Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Rumor Mill

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-02, 09:00 AM   #1
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

Default Athlon 2400+ and 2600+? 333 MHz Front-side bus??

The wicked rumor..may be true
http://www.amdmb.com/index.php#News-4792

Well guys, this is some big news I'd like to share with everyone. After some phone calls to and from various sources inside the AMD underbelly.
I have news of the next Athlon XP processors to be released as the 2400+ and and 2600+ to combat the on going competition from Intel. While simple speed increases are not big news for a processor, there is more to this than meets the eye. Even before the introduction of the Athlon XP 2200+ processor, AMD knew they were having a small problem with the .13 micron cores and thus a second revision of the Thoroughbred core was put underway. This new revision, while not officially announced (and it may not be) is under going some testing with great results. The 2400+ processor is set to run at 2.0 GHz and the 2600+ processor is looking to be at 2.13 Ghz. As Intel has plans of releasing a 3.0 Ghz processor towards the end of this year, this kind of speed boost from AMD is desperately needed -- perhaps even more.

As if things couldn't get better, along with this news comes an update on the fabled 333 MHz FSB Athlons. I was told that the AMD labs are really looking into this and testing it out with the newer "rev 2" cores of the Thoroughbred. While AMD could take the current 266 MHz FSB up to the 2.13 GHz range, moving beyond that would be very tricky and I have it on good authority that AMD has a lot more life in the Thoroughbred than many are expecting. What does that mean? I think we are going to see the 333 MHz FSB processors and fairly soon. The inside tip also explained that a decision by the AMD authorities on whether or not to use the 333 MHz FSB will be finalized within the next three weeks.

While nothing was mentioned of the Barton core, we have two options as to its whereabouts. Either this "rev 2" is the Barton and the info about the extra cache was left out, or Barton will follow this "rev 2" Thoroughbred.

In either case, this is the kind of news that we need to know that AMD is working hard on keeping the Pentium 4 within its grasp of control. If more comes to me, you can be sure it will be posted here, on Amdmb.com or the AMD Forums!
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX570 760/1950 | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 10:36 AM   #2
Philibob

Send a message via ICQ to Philibob Send a message via AIM to Philibob

This could be correct as I think I read somewhere that the nForce2 m/b supports 333Mhz FSB. I read this about 2 week ago.

Last edited by Philibob; 07-31-02 at 11:31 AM.
Philibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 10:40 AM   #3
netviper13
Treehugger

That nForce2 purchase is sounding better and better, heh.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 11:38 AM   #4
JonathanM
Crazy Canuck

All I have to say is that it's about bloody time that AMD ups the fsb speed.
Old 07-31-02, 11:46 AM   #5
volt

That's some promising rumors heheh
That new FSB clock could make some real difference. The only thing I don't like about AMD releasing new CPU's is the low MHz incrementation.
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 12:04 PM   #6
netviper13
Treehugger

Although with the increment AND the FSB increase, the overall performance increase will be nice.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 08:58 PM   #7
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by JonathanM
All I have to say is that it's about bloody time that AMD ups the fsb speed.
now let's see some Intel FSB increases for the release of the dual channel DDR mobos! 200MHz FSB anyone?
Old 07-31-02, 10:04 PM   #8
SavagePaladin
info*****

Talking

lets see some Intel released with nForce mobos...then maybe I'll care. Oh yeah, not gonna happen yet. I forgot.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-02, 11:12 PM   #9
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
lets see some Intel released with nForce mobos...then maybe I'll care. Oh yeah, not gonna happen yet. I forgot.
and i keep wondering why. nvidia needs to get some integrated graphics in the Intel market
Old 07-31-02, 11:14 PM   #10
SavagePaladin
info*****

they've said before, they don't want to bother paying the license fees OR competing with Intel until they have a perfected product.
Old 07-31-02, 11:30 PM   #11
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by SavagePaladin
they've said before, they don't want to bother paying the license fees OR competing with Intel until they have a perfected product.
yeah they say that, but do you really believe it? a dual channel ddr solution would have cleaned the house last year on P4. then again, they had lots of problems getting nforce out the door, and it was an expensive platform. nforce2 looks much more impressive and cost conscious. but we still have heard *nothing* not even a rumor, of a P4 chipset yet.

with nvidia getting hit by the influx of integrated graphics/mobo combos on the Intel side it is only a matter of time, AMD isn't getting much more popular with oems, and it's losing market share as a whole.
Old 08-01-02, 02:41 AM   #12
SavagePaladin
info*****

AMDs current lineup isn't impressing anyone anymore, thats their problem. They will when Hammers hit, I'd guess, and NV will have their solution for that too.