Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-26-06, 08:41 PM   #1
rpesq

Default Screen Flickering Geforce 6100 and Suse, possible solution

Under both Suse 10.0 and 10.1, I would always get random (but annoying) screen flickering. I see other people have posted the same.

I have integrated Geforce 6100, 1 GB ram, Athlon64 3500+, Acer AC713 flat CRT monitor (new), with brand new Acer Aspire PC. Bios is set to reserve 128M for video. The optimal screen resolution for my monitor is 1024x768 @ 85Hz.

I have found that 24-bit color depth causes the problem, at least in my situation. When I turn the color depth down to "thousands of colors" (the next lower setting from 24 bit), the flickering stops. Not sure whether this is a bug in the driver or something else. The PC does have a lot of cooling, and the extra fans seldom need to turn on unless I am doing video transcoding or other intense project.

Anyone else notice this behavior? (or have any thoughts on the subject?)

One last observation -- I notice that the Nvidia information panel says that I have 256M video ram. I thought that 128M was the maximum system memory that would be alotted to the video card. Is that correct?
rpesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 12:10 AM   #2
jwlkr

Default Re: Screen Flickering Geforce 6100 and Suse, possible solution

I have the same problem. I noticed that this happens when the CPU clock frequency changes. Stopping cpuspeed stops the flicker. The nvidia linux driver seems to have some problem for the AMD+ GEforce 6100 combination.

lt eme know if you find a solution.
jwlkr is offline   Reply With Quote