Old 06-13-06, 05:25 AM   #169
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork
Default Re: 'HL2: Episode 1' Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra
okay i finally finished it over the weekend

i must say i enjoyed it. only thing I didnt like about it was it want long enuff.

i must say i piss myself laughing everytime the "zombine" pull out a grenade and do the job for me by blowing up themselves n everything aroundthem. lol
Are you kidding? The freaking granade kept blowing me up in the basement level with all the zombies (by far the hardest part in the game).

Other thoughts:

The bad:
- A bit too short (as most people agree), but not TOO short.
- Excesive use of flashlight/dark places. Kinda annoying.
- Slightly repetitive at certain parts, but not too bad.
- As many stated, no new weapons or vehicles or enemies, just you same old same old. It was basically a continuation of the story, not an expansion per say.

The good
- It's more HalfLife2! Need I say more?!
- Engine ran like a beauty on my system... albeit it's a technically old engine, but it ran damn fine, even with HDR and high'ish settings.
- Nice to have alyx fight by your side. Unlike most buddies, she actually HELPS you!
- Nice little cliffhanger leaving you wondering what's so important about the transmission, and who exactly the fatty thing on the screen is.

The ugly:
- It's 5:25 AM...

Bring on Episode 2!

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-06, 06:15 AM   #170
|MaguS|

I have no complaints about the game, It ran fine and was a blast to play. Yeah it was short but it didn't feel incomplete or rushed. Was a great game, far better then some other titles that released earlier (coughSINcough).
Old 06-13-06, 08:15 AM   #171
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork
Are you kidding? The freaking granade kept blowing me up in the basement level with all the zombies (by far the hardest part in the game).
if you watch them you can see them pull it out. and as soon as they do RLH! hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork
- Excesive use of flashlight/dark places. Kinda annoying.
YES, i found that a bit annoying too. esp the part where your waiting for the dam elevator and u gotta keep ur aux power up while defending the swarm of monsters.
Old 06-13-06, 08:18 AM   #172
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra
if you watch them you can see them pull it out. and as soon as they do RLH! hehe.

YES, i found that a bit annoying too. esp the part where your waiting for the dam elevator and u gotta keep ur aux power up while defending the swarm of monsters.

I just shot the hand holding the gernade, it makes them drop it which usually ends up blowing acouple up. As for the dark area, I used the grav gun alot, Just hit them with explosive barrels which save you on flashlight thanks to the fire it causes on the zombies. Only thing that gave me trouble was the quick zombies, those bastards kept coming from different directions.
Old 06-13-06, 02:54 PM   #173
AdmiralHalsey..
Hands Across The Sky...

I'm guessing they updated the animations for the quick zombies. They no longer look like a freakish marionette puppet rushing me, they're feet actually touch the ground while they move and they're locamotion towards the player is quite improved. I guess these kind of improvements should be expected, though, given that all we'll be getting from valve is episodes [ judging from valves statement and game sales [couldn't get a copy on the first day]. Source needs stencil shadows, a soft filter for said shadows, and better and more frequent use of normal maps on environments. Maybe even some current gen tech like parrallax maps and such. gasp...
Old 06-16-06, 07:23 AM   #174
[BANDIT]

Guys how can I get real HDR (16-bit floating point blending)? I have two pics:

With FSAA and HDR on.

With HDR only.

And where is any difference in HDR?

Btw, I know that I can't have 16-bit floating point blending HDR and FSAA on GeForce.
[BANDIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 07:32 AM   #175
|MaguS|

There is only one method of HDR available in all Valves products. Those shots are identical minus the AA.
Old 06-16-06, 07:34 AM   #176
[BANDIT]

I heard that Episode One use 16-bit floating point blending. :/
[BANDIT] is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-06, 05:14 PM   #177
sillyeagle
sillyego

Ok after finishing the game here are my thoughts.

First of all I was surprised at how long the game was, considering everybody said three hours I kept expecting it to end, but it kept going. I would say a good 4.5-5 hours. But then again I didn't make a mad dash from start to finish like the poeple who completed it in 3 hours.

I did not care to much for the all the dark areas, as I have become very tired of that type of play after DIII and FEAR. I was VERY happy when the darkness came to an end.

I thought the game had some of the most artistically beautiful areas i have seen in a game.

The placement of enemies and such made for some of the coolest fights I have encountered in a game.

Overall it was a wicked game and I will gladly pay $20 for the next installment.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 06-16-06, 11:06 PM   #178
superklye

I just got to chapter 3: Lowlife and I have to say, it's been pretty sweet so far. It was definitely worth $3.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 05:36 PM   #179
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

My feedback: Thumbs up!

Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 05:43 PM   #180
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BANDIT]
I heard that Episode One use 16-bit floating point blending. :/
Episode 1 does not use FP16 blending for HDR like Farcry or SC:CT do. The source-engine does not yet has support for this.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote