06, 03:53 PM   #80
Hoopla

Finished it. Kind of like an average expansion pack. You spend 4 hours fighting the same 3 enemies with the same 3 weapons. Not worth $20.

Oh, and since the story is non-existant I am not planning on getting the next episode.

Old 05-15-06, 05:38 PM   #81
Brimstone7

Yeah I feel they really dropped the ball with the storyline as well. Besides a somewhat interesting opening and a somewhat chiched ending, there really wasn't any story. In fact, I was kind of lost the whole way through. What's U4? What's going on with the mutants? I played the original but that was a long time ago and I've forgotten everything.

TV shows that have a great story (like Lost) really make you look forward to upcoming episodes with the short previews you get. The preview for episode 2 was nothing short of "bleh."

I, for one, am done ragging on this game. Some people like it, but not me. Guess I'll just leave it at that.
Brimstone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 10:25 PM   #82
myshkinbob

I just finished the episode, it was ok-ish. I vaguely remember playing the original SiN years ago, but essentially it was a new game to me.

The level design was alright, it's very old-fashioned though, lot's of doubling back on areas at a different height level. Think Quake 2 era games, where you see walkways above you all the time, knowing in 10 minutes you'll be walking over them yourself once you hit the stairs. It wasn't boring, with some good combat areas, but really predictable.

I didn't especially like the art style, it was very flat and lacking depth, i'm sure there's more shader usage even in cs:s maps. But the single textures on everything look pretty good, perhaps not super hi-res, but well done.

The thing i most liked was the humour, where else in a game do you hear tannoy announcement about TPS report cover sheets, or see building materials of the "Schitt Brick Industries" brand, or so many amusing safety notices.

I just wish they'd put as much effort into the shader usage and gameplay depth as they have the humorous touches. Aside from the clearly bolted-on slomo effects, and the elements borrowed directly from HL2, you could mistake this game for one from the end of the last century. I think a lot of people are dissapointed with this game because it aims for visual and gameplay standards that're simply outdated, sub-par these days.

I know the game is based on the SiN franchise, but it tries far too hard to emulate the originals instead of building upon them and taking the franchise into the modern era. ID did a great job with quake4, reminiscent of good old q2, but with enough gameplay and graphical features for it to feel like a recent game. Some people are saying this plays like a HL2 mod, and it does, it's basically one idea that's typical of the mod scene - "make a SiN game, but using the HL2 engine" and that's all.

Don't get me wrong, the game was fun, but fun in the same way it's fun to install that great game you played 3, 4, or even 5 years ago. You'll have a blast for the afternoon, but by the end you've had enough of it and have to admire how the genre has moved forward since.

In fact the only real fun-killer was the funky AI system, which made the game ridiculously hard for me. I've beaten far cry on realistic without cheating, and this was even harder, and i could quicksave in this! here's the stats:

skill - 76%
challenge - 53%
Enemies killed - 611
headshots - 398
super-deadly chaingun baddies killed: 119

I swear to god, so difficult, it was sending packs of 5-6 of those things at me toward the end! One of them can kill you from full health in about 2 seconds once their gun spins up, so that many at once made my life very difficult. I died about 15 times in the first 75% of the game, and over one hundred times more by the end. I believe it was due to an 80% rating of the "AI-Type" in my challenge stats, causing it to spam me with chaingunners, but it's still a horrid system. A good player who kills the enemies quickly is rewarded with frustratingly near-impossible waves of enemies, instead of smarter ones (the AI-intel stat was only 27% by the end).

It's perhaps midly ironic that the only innovative part of the whole game, the ai system, turned out to be it's biggest downfall. At least in my game.

(If anyone else finds they're meeting an awful lot of chaingunners, a few tips 1. save your grenades for bunches of them, they burn easily. 2. look for explodables nearby and try to lure them toward them 3. don't waste grenades/GL rounds on single chaingunners, find a thick wall and strafe with rifle/shotgun headshots depending on range 4. if jessica is with you, use her as chaingunner bait so you can get a few free shots on them while distracted. 5. never expose yourself to their line of sight for more than 2 seconds or you'll lose all/most of your health VERY quickly 6. let their chaingun spin down completely before you expose again, or they'll take much less than 2 seconds to start firing again)

In short, it's a fun game but in a very anachronistic way. It's not worth US$20 though, you'll most probably feel ripped off.
Core2Duo E6400 (3.0GHz@1.3v) | Gigabyte 965P-DS3 | 2x 1024MB Elixir PC6400 (Dual-Channel DDR2@1.8v) | 3x Spinpoint SATA 80GB | Gainward GeForce 8800GTS (@600/1900) | Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 93SB 19" (1600x1200@75Hz)
myshkinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-06, 11:52 PM   #83
LurkerLito

I just finished the first episode of Sin and agree with myshkinbob's review. I guess I was also "glitched" with a real hard game at the end. At first I was kind of liking the difficulty it was fun, but as soon as the chaingunners arrived it started to get really bad because they were so armored, accurate and they just kept comming out. The end was probably the hardest FPS game I have ever played.

My stats were:
Challenge - 57.48%
Skill - 70%

Enemy kills: 569
But the number of chaingunners: 127

So 23% of the enemies thrown at me were chaingunners but the funny thing is a majority of them came out at the end where it felt no matter how many you killed another 3 would be comming through the door in a second.

Unfortunately I still can't say it felt like anything more than a HL2 "Sin" mod. The story aspect seemed lacking and it was what I was hoping the "episodic" nature of the game would concentrate more on. Also sorely missing was a "previously on sin" at the beginning of the game. I remember finishing Sin a long time ago but it was so long ago I really don't remember what happened. It would be nice to have a bit of a next gen engine recap of the first game.

For me it was worth the $18 I paid for it. I want it to be longer but it is about right with the price given most games run $40-$50 for about the 10 hours of gameplay. I will probably buy the next episode to see if they improve the gameplay and actually tell a story. Probably the one thing most gamers are going to hate about it is the lack of weapons given the genre of the game. Only 3 in this game makes it feel like a limited demo rather than a full game.
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-06, 01:29 AM   #84
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Just beat it, I thought it was great Yea the graphics are a little dated, but its a pretty straightforward shooter, and it made me want to play to the finish. Not to mention the part after the credits was hilarious ahha

The next episode should have plenty more weapons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SinEpisodes 2006-05-12 22-43-15-32.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	18139  Click image for larger version

Name:	SinEpisodes 2006-05-12 22-43-31-45.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	18140