Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-12-06, 11:34 AM   #25
spirited1

Default Re: Vanguard coming to PS3?!?!

They've confirmed that flying mounts are to be in at launch.

Of course...you'll probably need to be near max lvl before you can get one and they'll likely be very very expensive...but oh my god. Flying mounts. And they won't be on rails, ala EQ2 and WoW griff's. You'll have total control. Imagine you and your whole guild on flying mounts. That is some serious mobilisation right there. I haven't even begun to think of the pvp opportunities.

EDIT
More thoughts...Brad has talked before about mounted combat (mounted as in horses). He said they are planning it but it won't make release because he wanted it done properly. I wonder if this would extend to arial combat. Whole guilds clashing in the air. Dog fights. That's mind blowing.

nrdstrm, thanks for the info. Hope you get that vid sorted, if not, any more info is welcomed!
Old 05-12-06, 11:55 AM   #26
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited1
They've confirmed that flying mounts are to be in at launch.

Of course...you'll probably need to be near max lvl before you can get one and they'll likely be very very expensive...but oh my god. Flying mounts. And they won't be on rails, ala EQ2 and WoW griff's. You'll have total control. Imagine you and your whole guild on flying mounts. That is some serious mobilisation right there. I haven't even begun to think of the pvp opportunities.

EDIT
More thoughts...Brad has talked before about mounted combat (mounted as in horses). He said they are planning it but it won't make release because he wanted it done properly. I wonder if this would extend to arial combat. Whole guilds clashing in the air. Dog fights. That's mind blowing.

nrdstrm, thanks for the info. Hope you get that vid sorted, if not, any more info is welcomed!
I seriously think you are making "flying mounts" bigger than it really is. It will just be basically a mount just like a horse, only it "flys". By "fly" I mean it probably wont go up or down, just levitate a little bit. It will probably have the same exact capabilities of a horse, just a different graphic. Still cool though
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-06, 12:25 PM   #27
spirited1

I could have sworn I read somewhere they meant "proper" flying. But I think you're right Tygerwoody.

Quote:
The Vanguard game engine is being designed to allow for flying (some screenshots and last year's E3 in-game movie show this, and some of you who have had the game demo'd to you have probably seen us use GM powers and then fly high up into the air -- having a true seamless world really helps with this too, btw). Mobs already fly and can path through the air as well as on land and under water.

That said, fully supporting true flying involves a lot of planing and additional functionality and so it's unlikely we'll support true flying (as opposed to levitation, which has been in many games, back to EQ 1 and before that) at launch. Hopefully in an expansion we can really explore additional modes of travel like this. Also, griffon rides that are on tracks like WoW and EQ 2 have wouldn't be hard to implement.

Anyway, just want to be up front about this and manage expectations. Were we to have, for example, fly carpets, they would levitate, not truly fly.
Oh well. It was a cool thought. Maybe in an expansion.
Old 05-13-06, 12:15 PM   #28
lognoronon

Well the flying mount they were showing off at E3 looked pretty cool. Hopefully that makes it in with full flying. I was actualy sitting at the vanguard booth for a good while yesterday. I must admit I'm actualy getting excited about the game now as opposed to not wanting anything to do with it prior.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 04:13 PM   #29
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lognoronon
Well the flying mount they were showing off at E3 looked pretty cool. Hopefully that makes it in with full flying. I was actualy sitting at the vanguard booth for a good while yesterday. I must admit I'm actualy getting excited about the game now as opposed to not wanting anything to do with it prior.
Crazy..I was there quite a bit yesterday as well (both the SOE booth (out front and inside) and the Sigil Booth. Not sure if you saw me, but I had a Laker Jersey on and was filming with a tripod and sometimes had a mic out...
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 05:24 PM   #30
lognoronon

Maybe I did who knows,any kind of hat on? I had a grey shirt on with some jeans and glasses.

Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 08:02 PM   #31
nrdstrm

I was wearing a Washington Redskins hat...
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 08:16 PM   #32
lognoronon

Then yes I think I did see you. Yesterday early afternoon I think it was.

Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