Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-06, 06:03 PM   #25
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: 'HL2: Episode 1' Feedback Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banko
The problem is sure some animations are better, and some textures are more high-res but every single art asset has been seen in Half-life 2. There is nothing to immersive yourself here.
No, no, no.. You cannot have played through the first chapter in the citidal and make such a claim. More detailed anymations, more detailed ingame cinematics, more detailed backgrounds, definently more detailed looking alyx model AND new effects (the core at the citidal just to name the most prominent) PLUS of cause HDR lightning. I pity you if you can't see the difference, because then you wouldn't need such an expensive rig

Anyway as you can probably tell I was impressed. It was everything I hoped for. I have played 5 hours so far and I'm not nearly done yet. I usally have 10-20% more gameplay time in SP games than the average on this board, so this doesn't surprice me.
It is just like a concentrate of the best moments of HL2 mixed together in a lovely little episode. I must admit, I'm an instant fan of episodes. Clever puzzles, varied gameplay and environments, good storytelling IMO (although they could even knock this up a notch in Episode 2 ) and just a nice execution overall. Well done valve
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 06:03 PM   #26
brady
I'm like everyone else.

The $20 thing is kinda interesting. If you compare it to a 3 hour movie it seems like a ripoff. Of course in a movie you just sit and watch, and with a game you go through the story the way you want in the comfort of your own home. I think it's a 'ok' deal as far as being entertained goes.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 06:12 PM   #27
Lazaredz
Giggitty

Finshed in it about 6 hours. I tend to be on the longer end of "how long does it take to finish" scale.

IMO: Great game. I can't believe my "lowly" rig can play this at 1680*1050 with 2AA/4AF and HDR and really not have any problems. No, it doesn't flow like butter, there was a hitch here and there but ALOT less that I expected. I'm sure if I tweaked with the drivers/settings a bit I would have no problems at all (though I would probably have to ditch the HDR).

I enjoyed this MUCH more than Sin:Emergance. I think I might just be getting too old for the cartoony/12-year-old-boys-view-of-women that it portrays. And don't even get me started on the dialogue.

Combies ... heh ... I liked that joke. (Okay actually I liked the fact that Alex realized how BAD/LAME it was)

So, in conclusion: HL2:E1 = worth $20
Sin:E = Not so much ... maybe $12

YMMV

Mobil: Sager 9261, Q6600, Unknown P965 MB, 4GB (2x2) PC2 6400, 7950 Go, Azalia Sound System, Hitachi 100GB 7200 RPM, Optiarc 8X DVD RW +/-, BIG ARSE BRICK PSU!!!!
Lazaredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 06:22 PM   #28
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Well, actually a 3 hour DVD costs about $15. So $20 is not bad at all for a game with commentary, etc.
Old 06-01-06, 06:49 PM   #29
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Well, actually a 3 hour DVD costs about $15. So $20 is not bad at all for a game with commentary, etc.
Unless you don't care about the commentary.

And you can go watch a movie at a friend's house, or rent it, paying nothing/very little...with episodic gaming--especially on Steam--you can't rent, and playing a friend's copy is doable, I guess, but I don't know a lot of friends that would want to give me their password if this situation came up.

Meh. If these were $10, I'd had no problem buying them. $20 is just WAY too much, especially for getting nothing physical at all and there are none of the fees that come with putting a game on store shelves here.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 07:12 PM   #30
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
No, no, no.. You cannot have played through the first chapter in the citidal and make such a claim. More detailed anymations, more detailed ingame cinematics, more detailed backgrounds, definently more detailed looking alyx model AND new effects (the core at the citidal just to name the most prominent) PLUS of cause HDR lightning. I pity you if you can't see the difference, because then you wouldn't need such an expensive rig

Anyway as you can probably tell I was impressed. It was everything I hoped for. I have played 5 hours so far and I'm not nearly done yet. I usally have 10-20% more gameplay time in SP games than the average on this board, so this doesn't surprice me.
It is just like a concentrate of the best moments of HL2 mixed together in a lovely little episode. I must admit, I'm an instant fan of episodes. Clever puzzles, varied gameplay and environments, good storytelling IMO (although they could even knock this up a notch in Episode 2 ) and just a nice execution overall. Well done valve
HDR has ceazed to amaze me, especially HL2's implementation of it. Again I said there are more detailed and higher res texture and better animations and so forth, but you get tried of looking at Alyx and the walls. Not much in more detail seriously. I liked the game except it really was too short.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 07:15 PM   #31
FierceDeityLink

Send a message via AIM to FierceDeityLink Send a message via MSN to FierceDeityLink Send a message via Yahoo to FierceDeityLink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
I was thinking of the same thing. In fact, one my friends specifically said he'd just use another friend's Steam login to play the game once and be done with it. It all comes with the territory, I guess.
Old 06-01-06, 08:13 PM   #32
anticitizenzero

Send a message via AIM to anticitizenzero

I think the idea valve has with it is there are going to make 3 episodes, which put together, will be about the same length as half life 2 total, 20x3=60 which is around the same price Half Life 2 costed when it came out, therefore your getting another full game in pieces rather than having to wait around 2 or more years knowing valve to put it out, well worth it in my opinion.
anticitizenzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-06, 08:53 PM   #33
superklye

There are going to be 4 episodes. The fourth is unrelated to the other three.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 09:08 PM   #34
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
$20 is just WAY too much, especially for getting nothing physical at all and there are none of the fees that come with putting a game on store shelves here.
Thats not true as they DO pay to have the game on store shelves, and they also pay to have servers and enough badnwidth to make it availalbe without the store. If you want something physical, go to the store.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 06-01-06, 10:06 PM   #35
anticitizenzero

Send a message via AIM to anticitizenzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
There are going to be 4 episodes. The fourth is unrelated to the other three.
Hence why I said 3

I"ve played a ways through the game with commentary on as well which is very informative and intesting.
anticitizenzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 10:28 PM   #36
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
Thats not true as they DO pay to have the game on store shelves, and they also pay to have servers and enough badnwidth to make it availalbe without the store. If you want something physical, go to the store.
Actually, with Steam, its completely pointless to buy something physically, because in the end, you are still tied to Steam itself for authentication. Nor can you easily lend this game, or trade it with friends that you trust, unless you perhaps associate every Steam game with its own account.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote