Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-06, 04:23 AM   #1
TreshFracks

Default CS Source and GeForce GO 6800 Ultra

Please help me guys, anyone.

I have a Dell XPS M170 Gaming Laptop. It uses a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra as said above. I always play source on this machine with no problem at all, untill recently.

The problem is everytime I play CS:Source, the average fps I recieve is about 45 fps. Its weird because when I do the video stress test, it averages at 76.9 FPS.

To solve the problem I tried the following.

-Reinstalling Source
-Drivers (even though non are offered at Nvidia.com for GF Go)
-Changed resolution.
-Turned off Speed Step
-Plugged AC adapter
-Even Reformatted to have a clean comp.

Still I get sluggish quality, which makes no sense because I saved up so much for this super gaming computer and its giving me mediocre performance. It never used to do this before.

Please help me someone if you know the problem. Here are the specs for my computer.

Dell XPS M170
-Intel Pentium M 2.13GHz
-2.0 GB of Ram
-GeForce GO 6800 Ultra 256 MB
TreshFracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 10:57 AM   #2
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy
Default Re: CS Source and GeForce GO 6800 Ultra

It's not uncommon for you to get lower FPS in actual gameplay then you would on a demo test. The reason for this is that while your CPU has all of it's resources free to help run the demo, when it comes to actual gameplay it has to work on different things. I know the Pentium M has a VERY low L1 cache and that could be a bottleneck.

The fact that everything was fine for you until recently means that you may have installed something that is now running in the background taking up some of the resources needed for gameplay.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 05:05 PM   #3
TreshFracks

[quote=l recently means that you may have installed something that is now running in the background taking up some of the resources needed for gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Well see thats the thing, thats why I reformatted, just in case I unawarely installed something that might be running without me be aware of it in the background. And besides, I have 2000 MB's worth of RAM.

If thats the case, do you know how I can check if there IS anything in the background?

Or maybe the problem is something else.
TreshFracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-06, 09:38 AM   #4
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

I would guess that it's possible that Source has had a recent update that could have a bigger resource footprint then it did before. As to how to check if something is being a resource hog, hit ctrl, alt, delete to bring up Windows Task Manager and then click on the tab processes. Here you can see what programs are using your system resources and how big of a footprint it has on your CPU and memory.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote