Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-06, 01:33 PM   #13
meskalamdug

Default Re: Nvidia 8762-same problem for tv apps!

I don't understand one thing...dga is removed..ok,but xv don't work also!
Xv too is removed?
meskalamdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 05:09 PM   #14
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@meskalamdug: DGA support has been removed for the reasons outlined in the README and those discussed earlier in this thread. The v4l/memPhysBase bug referred to in the post above is present in 1.0-8774 and urelated to Xv; it should be fixed in 1.0-9xxx.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 05:14 PM   #15
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskalamdug
I don't understand one thing...dga is removed..ok,but xv don't work also!
Xv too is removed?
Not quite. Xv is not removed; there is still full support for it as far as the card and its X driver are concerned. (I can still play video files using mplayer's "-vo xv" output, for instance, even without this horrible hack.) The video card can still be used as an XVideo "target". (I actually have no idea how XVideo is programmed, so I am assuming that you set up a source and a target, either of which can be files, XVideo ports, or perhaps source/sink C functions. I could be completely wrong on the mechanism there, though.)

What got broken was Xvideo overlay support -- XVideo from the V4L driver directly to the video card's framebuffer, without passing the data through system RAM. This is different from setting up an XVideo stream from the V4L device to a file, and is also different from setting up an XVideo stream from a file to the framebuffer. Only transfers that go directly from the V4L device to the framebuffer are broken. (They are broken because the V4L driver needs to know the physical memory base address of the framebuffer so that it can tell the video capture card where to send its data. It uses the memPhysBase structure member for this info, and the nvidia driver now sets this member to zero. So the capture card ends up overwriting "random" physical RAM with its captured data.)

This is also why "grabdisplay" modes work properly, and why telling xawtv to use /dev/video0 as its source also works. In all of those setups, xawtv (or whatever program) manually pulls in each frame from the video device (through /dev/video0 using the V4L2 ioctl()s and read()s), does any scaling or color conversion that may be required, and sends the transformed frame to the X server to be put on the screen. XVideo overlay never comes into the picture. But that's also why those modes use more CPU and system RAM than necessary: because of the colorspace conversion, the scaling, and the separate reading and writing steps.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 02:49 AM   #16
pgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
I don't have experience with watching tv on a computer but I believe most tv applications have added alternative backends using OpenGL which should work fine.
Actually, in my experience, the OpenGL stuff does not seems too stable, with xawtv.
It tends to crash and/or result in unviewable picture.
Eventually the nvidia.ko needs to be unloaded/reloaded to reset things.

But, this might not be a driver problem, maybe an xawtv one, since mplayer, with OpenGL, works fine.

There is also an other strange issue, which might still be xawtv and/or mplayer related.
It is not possible to use first xawtv and then (after stopping it) use mplayer still with xvideo overlay. There is simply no picture (black) on playing window.

As mentioned, these could be xawtv/mplayer problems, but since we are here: does anybody experienced something similar?
Any suggestion on how to check/debug this?

Thanks.
pgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 03:24 AM   #17
mtrax

does this affect MythTV?
mtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 06:17 AM   #18
meskalamdug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrax
does this affect MythTV?
I think yes
meskalamdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 05:46 PM   #19
mtrax

so this just affect anyone with memPhysBase in there xorg.conf? or where is this specified
Old 08-28-06, 06:10 PM   #20
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgs
But, this might not be a driver problem, maybe an xawtv one, since mplayer, with OpenGL, works fine.
In my experience, xawtv with OpenGL works fine. Not sure what you're seeing, in other words. Hmm...

Quote:
There is also an other strange issue, which might still be xawtv and/or mplayer related.
It is not possible to use first xawtv and then (after stopping it) use mplayer still with xvideo overlay. There is simply no picture (black) on playing window.
If by "stopping it" you mean "exiting xawtv", then I don't see that, and you have something odd going on. If by "stopping it" you mean "pausing playback somehow while xawtv is still running", then that's expected. Something with XVideo prevents two programs from using it at once (... well, or something with XVideo prevents two programs from using the same Xv port as their target, one or the other). If I start mplayer in Xv mode, then pause its playback, then start xawtv in Xv mode, I get the same black screen from xawtv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrax
so this just affect anyone with memPhysBase in there xorg.conf? or where is this specified
It's not specified by the user at all, and it's not valid anywhere in xorg.conf. memPhysBase is the name of one of the members of the X server's (internal) screen structure; the video card driver is supposed to fill it in when it initializes the card as the X server starts up. The issue is that recent nvidia drivers (nvidia_drv.o, not nvidia.ko) do not fill this structure member in anymore. 8178 and earlier did.

It affects anyone running nvidia drivers 8756 through 8774 (and perhaps newer versions, though it's supposed to be fixed once 9xxx comes out). XVideo overlays don't work for anyone using these drivers.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-06, 02:42 AM   #21
pgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwkaz
In my experience, xawtv with OpenGL works fine. Not sure what you're seeing, in other words. Hmm...

If by "stopping it" you mean "exiting xawtv", then I don't see that, and you have something odd going on. If by "stopping it" you mean "pausing playback somehow while xawtv is still running", then that's expected. Something with XVideo prevents two programs from using it at once (... well, or something with XVideo prevents two programs from using the same Xv port as their target, one or the other). If I start mplayer in Xv mode, then pause its playback, then start xawtv in Xv mode, I get the same black screen from xawtv.
The problem with OpenGL is, for example, when resizing or moving around the xawtv window. It happens also when selecting different workspaces. It seems in any situation in which the GL plane is somehow "manipulated" strange things happen. Watching TV only does work fine.
Not only this, but results are not always the same. Sometimes I got a blue (yes blue) screen on xawtv and I need to restart X. Sometimes it recovers after a while, sometimes it crashes X at once.
As I said, watching TV per se it's OK with OpenGL, but I cannot do anything else. Strange enough mplayer does not seem to suffer the same problem, which could mean that v4l + gl could be guilty.
Graphic card is FX5200 (I would said "the usual one").

About xawtv/mplayer with overlay, yes I meant exiting xawtv.
I will have to try it again, since I did some updates in the meantime, but the bottom line was that xawtv seemed to not de-init properly the overlay, like it was not usable anymore by mplayer, but xawtv could be restarted with no problems. So I do not know where the issue is: xawtv, mplayer or driver. Or even X11.

In this case the solution is to use mplayer with gl2 driver, which uses more CPU, but in this case there is no requirement to do something else in parallel (different case is for TV applications).

Anyway, all this would be low impact _if_ the xvideo overlay would work...

Thanks,

bye,

pgs
Old 08-29-06, 09:03 AM   #22
CuChullain
Irreverent Heathen

I have occasionally had the same kinda problem with xawtv and mplayer but it's usually the other way around. xawtv is black after playing a movie in mplayer. I fix it by using nvidia-settings to reset the X Server XVideo Settings. No need to exit X and unload the module.
CuChullain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 01:36 PM   #23
pgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuChullain
I have occasionally had the same kinda problem with xawtv and mplayer but it's usually the other way around. xawtv is black after playing a movie in mplayer. I fix it by using nvidia-settings to reset the X Server XVideo Settings. No need to exit X and unload the module.
Actually I checked and you're right, it seems mplayer mess up the xvideo overlay and xawtv does not work anymore (black screen).
Your suggestion also works, even if it is a bit uncomfortable.

Thanks for the hint.

bye,

pgs
Old 08-30-06, 02:07 AM   #24
mtrax

another question from the title this seems to imply that this bug exist for older 8xxx drivers so if I'm not afflicted with this problem on the previous driver can I assume the 8774 driver is ok?