Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-06, 07:11 AM   #25
|MaguS|

Default Re: Will a decent MMORPG come out already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Anarchy Online. http://www.anarchy-online.com/

Yes, it's been around for a while, and it ain't perfect, but it's a fun game, and you can even try it out for free. In fact, I've been playing for over 18 months on a free account, and thoroughly enjoy it.

The basic game is the free bit, with the Shadowlands, Notum Wars, and Alien Invasion expansions being subscription only.

There's another expansion coming out in about 6 months or so, called Lost Eden.

Anyway, if any of you do decided to try it out, I can often be found hanging out in Borealis on one of my many toons ;-)

Cambo lvl 158 Adventurer
Cambots lvl 100 Engineer
Cambureau lvl 47 Bureaucrat
Cambonk lvl 18 Enforcer
Cambosol lvl 54 Soldier
etc...
Your spamming now (Im also guessing your advertising, not even changing your post from the previous one)... as for AO, its total ****. One of the worse MMOs out there. There is a reason why people don't play it and they had to go free just to attract people. I beta tested the game aswell as played retail when it launched, its a horrible game. The funny thing is that EQ1 looks better then it...
Old 06-23-06, 07:50 AM   #26
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

Sorry if you view it as spamming - I was just answering a couple of recent posts concerning MMOs. As for advertising, well, I suppose we all are when we recommend something to someone.

I've read a bit about the complete chaos around the early life of AO. Can't say I blame you for being put off by that.

Yes, the free accounts on AO was a marketing tool. Funnily enough, it seems to have helped. I know several people how tried out the game for free, and have now upgraded. I would have done so myself but for my current RL(tm) situation, which I will not bore you with.

Anyway. AO is an option that can be tried for free. Nothing lost (except time )

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 11:58 AM   #27
lognoronon

To be fair magus the game did make a 180 from launch. I played it at launch and and never wanted to go back after that. Like a lot of MMO's it redeemed itself but could not recover fully from the launch state fiasco. I think it's a solid game now /shrug.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 03:21 PM   #28
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by lognoronon
To be fair magus the game did make a 180 from launch. I played it at launch and and never wanted to go back after that. Like a lot of MMO's it redeemed itself but could not recover fully from the launch state fiasco. I think it's a solid game now /shrug.
I tried playing it recently thanks to the Free Account deal (wish they would stop sending me dam emails though) and almost threwup on my keyboard... it's stilla pile of crap from what I have seen.
Old 06-24-06, 01:20 AM   #29
gravioli

I played WoW for a year and am now playing CoH/CoV. I love it. It's nice not having to spend 4 hours to do one instanced mission. I have also found the community to be very friendly. Sure there are idiots here and there, but nothing that ruins the fun.
Old 06-24-06, 12:00 PM   #30
StoNer
Ubër Baked

FFXI - it brought me back from a 1.5 years of WoW.

Great moments in history**

1. Man learning to make fire
2. Man learning to make and use tools
3. Me cussing out my GuildMaster in WoW and telling him "Find a new Priest loser"
[Display Dell S2309W 23", Samsung 933HD+ 18.5" on NeoFlex LCD Arms]

[Now Playing Star Wars The Old Republic, Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Super Street Fighter IV AE, DayZ]
StoNer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-06, 07:17 PM   #31
killahsin

anarchy online is a completly different game then the release. I played beta, retail, and also helepd create and run the official anarchy online irc server, and your thoughts on anarchy online are just a bit slightly carried away magus. From beta to black friday yes the game was pretty much ****. Post black friday funcom actually started listening to us. and almost 80% of the game was reworked according to what the player base wanted. Not to mention they are the onlly mmo develoeprs to ever work directly with the community on changes via constant direct communication, i.e. irc.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-06, 02:53 PM   #32
MOTÖRHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
Warhammer looks like a cheap WoW.
Man you are a noob. Warhammer was the inspiration Blizzard drew upon to create the Warcraft series. Where did you think the idea of a maruading horde of bad guys from outer space and Orcs from another planet came from ? Warhammer has a 25+ year rich tradition of lore and WAR.
MotherBoard: Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra
Memory: 2 Gigs RAM
Video Card: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 7900GT 512MB GDDR3 RAM
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Cdrom Model: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Cdrom Model: LITE-ON LTR-52246S
HardDrive Model: Maxtor 160GB Diamondmax Plus - 6Y160P0
MOTÖRHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-06, 02:58 PM   #33
MOTÖRHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01
Eve is IMO a great Sci-Fi based MMORPG. I will admit that it is slow moving, but I find myself thinking about and planning for Eve more than any other game, including Oblivion.
I agree. I'd say about 99% of the fun found in EvE is found via player driven interactions. Be it pirating, Corp wars that last a year or two, trading, bounty hunting on a few occasions, etc... Eve is a game driven by it's community and not the other way around.
Old 06-27-06, 03:02 PM   #34
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTÖRHEAD
Man you are a noob. Warhammer was the inspiration Blizzard drew upon to create the Warcraft series. Where did you think the idea of a maruading horde of bad guys from outer space and Orcs from another planet came from ? Warhammer has a 25+ year rich tradition of lore and WAR.
But Warcraft has nothing to do with space... or other planets... If anything I would say Warcraft took more from LOTR and D&D then Warhammer. Yes, I know Warhammer has a medevil setting aswell but it isn't as popular as the space setting.
Old 06-27-06, 03:11 PM   #35
MOTÖRHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
But Warcraft has nothing to do with space... or other planets... If anything I would say Warcraft took more from LOTR and D&D then Warhammer. Yes, I know Warhammer has a medevil setting aswell but it isn't as popular as the space setting.
Ummm....Outland is on another planet and that is where WoW's Orcs orginally came from. The Burning Legion has conquered planet after planet prior to being lead to Azeroth by the Night Elves and High Elves ( aka...Blood Elves who once looked like Night Elves ). Read the lore of WoW and you'll understand how much Blizzard lifted from Warhammer.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/

Quote:
Once Sargeras saw that his armies were amassed and ready to follow his every command, he launched his raging forces into the vastness of the Great Dark. He referred to his growing army as the Burning Legion. To this date, it is still unclear how many worlds they consumed and burned on their unholy Burning Crusade across the universe.
Old 06-27-06, 03:25 PM   #36
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTÖRHEAD
Ummm....Outland is on another planet and that is where WoW's Orcs orginally came from. The Burning Legion has conquered planet after planet prior to being lead to Azeroth by the Night Elves and High Elves ( aka...Blood Elves who once looked like Night Elves ). Read the lore of WoW and you'll understand how much Blizzard lifted from Warhammer.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/
never cared for the story past Warcraft 2

Hell, I have yet to ever get half way through Warcraft 3...