Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-21-06, 06:15 PM   #25
dnewhous

Default Re: Best MMORPG for me?

I am experienced enough to know when a thread is drifting off course and I don't want an argument over the merits of WoW.
dnewhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 06:19 PM   #26
killahsin

if your looking bard specific i would also recommend everquest 2. The game has gotten alot better then it initially was and its community is fairly large. If not for wow and lineage 2 it would be the largest mmo out there. (outside of lineage 1 of course). not to mention they keep pushing out expansion packs. Which means constant new content. Somthing most mmo developers have missed. And one of the merits and strong points of SOE. Yet they have only really done it with their everquest line. Expansion packs could have saved alot of games they run. So basing it off of bard and longesvity i would have to recommend everquest 2.
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 06:33 PM   #27
dnewhous

I have heard different things about the solo play on EQ2. Someone at Amazon said you have to party up to go on level increasing quests? Maybe someone can clarify.

Does EQ2 have the "role playing" or the "Thunderhammer" server for EQ2? I had a co-worker once who played EQ1 and he always played on the role playing server which is apparently where all the grown ups went to play. It was somewhat dubious whether it would continue because it was so unpopulated it barely broke even for Verant to maintain it. What really screwed things up is when they introduced the "thunderhammer" server, which cost twice as much per month but had a lot more treasure on it. The problem is that you could transfer an already existing character to Thunderhammer and back again, and all these munchkins started showing up on the role playing server which destroyed the integrity of the game.
Old 06-23-06, 05:55 AM   #28
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

If you like tradeskilling, give Anarchy Online a go - http://www.anarchy-online.com/

Loads of stuff to make; Armour, Weapons, Nanocrystals, Implants, etc

No bards, I'm afraid, as it is a Sci-Fi based game, but there are dragons (well, normally called Pit Lizards)

Give the free account a go. You might be happy with just that, or you could subscribe for the expansions to get new areas to go, new items, new tradeskill opportunities, etc

Cambo
(lvl 158 Adventurer, generally in Borealis)
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 06:06 AM   #29
dnewhous

Yes, I was wondering if there were a good sci-fi MMORPG. Obviously a bard wouldn't fit.
Old 06-23-06, 06:09 AM   #30
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewhous
I have heard different things about the solo play on EQ2. Someone at Amazon said you have to party up to go on level increasing quests? Maybe someone can clarify.

Does EQ2 have the "role playing" or the "Thunderhammer" server for EQ2? I had a co-worker once who played EQ1 and he always played on the role playing server which is apparently where all the grown ups went to play. It was somewhat dubious whether it would continue because it was so unpopulated it barely broke even for Verant to maintain it. What really screwed things up is when they introduced the "thunderhammer" server, which cost twice as much per month but had a lot more treasure on it. The problem is that you could transfer an already existing character to Thunderhammer and back again, and all these munchkins started showing up on the role playing server which destroyed the integrity of the game.
Actually when you transfered to the Premium server on EQ Live you couldn't return with the unique items, they were stripped from you. I even think they stripped you of all droppable equipment on the transfer aswell (so you wouldn't ruin the economy).

But yes, EQ2 does have multiple Role-Play servers aswell as Player-vs-Player servers. While I don't know how far you can get by soloing, I know its possible to get to the 30s. It might take alot longer but its possible (you get XP bonus for grouping and the ability to take down higher end mobs offers better rewards), they don't restrict it (Just don't think you can take things that are 3+ levels higher then you). Thing is NO MMO should allow a player to go from 1 to 60 in my opinion, the point of playing a MMO is to actually interact with people, thats a fact if it wasn't then there would be no reason to make it online. MMOs are about community.
Old 06-24-06, 10:53 AM   #31
StoNer
Ubër Baked

Quote:

FFXI - can bards make their own instruments? Collect raw materials to make them?
Well FFXI uses a job system. You get a Job and a Subjob. You can be one race and have every job in the game on that one character.

So like your character could be a 75bard but also be a 75 of any other job (theres like 18 of them available)

Bards can make their own instruments in some cases, but its not because theyre a bard. It would be because they are a crafter that uses a craft that can make instruments at some point in time. I think woodworking and bonecrafters can make them.

The game is complex. People have to execute skillchains with weapon skills they develop as they train in that weapon enough. The skill chains will show cool effects and do damage on top of what the party already is dishing out.

The bard is pretty much a buffer class and a monster controlling class (they use Foe Lullaby alot to sleep a 2nd monster while the group kills the first)

FFXI is a good game and i reccomend you try it out, the graphics are a little dated of course but this is probably the only game that i look past graphics and enjoy the awesome storyline that plays out thru the missions/quests and the great gameplay experiences.

Yes theres noobs in FFXI, a great amount of the population is mature smart helpful people tho.

So yea if you dont mind a game with lower emphasis on pvp (its in there but nobody really likes standing there slashing eachother over and over again) And instead a higher emphasis on pve and pve encounters such as the new besieged mode where pretty much the usefullness of the new city depends on how good you and other players are at keeping the NPCs alive from monster raids.

Then this could be the game for you.

:Edit: Btw if you join up go on Alexander server. And PM me for a worldpass if you cant find one online. (you need it to get on a server you choose)

Alexander because the economy is great compared to other servers hit harder by chinafarmers.

I switched over from Garuda because i lost my playonline info anyway. (Make sure you store it in a safe spot because its important *dont be like the stoner* :P)
[Display Dell S2309W 23", Samsung 933HD+ 18.5" on NeoFlex LCD Arms]

[Now Playing Star Wars The Old Republic, Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Super Street Fighter IV AE, DayZ]
StoNer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 03:04 AM   #32
dnewhous

How are bards in Everquest 2? I've been looking at Vanguard and I don't like their concept of a bard. I am leaning towards FFXI.

Here's some criticism of Everquest 2 from Amazon

"I was a long-time player of EQ1 -- playing since beta4. I loved the feeling of openness that EQ1 gave you, the feeling that you were in a world and could do whatever you wanted. Groups were a choice, not a requirement. Zones were scary and huge, but most had something to do at any level. You could buff someone as you ran by, or give 100p to a monster, shout it out to the zone, and watch the lowlevels swing into action to hunt that mob down before it despawned. The game was only limited by your imagination.

EQ2 doesn't deliver that same openness. Instead, you are railroaded into a series of zones and quests, and a single playstyle. It's like they took any chance for you, the player, to operate outside the planned experience that the developers had in mind for you.

Not to my liking at all. It lasted 2 months before I deleted it from my system. Compare that to 7+ years for playing EQ1. "

This may have been a very early version the reviewer was referring to. Anyone care to refute that persons point of view? This is a sensitive issue to me because I feel Baldur's Gate II was a step down from the original and that Oblivion is a step down from Morrowind for similar reasons pointed out above. A feeling of freedom is important to me.

Last edited by dnewhous; 07-05-06 at 05:49 PM.

Old 07-05-06, 06:43 PM   #33
StoNer
Ubër Baked

EQ2 is one of those games you have to experience to know if you like it or not.

It's true alot of people didnt like it for various reasons. Gameplay or maybe their system didnt scale well with it and it ran crappy.

Almost everyone I know who played that game bragged to me about how awesome it was when they first played, and then quit eventually.

As for bards ill ask some friends but I really have no clue about how fun/good they are in EQ2

[Now Playing Star Wars The Old Republic, Tribes Ascend, League of Legends, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Super Street Fighter IV AE, DayZ]
Old 07-07-06, 12:34 AM   #34
dnewhous

Do weapons and armor have hit points in FFXI?
Old 07-07-06, 11:46 PM   #35
StoNer
Ubër Baked

Quote:
Do weapons and armor have hit points in FFXI?
Do you mean like do they degrade to the point of where you have to repair them?

If so, no they don't. And most of them arent "soulbound" to you (called EX in ffxi)

So you could spend your whole bank on an item and as long as the economy doesnt make the item less expensive or something, you can sell the item back later and make your money back.

Old 08-09-06, 06:45 PM   #36
MOTÖRHEAD

You can solo in EQ2. In fact with the recent changes every class can solo though some better then others. I doubt you could effectively level and solo in FXII. Also the crafting system has been refined to become less tedious so no sub-componets grind to deal with but crafted items are still desired.
MotherBoard: Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra
Memory: 2 Gigs RAM
Video Card: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 7900GT 512MB GDDR3 RAM
Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 Platinum
Cdrom Model: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B
Cdrom Model: LITE-ON LTR-52246S
HardDrive Model: Maxtor 160GB Diamondmax Plus - 6Y160P0
MOTÖRHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote