Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-06, 09:32 AM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Anyone here good at troubleshooting hardware?

I NORMALLY am good at troubleshooting hardware. I am a network admin over close to 1000 PC's and I have NEVER ran into a problem like this. This problem has to do with my home PC.

The PC will loop in reboots. If I do manage to get into windows, within 30 seconds to a minute, my PC freezes for about 3 seconds(even the mouse) and then reboots. Like I said, I"m really lucky if I even make it to Windows.

Here is where it gets weird. While I was testing individual hardware peices, I eventually took out my "extra" harddrive. In my PC I have two harddrives. A SATA harddrive that holds my windows installation and an IDE harddrive that holds my "extra" stuff(music, movies, stuff I don't want on my windows harddrive). Anyway, when I remove my extra harddrive, the PC works PERFECT! I tried different IDE cables and different power cables. It doesn't work, if that harddrive is connected in any way shape or form, it causes the PC to reboot.

First thing that comes to my mind is "maybe bad harddrive". Heres the kicker, I did a complete thorough harddrive test on ANOTHER PC(takes about 2 hours) and the harddrive tested FINE!!!! I can open any file I want. I get 0 errors on this harddrive.

The Good Facts:
Ram is FINE
Video card is FINE
Harddrives are FINE
Sound card is FINE
All cables are FINE. I am a stickler about cables. I went through them again with a fine tooth comb to make sure I'm not hitting a bad ground.

The not so good Facts:
Motherboard is NEW!(however, I have been using for 3 months FINE)
Power Supply is NEW!(Been using for 3 months FINE)
(Yes, these are notsogood facts because that means I don't know 100% that they are not defective in anyway)

Which brings me to what I believe is wrong. Which is in fact the two new parts. Either this motherboard has went bad or the Power Supply has went bad.

The Difficulty:
I don't have any spare parts to swap in another Power Supply or Motherboard(maybe IDE controller?) to see which one is bad or not.

Final Words: As I said before, I am usually good about troubleshooting. Considering I have no spare power supply or Motherboard. I cannot find out which part is bad so that I can RMA it. What is left for me to do?

After typing all this out.... help a brotha out.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 09:41 AM   #2
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra
Default Re: Anyone here good at troubleshooting hardware?

i found the extact same problem when my friend gave me hes pc to fix.

might be the actual ide slot on the mobo thats screwed not the hdd or the cable.
Old 06-02-06, 09:43 AM   #3
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra
i found the extact same problem when my friend gave me hes pc to fix.

might be the actual ide slot on the mobo thats screwed not the hdd or the cable.
I tried both IDE slots and they both give me this same problem.
Old 06-02-06, 09:47 AM   #4
Tr1cK
not coming back

Can you run the system off of just the PATA drive?

My guess would be motherboard. I believe I have more in my system than you with a lower rated PSU and it is fine. Systems typically don't hit 100% load at boot and I'm sure yours shouldn't as well. I also have never seen a 'half working' PSU. It's either cooked or working from my experience. So IMO there's no way that the system could be bringing a 520watt PSU to reboot the system like it does during your bootup. If it has multiple rails I guess one could burn out, but if all devices are working and getting correct voltages, then I would point at the motherboard as the culprit.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 10:36 AM   #5
mullet

1. did you try booting the pc with the power lead in the HD but NO IDE cable attatched?

2. did you try disabling the IDE controler in BIOS with the IDE HD connected with both power and IDE cable attatched? does bios see the IDE drive?
Old 06-02-06, 12:05 PM   #6
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
1. did you try booting the pc with the power lead in the HD but NO IDE cable attatched?

2. did you try disabling the IDE controler in BIOS with the IDE HD connected with both power and IDE cable attatched? does bios see the IDE drive?
1. Yes, The PC works fine as long as the IDE cable is not connected

2. Did not try this. The BIOS does see the IDE drive fine, however once I try to access it in ANY way it reboots.

So far i'm leaning toward Motherboard as well. I just don't see how it worked perfectly fine and then stopped working. Everything else EXCEPT FOR the IDE is working fine. You would think if it was the motherboard I would be having more problems. You never know with motherboards though, they are usually tricky.
Old 06-02-06, 12:05 PM   #7
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Can you run the system off of just the PATA drive?
That drive does not have windows installed, so no.
Old 06-02-06, 12:36 PM   #8
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
1. Yes, The PC works fine as long as the IDE cable is not connected

2. Did not try this. The BIOS does see the IDE drive fine, however once I try to access it in ANY way it reboots.

So far i'm leaning toward Motherboard as well. I just don't see how it worked perfectly fine and then stopped working. Everything else EXCEPT FOR the IDE is working fine. You would think if it was the motherboard I would be having more problems. You never know with motherboards though, they are usually tricky.
yeah I ruled out the PS pretty early, Im not 100% sure in the IDE controler is the culperate, does your IDE cd-roms dvd-roms work fine? does it lock the pc burning a cd or dvd or watching a movie? I wish you had a diff IDE HD to plugin to see even if its a old 10GB 5400rpm. I have switched all my drives over to sata. let me know how it goes man.

Old 06-02-06, 01:37 PM   #9
einstein_314
w00t!!

Did you install the nForce IDE controller driver? If so, uninstall that bad boy. If not, install it? Lol. You never know. What if you boot into safe mode..does it do the same thing?
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 01:53 PM   #10
ViN86

dont use the nvidia IDE drivers. a lot of ppl have stability issues with them. however, they replace (actually overwrite im told) the windows IDE drivers, so a reinstall may be necessary (someone verify this?).

either way, id try losin the nvidia IDE drivers
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-06, 10:52 PM   #11
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Uninstalling Nvidia IDE drivers and installing Windows IDE Drivers fixed it!
Old 06-03-06, 02:22 AM   #12
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Uninstalling Nvidia IDE drivers and installing Windows IDE Drivers fixed it!
I run into this before. Yep IDE drivers run on windows best use MS windows drivers.
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote