Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-15-06, 11:04 PM   #1
Bob Smith

Default Suse 10.1 GeForce2 GO Dell Inspiron 2650 Blank Screen

Hello,

I've already posted this in the legacy graphics cards forum, but it was suggested by nemecb that I also post here...

I've been struggling to get the nvidia driver installed for use by a GeForce2 GO card on my Suse 10.1 which is running on a Dell Inspiron 2650. I've attached the 'nvidia-bug-report.log' (zipped) for everyone's reading pleasure. :-) The default Suse-supplied "nv" driver works fine, but my goal is to install the "nvidia" driver so that I have acceleration and can utilize XGL.

I've downloaded and installed the patched 7174 driver as per the instructions from http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA#Legacy_chipset_support, no problem with that install as far as I know. After the installation and after having run 'sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia' I took a look at the xorg.conf and note that the driver is still set at 'nv' I manually change 'nv' to 'nvidia' and either restart X or reboot. Regardless of the restart process, the initial Suse boot screen comes up but before it displays the login screen, the screen goes blank/black and there is nothing that I can other than reboot the PC and restart in failsafe mode so that I can change the driver back to 'nv' so that I can log in again.

After having gone through the forums and trying a number of different things I am at my wits end on what to do next. A couple bits of information that might assist in debugging the problem:

1) Even after I've installed the 7174 driver and go into Yast-Software Management and search for 'nvidia' 3 items show up:
a) tiny-nvidia-installer
b) xorg-x11-driver-video-nvidia
c) xorg-x11-server-glx

Thinking that the default driver is getting in the way, I'm wondering what would happen if I uninstalled these - would doing so create a problem with me be able to ever log in again?

2) I've tried out the Kororaa .2 live CD. Using the XGL provided by that distro, the graphics and XGL are fine on this same laptop, leading me to think that the existing BIOS and video card are capable of using acceleration. When starting up Kororaa, the nvidia logo shows up.

If there are any suggestions that someone has I sure would appreciate it!

Best regards, Bob
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.ZIP (28.3 KB, 177 views)
Bob Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-06, 12:25 PM   #2
tbeckman

Default Re: Suse 10.1 GeForce2 GO Dell Inspiron 2650 Blank Screen

You might want to try updating the BIOS. I have an Inspiron 8000 with a GeForce2Go that would hang the machine with newer nvidia drivers. A BIOS update fixed the problem.
tbeckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-06, 07:21 AM   #3
Bob Smith

Hi,

I had thought about checking into updating the BIOS, but I'm thinking that I don't need to since I can successfuly run xgl on this same laptop when using a Kororaa 0.2 Live CD. Using Kororaa, my laptop graphics are just fine, including the display of the Nvidia splash screen during boot up.

Thanks, Bob
Old 06-29-06, 06:45 PM   #4
Bob Smith

I continue to work on this issue, with the most recent effort using the new 7182 (legacy) driver. Some progress has been made in that I have absolutely no errors (EE lines) in the Xorg.0.log file. But I still have the problem that when I try to start X, the screen goes blank (and I can't get out of that mode) and I have to reboot to get back into the system (sans X).

I've tried several different NvAGP settings in the xorg.conf, but all with the same results.

If anyone has some ideas on what to try next and/or logs that might contain clues, I'd sure appreciate the help!

Thanks.
Old 06-29-06, 06:47 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Did you update the SBIOS as was suggested? If so, then please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log against 1.0-7182.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 07:31 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Hi Lonnie,

Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't done that for quite some time. I've updated the BIOS for my laptop a long time ago. Is that the same as SBIOS? Sorry for the dumb question.

I haven't chased after the BIOS idea since I figured if Kororaa ran the nvidia driver OK on the same laptop, that should indicate that the BIOS is OK. Perhaps that is a bad assumption?

