Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-03, 08:30 AM   #13
SamuraiCatJB

I say, by product launch that nVidia will tweak the drivers to bench just above the 9700 Pro... I would say by 5%, but not more than 10%.... However, one has to remember that the R350 is scheduled for release shortly thereafter which will again top the FX (I expect).

I am actually hoping for a bandwidth/speed war. I think it is great that nVidia has competition with ATI and vice/versa. We can expect a slew of cards trying to top each other every 6 months (though some news reports say this may be shortened to 4 for a while -- that could prove interesting).
SamuraiCatJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-03, 09:35 AM   #14
The_KELRaTH

Heh.. if you believe anything from the Inquirer there won't be an NV30 at this rate. 1st they said only 100,000 would be produced and now it's dropped to 10,000!!
By launch day the only sales could be just the review cards

Inquirer 7th Feb
The_KELRaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-03, 10:27 AM   #15
digitalwanderer

Wink Don't count ATI out of it yet!

I don't think ATI is gonna give up to nVidia on this one without a fight, their latest drivers that will be available soon (cat3.1, probably released the same day as 3dm2k3. ) have some increased D3D performance...and it wouldn't shock me at all if'n it happened to run better on 3dm2k3 than the last set.

ATI ain't gonna give nVidia a damned inch, they're gonna make nVidia earn each and every win from here on out!

It's a different ballgame today, and I betcha the futuremark crew knows it too.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-03, 11:48 AM   #16
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

Default Re: 3dmark2k3 damage control for GFFX

Quote:
Originally posted by creedamd
Who wants to bet that the GFFX will kick the 9700 in the new 3dmark! This will be unbelievable if it does! Discuss!!!
I doubt it. If anything it'll beat a R9700Pro stock speed by a whole 100 to 1000 points And a overclocked R9700Pro... wooo baby watch out
Old 02-07-03, 12:25 PM   #17
ricercar
fugue master

Quote:
Originally posted by undercover
I'm sure Futuremark have no loyalties either way
FutureMark accepts "donations" from companies and listens to their "recommendations" for future benchmarking tests. Unfortunately, accepting such donations likely creates less indifference than say Consumer Reports, who refuse to accept any money from any company.

A demo developer I work with claimed that ATI made such a donation to ensure that the technologies in Radeon 9700Pro would be important to 3DMark 2003 benchmarks. While this doesn't mean the GeForce FX will perform poorly, I'll be looking to see whether the difference between GeForce FX and R9700Pro was larger in 3DMark 2003 than in 3DMark2001.
Old 02-07-03, 10:51 PM   #18
Hellbinder

Quote:
Who wants to bet that the GFFX will kick the 9700 in the new 3dmark! This will be unbelievable if it does! Discuss!!!
Well being that the GFFX ultra just got canned.. good luck on this one. Although there will no doubt be a few peeps out there with the board that can try to overclock the hell out of it. But well see...

To bad the R350 is about to launch and whoup some serious GFFX non ultra ass... but that sthe wat these things go some times.. You guys can get some nice revenge 3dmarking this summer with the Nv35.
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 07:17 AM   #19
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Well being that the GFFX ultra just got canned.. good luck on this one. Although there will no doubt be a few peeps out there with the board that can try to overclock the hell out of it. But well see...

To bad the R350 is about to launch and whoup some serious GFFX non ultra ass... but that sthe wat these things go some times.. You guys can get some nice revenge 3dmarking this summer with the Nv35.
You really thing the GF-FX Ultra is canned? As far as I know, the chips are already being produced, so if they are not going to release the Ultra I guess those chips will go to the non Ultra. Now if Nvidia doesnt have a high end card, I'll bet that they will be bringing the NV35 out sooner

BTW the R350 hasnt been announced yet, so we dont really know how far away it is!
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 09:05 AM   #20
creedamd

why wouldn't they can it? I would, I have seen a total of probably 25 people say that they would buy the gffx and half of probably don't have the money to go to the movies. Smart move by nvidia, let the graphics world ride for a while and concentrate on mobos.
creedamd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-03, 04:18 PM   #21
sebazve

i doubt the nv30 will be faster than r300. Hhahahaha turn on AF and AA and it will smoke the nv30
Old 02-08-03, 04:51 PM   #22
ChrisW
"I was wrong", said Chris

Default Re: 3dmark2k3 damage control for GFFX

Quote:
Originally posted by creedamd
You may be right. It all depends on what percent of the score they decide to give to each test. Remember the big boost to 3DMark scores because of the score assigned to the pixel shader test? All they have to do is assign a larger percentage of the final score to the fillrate test and the GFFX will win.
ChrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 05:29 PM   #23
Steppy
Radeon 10K Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
You really thing the GF-FX Ultra is canned? As far as I know, the chips are already being produced, so if they are not going to release the Ultra I guess those chips will go to the non Ultra. Now if Nvidia doesnt have a high end card, I'll bet that they will be bringing the NV35 out sooner

BTW the R350 hasnt been announced yet, so we dont really know how far away it is!
And now you have a whole slew of benchmarks to see what you're scores will be if you can clock 100Mhz over stock on the core and memory of a normal FX.

Not directed at you, but at tons of posters. Why do people assume Nvidia will be able to move up the launch of a core by 4 months without a problem? If it was that easy to do, more companies would just simply bring their stuff out sooner. Think about it logically, they started development on this thing likely with a 128-bit memory controller(looking at Nv's comments on the 256-bit memory over the past 6 months make me tend to think that NV30's successor was likely still a 128-bit like Nv30) and it's target release was Fall(likely Oct going by previous Nv fall releases). Now at some point they realized it needed a 256-bit interface to compete with R300 and went and changed it(from all rumors it seems likely to sport a 256-bit bus). Now changing it mid stream and still releasing it on time would take quite a bit of any "lead time" they had (ie time waiting to release new core while the old one is taking in the high end profits). So adding the month or two of chaging the memory controller and adding it to the 4 month moveup of the launch would point me to believe that NV theorhetically could release it 6 months before they planned to. Doesn't seem likely to me as they've seen what R300 brought to the table for 6 months. Another thing, Nv30 and Nv35 have been in the making for a long time...they had certain target performance planned(forget about the 9700 for a moment). Going by past NVx5 cores, they improved performance by 20% -30%. Why do people think that they had plans for more than that with NV35? The high end of their line usually is not too far off from its clocking limit so it would remain to be seen how much higher they'd be able to clock the GFFX equivilent of the4600. Plus they're trying to do all this at TWICE the pace(ie half the time)between generations. In other words, I'll believe it when I see it, and a lot of you are setting yourselves up for the same dissapointment as the FX left.
Old 02-08-03, 05:30 PM   #24
SamuraiCatJB

Default Re: Re: 3dmark2k3 damage control for GFFX

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
You may be right. It all depends on what percent of the score they decide to give to each test. Remember the big boost to 3DMark scores because of the score assigned to the pixel shader test? All they have to do is assign a larger percentage of the final score to the fillrate test and the GFFX will win.
or tests that use specific math in the shaders that is known to work better on the FX.... there are lots of ways he could leverage the data towards the FX... I hope he doesn't though.
SamuraiCatJB is offline   Reply With Quote