Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-25-06, 03:43 AM   #1
d13f00l

Default Argh! Help! Is LCD scaling still broken in 8762?

I was waiting so long for this release, hoping for a fix to make my LCD/video card not useless for gaming.

My screen's native res is 1280x1024, if I switch to 640x480 I can't set the scaling mode with nvidia-settings, centered and aspect scaled both do nothing! Nor do X's config settings for LCD Scaling. They used to work, in the release a few cycles ago...falling back to those drivers is not an option. I had massive memory leak issues with them.

Last edited by d13f00l; 05-25-06 at 04:12 AM.
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-06, 03:56 AM   #2
d13f00l

Default Re: Argh! Help! Is LCD scaling still broken in 8762?

asdfsdgadsg
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (80.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 05-25-06, 03:58 AM   #3
d13f00l

A bug report was filed for this literally on the day of the last release, was it fixed on that end? I was told it had a ticket and everything. If so, then it's probably a configuration problem on my end. If not...I'm very upset.

I don't have that much time to screw around with X this week, before I spend any time trying to make it work, was the issue fixed or not, supposudly? If not, I won't even bother screwing with X's config.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-06, 12:28 PM   #4
d13f00l

Any ideas?
Old 05-25-06, 10:56 PM   #5
d13f00l

For anyone that LCD Scaling centered/fixed aspect ratio works for, can I see your xorg.conf file? Does it work or not work?
Old 05-25-06, 11:38 PM   #6
isez2001

The best advice I can give you is to be more patient. A thread with five posts, entirely from one guy (and all within 24 hours of the thread's start), may not be taken too seriously by people on the forum here.

If I understand your problem correctly, a 640x480 screen stays centered within your LCD rather than scaling to fill the panel?

I just upgraded to the new driver today, and all resolutions stretch to fill my 17" DVI panel on my GeForce 6150.

I'm running Xgl right now, so nvidia-settings doesn't work for me--I can't tell you anything about that.

I won't be able to post anything until tomorrow at least, but let me know what specific information about my setup you think would be helpful, and I'll do what I can.
isez2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-06, 01:07 AM   #7
d13f00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by isez2001
The best advice I can give you is to be more patient. A thread with five posts, entirely from one guy (and all within 24 hours of the thread's start), may not be taken too seriously by people on the forum here.

If I understand your problem correctly, a 640x480 screen stays centered within your LCD rather than scaling to fill the panel?

I just upgraded to the new driver today, and all resolutions stretch to fill my 17" DVI panel on my GeForce 6150.

I'm running Xgl right now, so nvidia-settings doesn't work for me--I can't tell you anything about that.

I won't be able to post anything until tomorrow at least, but let me know what specific information about my setup you think would be helpful, and I'll do what I can.
No. It scales to full screen. It's not SUPPOSED to do that if I have "fixed aspect" or "centered" scaling enabled. If you scale an 800x600 image to full screen on a 1280x1024 LCD, the image will become distorted because it is out of aspect.

If you set "fixed aspect" in nvidia settings, it should scale to full screen, with black bars on the top and bottom. Mine scales full screen regardless, but it used to work in an older version of the drivers.

Sorry, I'm very impatient and frusturated, mainly because ive been waiting for working drivers for well over half a year.

I have the following options

Old driver - xorg lockups, working LCD scaling, meh performance, working overclocking

Driver before last - massive memory leak, broken overclocking, working LCD scaling, meh performance

last driver/this driver - no memory leak, working overclocking, broken lcd scaling, better performance

Unless I'm just setting something wrong...

If you can go into nvidia-settings, and set centered or aspect scaled lcd scaling, and then drop your resolution below native, and if it scales properly(with the black bars, or just a box in the screen if centered is selected), can you give me your xorg config?
Old 05-27-06, 09:18 PM   #8
d13f00l

Still having the same issue. Toyed around with X's config a bit, tried generating a fresh one with nvidia-xconfig, scaling still doesn't work right.

Does this work for anyone else?

Old 08-04-06, 06:26 PM   #9
labba

Hi,
could you ever solve this problem?
I've got the same issue with the scaling options: No matter what option I choose, nothing happens: Non-native resolutions are stretched to the whole screen.
labba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 10:32 PM   #10
jjt3hii

Same issue for me since release. Because i game widscreen this makes all 4:3 games unplayable. Thus i'm using XP for the past couple months.

Many other issues too. Dual core with nvidia seems to piss off alot of games on ubuntu, fedora, and opensuse. Haven't tried any others.

I have 3 viewsonic widescreens and on all three the 7900GTX will not allow 1680x1050 unless i specify special modes with "1680x1050_60". Otherwise i get out of range errors. This also happens on XP with centered no scaling. Only fix is to use 7800GTX port 2 instead of port 1. But on the 7900GTX, there is no fix. forums all over the internet on this issue.

... dissappointed.
jjt3hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 11:01 AM   #11
labba

Please, any official statement if this bug is known / will be fixed with next release?
Any suggestions how to work around this problem?
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (24.7 KB, 138 views)
labba is offline   Reply With Quote