Thanks, Bob
Old 06-29-06, 08:13 PM   #7
Bob Smith

Hi, I just updated the BIOS to the latest version on the Dell site - A13 dated April 2004. Same problem of blank locking screen. When running the bug report script, will there be sufficient diagnostics in the output if I run this prior to trying to start X? I'll give it a shot...
Old 06-29-06, 08:55 PM   #8
Bob Smith

Hi, I've posted the nvidia-bug-report.log. Briefly scanning it I noticed the line showing ????? for video bios. This can't be so good can it? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (91.6 KB, 168 views)

Old 06-29-06, 09:11 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, the BIOS is the same as the SBIOS.

The VBIOS will show ??? unless X is running with the nvidia X driver.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 06-29-06, 09:37 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

It looks like X is hanging loading the glx module. Since you've stated that the driver works in a different distribution, this leads me to believe that something specific about SuSE is causing this problem. Are you installing the official NVIDIA driver package from nvidia.com, or using something that SuSE provides?

-Lonni
Old 06-29-06, 09:54 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Thanks Lonni for the VBIOS info. I'm using the new 7182 (legacy) driver that I've downloaded from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72481 .
Old 07-09-06, 08:54 AM   #12
Bob Smith

Hi,

I finally have the nvidia driver working on my Inspiron with a GeForce2 GO card, allowing me to run XGL on my Suse 10.1!

Although I don't think it was needed (Kororra live cd worked fine), I updated my bios to A13 using the driver from the Dell web site. One less variable to deal with!

I followed the "cookbook" at http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17174.html as an overall guide. Now a few details including the solution...

I downloaded the legacy NVidia kernel driver 7182 from http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp.

Installed the driver using: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7182-pkg1.run -q

I got the standard message about using sax to adjust your xorg.conf file. We'll do this in a bit, but first edit the nvidia file in /etc/modprobe.d. From tobyb's post on the nvnews forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72897), and also within Appendix K of the Nvidia 'readme_NVIDIA_Install.txt' which is the README link on the driver download page, e.g., http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...DME/readme.txt /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia should be modified to look like:

options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=33 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660 NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1

Note that NVreg_Mobile can be set to a value 0 through 5.

THE solution for me to get the driver to work came from tobyb's comments at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72897 where it was indicated that the xorg.conf was built by sax2. That comment made me realize that I should try again my previous steps, but this time FIRST remove/rename the existing xorg.conf, then use sax2 to rebuild it. Once I did that, the nvidia driver started working. Previous to this, I had an xorg.conf in place. Apparently sax2 ingests the existing xorg.conf and messes something up somewhere.

Now run sax2: sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia

When sax2 is finishing up, it generally ends by stopping with a message, "sax: startup" but the keyboard is not functioning and the machine appears locked. I reboot with ctl-alt-del and boot back to text mode to make a few final manual tweaks to the xorg.conf as outlined in the "cookbook" referenced above.

Now a few comments about XGL on my Suse 10.1 running KDE:

-It's cool!

-As I've read somewhere, XGL is stil pretty new and has some issues. I think I found some.

-Can't use desktop icon (minimizing all windows), even though I have multiple desktops there is only one desktop icon on the taskbar

-The start button is slow in coming up, and the sub-menus appear behind the main menu rather than on top

-Can't set up backgrounds for multiple windows

-There are some graphical artifacts, e.g., opening a text editor such as Kate there is a bit of black that flashes briefly before I can see the text.

-Overall performance on the desktop is degraded compared to non-XGL/Compiz. However, I only have 256mb so I expect some issues!

-Looking through various posts and working with XGL, it appears that Gnome has less issues than KDE when it comes to XGL, almost appears as if that's the preferred platform, at least for Suse. But I have KDE and proceeded. To configure some XGL settings I used 'gnome-xgl-settings' from the command line, even in my KDE, but that's what I read that I should do. Not all of the options in that configuration tool seem to work. Maybe they would if I was using Gnome.

-Logout/shutdown option doesn't always work, the dialog doesn't always appear.

-There are weird graphic artifacts, sometimes, during shutdown

-ZDM (Zen updater) stopped working, I get the message during startup about ZDM is not running. But the new updater in 10.1 is very flaky anyway, not sure if my work pushed it over the edge. It might have stopped working all by itself). ZDM was running for a while even after XGL was running, it just stopped shortly thereafter.

Enjoy and good luck!

Bob