Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-13-06, 11:48 AM   #13
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke
Default Re: Why are Linux (graphics) drivers slower than windows drivers??

The Windows drivers overoptimize on a per game basis too remember. They cut corners whenever they can. Loads of game specific code in them. We don't get that "advantage", and in fact I'm glad about that.

Anything for higher benchmark scores on big name review sites.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 11:50 AM   #14
Lethe

Too stop this silly thread, Windows is a closed source 'secret squirrel' OS - you can make the bench mark tests prove any result you want - you have no control on what it measures, nor on what the bench marking tool reports, as it is all hidden.

You cannot compare oranges and apples.

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 12:26 PM   #15
marsboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe
Too stop this silly thread, Windows is a closed source 'secret squirrel' OS - you can make the bench mark tests prove any result you want - you have no control on what it measures, nor on what the bench marking tool reports, as it is all hidden.

You cannot compare oranges and apples.

Nick
Now, that's a silly argument!!

So according to you, every windows based benchmark out there is "fake" numbers, produced by the OS. As long as the output is reasonably the same image quality wise, I don't care what one OS does to get better performance than the other one.
marsboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 12:36 PM   #16
Lethe

You cannot prove that Windows benchmarks are not contrived (how can you?).

A lot of things are hidden and mis-reported in MS software (i.e. transfer of data over TCP/IP) as they remove/absorb the overheads that they considered the user doesn't need to see.

So comparing MS windows with any open source OS is a false comparison.

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 12:42 PM   #17
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsboer
Now, that's a silly argument!!

So according to you, every windows based benchmark out there is "fake" numbers, produced by the OS. As long as the output is reasonably the same image quality wise, I don't care what one OS does to get better performance than the other one.
not so fast!

nvidia cheated... you see why _we_ are sceptical about windows benchmark.
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 01:27 PM   #18
marsboer

Yes, there have been issues.

But in most cases optimizing (not faking higher scores) is only for the benefit for us users. Per game optimizing is brilliant in my opinion. That way we get the most from each game. This is as long as it's not affecting image quality in a noticable way of course.
Old 05-13-06, 02:43 PM   #19
twljagflba

Here are some NVIDIA Windows Versus Linux Numbers from last December:

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=5440
twljagflba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-06, 03:20 PM   #20
mrn

Quote:
I'm talking about OpenGL games performance with native games..

I've seen a few comparisons on the web:

This one compares doom 3 performance
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2241

Here's another one:
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.../10/12/1725246

Of course this is not enough to base a conclusion, but it gives a hint of the general performance.
This is not a "Linux sucks" thread, I'm genuinely interested in why there are such differences in performance when the drivers are almost the same
and you can read what ID said when they released doom3? It is optimized for windows, and all assembly optimizations are currently windows only. As more patches showed up moving more optimizations into the linux port the gap closed.

It's the same with most native games, they are far more optimized for windows, and linux still wins over windows in some benchmarks (especially after a few simple optimizations patches).
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-06, 03:31 PM   #21
arokh

Quote:
I still play Quake 3 excessive which runs very well in Linux... but it's so annoying to play it in linux since you get mouse accel which can't be turned off in a reasonable way!!! That sucks and is very unnessesary.

Sorry for my bad english, but I'm norwegian
To turn off acceleration: xset m 0 0
Old 05-13-06, 05:13 PM   #22
marsboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arokh
To turn off acceleration: xset m 0 0
If I can remember correctly I tried that.. but that turns off accel in x doesn't it??

The problem was that I couldn't get rid of mouse accel in Q3 even though I could remove it in X. It's a known problem, and there are some solutions to it, something about adding a "fake mouse" in a config file, fooling q3 to set mouse accel on the fake mouse or something. Anyway, it wasn't easy..
Old 05-13-06, 05:17 PM   #23
marsboer

Ok, so it's often not the graphics drivers that is the problem (but linux drivers still lack in features compared to windows ones), but rather bad linux implementations even with the native games?
Old 05-13-06, 08:48 PM   #24
zbiggy

If you look for speedy Linux try source based Linux distro (lunar-linux, source mage, sorcerer, gentoo, rock...etc) build it for your CPU with all mmx,3dnow,sse123 support, all gcc optimizations enabled and minimal number of appliactions installed. I think this time Linux will win the race with speed and quality better than in all windows games. The popular Linux distros are slow because are binary optimized for generic Pentium (586). Later distros moved to 686 but this is still much slower than fine tuned source based distros.

Then ask Mr. Bill Gates for source based Windows and do the same to have similar testing environment.

Optimized Windows games and drivers break quality and compability. The screens are ugly. Many reviews described such cheap cheats.

source based Linux distros catalogue:
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ca...&status=Active

source based Windows:
look at Microsoft servers (after coming in (pirate) )

Last edited by zbiggy; 05-13-06 at 08:53 PM. Reason: small spelling fixes
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote