Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-04, 10:28 PM   #1
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Arrow EverQuest 2 performance discussion thread

I figured I'd start a new thread just a performance issues with this game. The other thread is a bit long and all over the place.

My game is running like absolute crap and I'm not sure if it's just buggy or driver related. It gets extremly in spots. I'm also getting graphical spikes every now and then.

66.93 Officals
1280x1064
2xaa-16xaf
High Settings but also tried balance setting. Little difference and both were choppy.

PC setup is in the sig. All drivers are up to date and the only thing overclocked is the 6800gt. Which I downed clocked from running stable at 420/1150 for months now to 400/1100 for this game.

How is this game running for you guys? Post settings, drivers etc. Thanks.
Old 11-11-04, 11:26 PM   #2
Sgt_Pitt

Default Re: EQ2 - Driver-Settings-Performance

the game is running crap. i have a 6800ultra everything up date blah blah..

i think theres a problem with the huge amount of overdraw in this game, its trying to draw everything in the distance, there needs to be fog in the distance to stop it trying to draw everything.

i drop to 15 fps in the town no matter what setting im using. Its driving me absolutley NUTS, i cant play the game till i get this sorted.

15 FPS in an alleyway with not much going on is bloody horrible for a 6800u

im so pissed.

WoW was heaps better, maybe not in the amount of effects but nice and smooth and good to look at.

State of the art gfx my ass, more like rushed unoptimized game engine.

could it be the fact that im playing from australia, even though i have broadband ? hmmm not happy
Old 11-11-04, 11:39 PM   #3
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Lightbulb Re: EQ2 - Driver-Settings-Performance

Hmm something bad with you guys *Don't play on extreme quality*, when soloing in not crowded areas you can have High Quality settings and get decent FPS ~40+, in moderate places Balanced works well all arround ~50 , and High Performance gets constant 50~60 FPS in heavy combat places.
FPS does fluctuate from high 80s to low teens depending on settings and how quickly situation changes in zone.
Its not that bad , just designed for future generation of cards if ya want all the bling blings

The Peat Bog i think got some nice dark swamp feel to it , fps goes down in that zone .
Old 11-11-04, 11:42 PM   #4
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Pitt
the game is running crap. i have a 6800ultra everything up date blah blah..

i think theres a problem with the huge amount of overdraw in this game, its trying to draw everything in the distance, there needs to be fog in the distance to stop it trying to draw everything.

i drop to 15 fps in the town no matter what setting im using. Its driving me absolutley NUTS, i cant play the game till i get this sorted.

15 FPS in an alleyway with not much going on is bloody horrible for a 6800u

im so pissed.

WoW was heaps better, maybe not in the amount of effects but nice and smooth and good to look at.

State of the art gfx my ass, more like rushed unoptimized game engine.

could it be the fact that im playing from australia, even though i have broadband ? hmmm not happy

The only way to improve your performance in town is to have more memory. Even EQ 1 drops in low teens in towns on modern cards, I havent played a mmorpg that doesnt lag in crowded areas. Theres lots for your CPU to draw. I dont know what your expecting. But this is typical to every mmorpg I have played. More memory will also help the texture swapping.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-04, 11:45 PM   #5
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Exclamation Re: EQ2 - Driver-Settings-Performance

Thing is he already got 1.25 Gigs of ram !! , maybe server he is playing was just extra lagging at that moment or something.
Old 11-11-04, 11:53 PM   #6
nod

Put me in the category of crap performance. I've got a new-ish Alienware 3.0ghz, a gig of RAM and a 6800 Ultra, and the performance was pretty lame. Lotsa chugging, stuttering and dropped frames... even when I turned down the settings lower, the performance issues never went away 100%.

Having said that, I cancelled my account and am returning the game. I felt like I was playing the options menu more than the game itself, and it just became more of a hassle than anything else.

WoW runs excellent at highest quality, 8xAA and 16xAF, and it ends up looking a helluva lot better than EQ2 once you turn all the options off just so you can run it ok...

Something is wrong with the EQ2 engine... they'll fix it eventually, I'm sure, and when they do, I'll take another look, but I'm not going to waste my time endlessly messing around in the options menu. YMMV of course, especially if you are into settings and options tweaking.
nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 01:19 AM   #7
Sgt_Pitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod
Put me in the category of crap performance. I've got a new-ish Alienware 3.0ghz, a gig of RAM and a 6800 Ultra, and the performance was pretty lame. Lotsa chugging, stuttering and dropped frames... even when I turned down the settings lower, the performance issues never went away 100%.

Having said that, I cancelled my account and am returning the game. I felt like I was playing the options menu more than the game itself, and it just became more of a hassle than anything else.

WoW runs excellent at highest quality, 8xAA and 16xAF, and it ends up looking a helluva lot better than EQ2 once you turn all the options off just so you can run it ok...

Something is wrong with the EQ2 engine... they'll fix it eventually, I'm sure, and when they do, I'll take another look, but I'm not going to waste my time endlessly messing around in the options menu. YMMV of course, especially if you are into settings and options tweaking.

HAHA exactly how i feel. ive been playing the GFX menu for the last 2 days since ive had it.
Old 11-12-04, 02:42 AM   #8
nrdstrm

UMMM...It's running increadibly well for me at medium settings (p4 3.0, 1gb ddr400, 5900Ultra) AND it looks beautiful...Not sure what the deal is, but I'll let you guys know when I get a 6800GT to throw in my system (hopefully only a few weeks from now). But if you are returning the game because of "bad performance" on graphics, then your not a gamer anyway....It's about gameplay, and EQII so far has been stunning to me...
Nrdstrm
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-04, 05:13 AM   #9
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

does a 56k modem affect the graphic performance?
Old 11-12-04, 05:20 AM   #10
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

anyway i have heard 2 gb of ram really helps a looot
Old 11-12-04, 06:52 AM   #11
Ghosthunter

Check out this guide here:

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/e...essage.id=3265

Very good detailed on how to customize display settings to get great performance without sacrificing quality

For the most part after a full defrag and on 66.93 my system runs very well except in towns I have to turn everything off..but that is to be expected.

Keep in mind this game was designed for systems that are not even out yet to make it more future proof
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 07:22 AM   #12
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

does the game supports double processor sistems? (2,4,8 ways opteron or multi Xeon)