Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-02, 11:34 AM   #1
randomname

Question GF4 Ti 4400 Twinview and Console

When I'm using TwinView to give a dual-head display with a GeForce4 Ti 4400 it all boots up fine, on a single head, and X starts correctly over both heads. Unfortunately, I then can't switch back to the text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), just a black screen is displayed (I can switch back to X ok). Everything works fine on a non-TwinView system of otherwise identical configuration.

Has anybody else ever seen this, or a similar problem? Is it a known bug, or how can I fix it?
randomname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 12:02 AM   #2
foot

Send a message via ICQ to foot
Default same problem.. just ran into this today

Same card, same problem.

Operating System Slackware 8.1, XFree 4.*latest nvidia drivers.. etc...

Help us!!

Relevant part of XF86Config-4
-------
################## TwinView
Section "Screen"

Identifier "Screen 2"

Device "nvidia card"
Monitor "My Monitor"

Option "TwinView"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-61"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "50-75"
Option "MetaModes" "1024x768, 1024x768"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
#Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "LCD,CRT"

DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubsection

EndSection
---------------

Thank you in advance for you help
foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-02, 12:04 PM   #3
bwkaz

Default Re: same problem.. just ran into this today

Quote:
Originally posted by foot
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "LCD,CRT"
I don't believe this is the problem, but according to the README, "LCD" is not a valid setting for ConnectedMonitor. The valid settings are "CRT" (cathode-ray tube), "DFP" (digital flat panel), and "TV" (duh). Maybe changing "LCD" to "DFP" might help? If nothing else, it might remove a warning or an error in your X log...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 12:06 PM   #4
foot

Default more info

After switching to DFP the second monitor would not turn on. I tried moving settings around, but it would only come back when I put it to LCD
Old 12-10-02, 02:55 PM   #5
bwkaz

Hmm... well, that was the only thing I saw, unfortunately, so I don't really know.

Old 12-11-02, 04:24 PM   #6
Archie Steel

Default Re: GF4 Ti 4400 Twinview and Console

Quote:
Originally posted by randomname
When I'm using TwinView to give a dual-head display with a GeForce4 Ti 4400 it all boots up fine, on a single head, and X starts correctly over both heads. Unfortunately, I then can't switch back to the text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), just a black screen is displayed (I can switch back to X ok). Everything works fine on a non-TwinView system of otherwise identical configuration.

Has anybody else ever seen this, or a similar problem? Is it a known bug, or how can I fix it?
Yeah, I have the same bug/feature. What I did was to put a metamode where only the main screen is active. To switch to console, I first cycle to that metamode (using Ctrl+keypad plus) and THEN use Ctrl+Alt+Fkey).

It's kind of a pain, but it's bearable. I'll check back on this board to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

Now, if only I could find a way for the vesa framebuffer to work with my GF4, so I can have a nifty boot-up screen...
Archie Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 05:08 PM   #7
bwkaz

Default Re: Re: GF4 Ti 4400 Twinview and Console

Quote:
Originally posted by Archie Steel
Now, if only I could find a way for the vesa framebuffer to work with my GF4, so I can have a nifty boot-up screen...
Works with mine... what's the problem on your end? Is rivafb in the kernel (either permanently or as a loaded module)? -- it shouldn't be...

You need to say yes, in your kernel config, to "VGA text console", "Support for framebuffer devices", and "VESA VGA graphics console". You probably also need to say yes to "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers".
Old 12-11-02, 05:13 PM   #8
Archie Steel

Default Re: Re: Re: GF4 Ti 4400 Twinview and Console

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Works with mine... what's the problem on your end? Is rivafb in the kernel (either permanently or as a loaded module)? -- it shouldn't be...

You need to say yes, in your kernel config, to "VGA text console", "Support for framebuffer devices", and "VESA VGA graphics console". You probably also need to say yes to "Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers".
I'm pretty sure I did build a kernel without rivafb and with vesa enabled - though I might have left it as a module... I'll try it again soon, just to make sure I didn't make a mistake (that was my first attempt at kernel compiling).

After looking around a little bit, I figure it might be the card's BIOS (which may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer) which doesn't support vesa. My own card is a MSI GeForce4 Ti 4400.

Just out of curiosity, what does your vga=xxx line say in lilo.conf?

Old 12-11-02, 06:30 PM   #9
bwkaz

vga=794 (which I believe is 1280x1024, but I'm not positive).

It's an MSI Ti4200 here, BIOS version 4.25.00.29.00 (you should be able to find out from /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0)...
Old 12-12-02, 10:19 AM   #10
Archie Steel

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
vga=794 (which I believe is 1280x1024, but I'm not positive).

It's an MSI Ti4200 here, BIOS version 4.25.00.29.00 (you should be able to find out from /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0)...
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Do you know if it's possible to upgrade (i.e. flash) that BIOS? Though I imagine I'd probably have to reboot in Windows in order to do it...

(Damn, I haven't rebooted in Windows for more than 6 months, now...)
Old 12-12-02, 11:42 AM   #11
bwkaz

I don't have any idea -- this is the BIOS that came in the card.

There were docs on how to do it, but they required you to boot Windows and load up the web site in IE with your ActiveX crap all enabled.

The idea was to make it like Windows Update, but they're still dumb.

I think I might have done some searching around on their site for a way to install a newer BIOS manually, but I don't remember if I ever found anything -- in any case, I never did it.
Old 12-12-02, 04:41 PM   #12
foot

Default Re: GF4 Ti 4400 Twinview and Console

Quote:
I then can't switch back to the text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), just a black screen is displayed (I can switch back to X ok). Everything works fine on a non-TwinView system of otherwise identical configuration.
Thanks Archie. The metamode workaround is working for me.

I have gotten a few responses from elsewhere and they are blaming an "acknowledged bug" "conflict b/n the console framebuffer and the Nvidia driver."
I have also read of other problems with X, Nvidia, and the Console frame buffer.
This seems credible to me.. and I am running a console FB.. but now for the newbie question: How do I disable the console framebuffer so I can test this?