Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-03, 11:02 AM   #1
turtle2

Default 2 cards + 2 displays + xinerama = crash on exit

I have a geforce 2 mx 200 agp card and a riva tnt2 pci card, and I'm trying to run X with xinerama with the main disaply at 1280x1024 and the second display at 1024x768. The driver is 4191.

Everything works fine, except that X crashes when I log out. (This is when I'm at system init level 5). When it crashes, the cursor is an "x" and I get the black-and-white default X background. Key combinations don't work to shut down X at this point.

I've already tried switching from gdm to kdm, but the problem persists. Is the problem the version of X I'm using (4.2.99.3), or is it the driver? Should I try an older version of the nvidia driver?
turtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-03, 03:33 PM   #2
hermit

I have the same problem, with nearly an identical setup. I have a GForce 2MX card and a Riva Vanta both displaying at 1280x1024. If I shutdown/reboot
without shutting down X the machine will hang. The machine itself is an Athlon Tbird with a VIA chipset.

I suspect this is a problem with the NVdriver hanging when it tries to shut down/unload. The only work around that I know of is to shut down X before rebooting (e.g. - switch to runlevel 3, or whatever will get rid of xdm/gdm/kdm for you on machine).
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote