Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-06, 01:05 AM   #1
davija

Default NForce 590 SLI Raid drivers

I've been trying to get my new board (Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe) setup under linux. However, I seem to be having issues getting the nvidia raid stuff working right. I've got a RAID 5 drive built, but when I boot into linux, it only sees the drives as individual drives, no raid.

Is there something that I'm missing? Is there another driver that enables the raid?
davija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 09:58 AM   #2
davija

Default Re: NForce 590 SLI Raid drivers

I found some further information. On the nvidia kb, they have some info on this: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...i=&p_topview=1

However, I am not very impressed for a couple reasons. First it basically appears to be a software raid solution. What's the point of having a raid card if it's just going to use a driver that uses a software raid solution? Also it apears that it cannot be integrated into the kernel. This means that you cannot boot straight off of the raid.

Well I guess I should have done more research before buying this board. If I had known this ahead of time I probably would not have bought a board with an nvidia chipset.

If anyone from nvidia actually monitors this it please pass it on that the solution that nvidia chose with this is a cop-out. If you are willing to provide drivers for the vista-beta that can boot off of the raid, why can't you provide a quality linux solution?
davija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 08:13 PM   #3
kenyee

Default Re: NForce 590 SLI Raid drivers

You should do more research. Google for "fakeraid" and "dmraid".

Most on-board RAID solutions are "fakeraid" unless you spend upwards of $500 for a server motherboard, and even then a lot of them are "fakeraid". There's a reason real RAID hardware costs at least $300-400 for a card and the good ones are $600 for the card...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote