Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Is Winamp3 yer new default media player?
O course, I've been using it since the beta! 3 6.25%
Just got the official version, lovin' it! 8 16.67%
It's purdy, but a ram hog 14 29.17%
I'm going back to winamp2... 16 33.33%
win-what? 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-02, 12:29 PM   #1
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|
Default Winamp3 do you like it?

The fully skinnable interface is sweet, and I've d/led some sweet skins but it just takes up far too much ram. No matter how large or small the skin I run, its still taking @ least 15meg of virtual ram during playback, the response is also very sluggish. For right now I think I'm gonna stick w/ QCD3 since I can still use sweet skins and my winamp playlists w/o the ram hog. (only 3-5meg)
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 01:06 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Winamp3 do you like it?

Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceZ
For right now I think I'm gonna stick w/ QCD3 since I can still use sweet skins and my winamp playlists w/o the ram hog. (only 3-5meg)
QCD3? Never heard of it, but if you could provide a download link, that'd be sweet.

I'm using WA3 for now. I do agree that it's a memory hog, but the media library is a really awesome feature. Also, the video player is really good - it gives me a reason not to use Winblows Media Player.

Only big thing I miss about WA3 from 2.xx is the ability to completely buffer songs into memory instead of having the program thrash my HD during playback.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 02:03 PM   #3
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

O yea I forgot about the *official* video playback capability, although I've been using a plugin for the previous vers thats worked great. I do like the ability use multiple play lists though.

Sat you can checkout QCD3 here
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 02:06 PM   #4
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

I used WinAmp about 2yrs ago, didn't really like it then...then I tried Sonique, and I really like that. Then I went to WinXP, and it didn't work as well as it should, so I've just been using WMP, but the .mp3 audio quality sux at mid-to-high volume, I was kinda waiting for the new Sonique2, but that's been delayed like a year now...
Old 08-14-02, 02:15 PM   #5
saturnotaku

I downloaded QCD 3 and I'm really starting to like it. One thing - is there an option to buffer mp3 songs to memory during playback like you can with WA 2.x? I really liked that feature and couldn't find that option anywhere in QCD.

Other than that, this program looks like it's going to be a winner.
Old 08-14-02, 02:20 PM   #6
saturnotaku

Juice or anyone - where could I download the video playing plug-in for QCD? I'd like to use anything but WMP to play my vid files.
Old 08-14-02, 06:20 PM   #7
The Baron

QCD's Dead Sexy, the playlist menu (whatever you want to call it) that I have set to come up when I middle-click the tray icon is badass.. :P

But, I have to say, I do like Winamp's Media Library stuff... I dunno, it's a tossup (512 megs means RAM hogs don't really bother me )...
Old 08-14-02, 08:02 PM   #8
monkeydust

It works for me. I really don't care about all of those features that they try to cram into it though. I didn't install alot of them because I just want to use it to play my MP3's. I'll use other players for playing other types of media. It starts up a little bit slower than WA2, but it's not too bad. The skins are quite a bit more interesting than what was available with WA2 (I'm using this one - http://www.winamp.com/skins/detail.jhtml;$sessionid$VEVAN3NYVWYNW5YAAAARCZQ?componentId=118 112 ).

I tried some of the betas while they were developing it but I didn't like them because it took them awhile to get enqueing working (which I use all of the time). I have a gig of ram so I really don't care that it uses more memory than the old one. But, it plays my MP3's well and that's all I really care about.
eVGA 8800 GTS 620/1000
2 x 300gb Maxtor Maxline III SATA2 HD
Creative X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
Lian-Li v1200 w/OCZ Powerstream 600w PSU
Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD
3DMark06 - 8553
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-02, 10:17 PM   #9
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
I used WinAmp about 2yrs ago, didn't really like it then...then I tried Sonique, and I really like that. Then I went to WinXP, and it didn't work as well as it should, so I've just been using WMP, but the .mp3 audio quality sux at mid-to-high volume, I was kinda waiting for the new Sonique2, but that's been delayed like a year now...
eww WMP. it can't even play VBR files back properly
*note: VBR is part of the MP3 specification too. shame on you Microshaft.
Old 08-14-02, 10:42 PM   #10
netviper13
Treehugger

I tried Winamp3 and it has some very cool features, but things just took a long time to load. For instance most of the music I listen to comes from streaming radio stations, it takes about twice the time to connect with 3 as it did with 2. One thing that I sorta like is the fading effect when transitioning songs, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for me.

Thus, I am going back to 2.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-02, 12:50 AM   #11
StealthHawk

the fading effect does seem to be kind cool, but i don't like how you can't skip tracks without it being active

maybe there's some kind of option to configure it so it only is in use when the tracks switch automatically(when a song is finished playing)
Old 08-15-02, 12:56 AM   #12
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
I tried Winamp3 and it has some very cool features, but things just took a long time to load. For instance most of the music I listen to comes from streaming radio stations, it takes about twice the time to connect with 3 as it did with 2. One thing that I sorta like is the fading effect when transitioning songs, but the disadvantages outweigh the advantages for me.

Thus, I am going back to 2.
Get winamp 2.8 and you get the fade effect

"Crossfading DS output"
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote