Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-03, 04:03 PM   #1
creedamd

Default 3dmark2k3 damage control for GFFX

Who wants to bet that the GFFX will kick the 9700 in the new 3dmark! This will be unbelievable if it does! Discuss!!!
creedamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 04:25 PM   #2
Retrofire

Default Hmmm...

I'm no engineer, but my thought is that the 128-bit memory bus will be as much a limiting factor in 3DMark2003 as it is in everything else.

The frustrating thing to me is that the GeForce FX is a technology spectacular hampered by comparatively poor memory bandwidth.

I have no doubt that in terms of raw processing power and capability, the GeForce FX will have no equal. At the same time, you can put a Ferrari engine in a Yugo and...Still have a Yugo.

ATi definately did an excellent job anticipating where the market was heading and putting a chip of less power out and designing a better method of feeding it.

Unfortunately GFX is trying to suck a golfball through a garden hose...And predictably looks like it will just end up sucking.

I'm still very anxious to see non-jaded real-world user reviews on the GFX though.
Retrofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 04:29 PM   #3
undercover

Lets have a sweepstake

I pick the GFFX to beat the 9700 in 3dM2003 by 25% overall at 1280x1024
undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 05:21 PM   #4
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Rumours are the retail version of the card will be much quiter fan wise, and I bet the drivers improve considerably.

What the chances that nvidia unveil "free" AA with newer drivers on the hardware at some point?! Now that would be impressive. I still think GF-fx's AA quality is fine. The ppl slating it seem to have no understanding of equal comparisons, and seem to be completley blind to me.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 05:22 PM   #5
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

hmm i say 10% if its any more then theres serious foul play going on
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 05:45 PM   #6
ASCI Blue

Send a message via AIM to ASCI Blue Send a message via Yahoo to ASCI Blue

25% might be right 3dmark was designed to make nv cards look good.

Sick of war crimes Windows? Try linux!
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 06:10 PM   #7
undercover

Quote:
Originally posted by ASCI Blue
25% might be right 3dmark was designed to make nv cards look good.
I'm sure Futuremark have no loyalties either way
Old 02-06-03, 06:29 PM   #8
gokickrocks

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
Rumours are the retail version of the card will be much quiter fan wise, and I bet the drivers improve considerably.

What the chances that nvidia unveil "free" AA with newer drivers on the hardware at some point?! Now that would be impressive. I still think GF-fx's AA quality is fine. The ppl slating it seem to have no understanding of equal comparisons, and seem to be completley blind to me.
rumours of drivers improving is stating the obvious, all video cards have a chance to improve through drivers because they are never 100% efficient

chances of "free" AA - 0%

i would have to disagree on your last statement, but wont go off explaining why

Old 02-06-03, 06:41 PM   #9
undercover

Quote:
Originally posted by gokickrocks
rumours of drivers improving is stating the obvious, all video cards have a chance to improve through drivers because they are never 100% efficient
From what JC said in reply to Reverends questions it sounds like the GFFX has a very flexible architecture that requires carefull use by the drivers to make the most of it. Reading between the lines I'd say the GFFX has, by it's very nature, much more room for performance gain via the drivers. I guess the Nvidia engineers will be looking at each game and app and determine where the bottlenecks are and how the drivers can push the hardware harder...

Only time will tell
Old 02-06-03, 07:46 PM   #10
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty

Good to see someone with the same thinking as me. No one has said anything about Nvidias 4xs FSSA, and from what we have see so far, it looks better than 6x2 and 8xs, so thats obvious there are driver problems there.

I think the GF-FX will do well, but lets not forget, 3dmark will push todays cards, remember 3dmark2001 and the GF3/8500 and now look at it with the 9700/GF-FX. Still I cant wait to see what Im missing out on by not having a 9700 or GF-FX
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-03, 10:44 PM   #11
Spliffstarr

either ways considering that it will be out in the begining of next week we will not have to wait very much longer to see how the two chips will perform..
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtrememusic
Zalman Resarator plus (cooling vid cards and cpu @ 40c)
Athlon+@2.9 34c Idle 47c Load
ASUS A8N32 sli DELUXE
CORSAIR TWINX2048-3700
http://bf2.gamedrome.com/account/banner/bf2/9891.jpg
President Bush Hates Black People...
Spliffstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-03, 05:01 AM   #12
nagus

what I've read was, that GF FX is actually significant SLOWER in 3dMark 2003 than radeon 9700pro...

... according to a german games-Magazin (GameStar)
nagus is offline   Reply With Quote