Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-06, 09:00 AM   #1
RekkaAuto

Default NVIDIA-linux tv-out picture positioning

Hi

My tv-out picture is not centered so i was just wondering if there is a way to move tv-out picture horizontaly and verticaly. I'm able to zoom tv-out in and out with TVOverscan option, but i haven't found any way to move picture with nvidia drivers.
In windows tv-out pic is fully movable so maby there is a way to do it with in linux too.

I have Dapper 6.06 and nvidia lates drivers installed.
Current xorg tv-out configuration looks like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6600 GT]"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "true"
Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "TwinView" "true"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT,TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
#Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1024x768;1280x960,1024x768;1024x768 ,102 4x768"
Option "TVOverScan" "0.5"
EndSection
RekkaAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 04:21 AM   #2
zooounds

Default Re: NVIDIA-linux tv-out picture positioning

I have the same problem. So your solution is my solution.
zooounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 04:35 AM   #3
zooounds

Couldn't anyone from Nvidia at least comment this issue sand say something like "Ok, do like this" or "Sorry, we don't care about the quality of the linux driver"
zooounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 05:48 AM   #4
Dragoran

I have no idea if this works but can you try xvidtune on your TV (for moving the picture)
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 02:30 AM   #5
RekkaAuto

Xvidtune didin't work, it gave wrong modeline or something warning. Have anyone tried with new drivers if there is a option to control tvout postion. (i guess no)
RekkaAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 12:31 PM   #6
kokoko3k

it is possible
how ?

there's no way to do it
will be ?
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 12:58 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're using actual TV-Out, then the modes are predefined based on the TV-encoder on your graphics card. In other words, you will not be able to tweak or adjust the mode. However, most TV's should provide a mechanism for adjusting the picture that is displayed.

The only picture size adjustment that is possible is via TV-Overscan. See the driver README and/or nvidia-settings.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 01:37 PM   #8
pe1chl

Of course I can't look into other people's pockets, but I would say: when you care about TV picture quality, avoid TV-out and instead get a TV that has VGA/DVI-in.

The TV-out on PC cards, and the NVIDIA Linux driver implementation, has many limitations. You will get a virtual PC screen which is scaled to TV standards by the TV-out chip. This inevitably means quality loss.
Using Composite or S-Video makes it even worse. (RGB or Component could be acceptable).

With a TV with VGA/DVI input you at least can have some hopes that the quality will be decent and you can control the actual screen parameters with a modeline.

Note that even this will not guarantee a 1:1 pixel mapping between PC screen and the TV. Many TVs do not support input modes (even on their VGA/DVI input) that get mapped 1:1 to the often unusual resolution of the display panel. Apparently plug-and-play Windows capability is valued more than perfect results.

When you care about this, it is worthwile to doublecheck it on some video enthousiasts forum, as the manufacturers specs are often unclear and sometimes outright wrong.

Of course all of this does not apply when you just want to get a picture on your 15 year old TV and don't mind imperfections. But when you want to setup a modern home theatre using an LCD or Plasma TV or consider to use the TV as a PC screen it is better to study this matter a bit.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-07, 05:46 PM   #9
PenGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
Of course I can't look into other people's pockets, but I would say: when you care about TV picture quality, avoid TV-out and instead get a TV that has VGA/DVI-in.

The TV-out on PC cards, and the NVIDIA Linux driver implementation, has many limitations. You will get a virtual PC screen which is scaled to TV standards by the TV-out chip. This inevitably means quality loss.
Not at all. It's been tested all over and it's really a wash for quality. I run my Sony 34XS955 at 1080i with a component connector for video, res is a wash and I think colour may be slightly nicer with component. Now I am extrapolating from TVOut and DVI at 720p as I have never got my TV up in 1080i with DVI with the Nvidia drivers

Now I have a CRT so that may be a lot of the reason component drives my TV so nicely. Analog all the way ... nice.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-07, 01:25 PM   #10
kokoko3k

@pe1chl:

Is not a matter of 'quality', we would like to have a centered picture on our '15 years old' TV,
yes, we could overscan it, but we will be glad to see the whole image with no borders, and not only a part.

Just like on the windows side.
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 02:53 PM   #11
mbourgon

Lonni, I'm having the same problem as RekkaAuto - I need to shift the picture to the left, on my 10-year-old TV. Everything else shows up fine, but S-Video from the TV-Out winds up with 2 inches of black space on the left, and with the picture cut off on the right. Adjusting my TV makes no sense - everything else shows up correctly. If I did get the TV adjusted so that the TV-out showed up correctly, then I'd lose the left 2 inches on everything else.

How can we get this looked at further?
mbourgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-07, 01:06 PM   #12
pepsi_max2k

looking on info for this kinda thing myself. having XP installed helps figure out what's possible - i can get a perfectly good image @ 720x586i using composite and both enlarge / decrease size (overscan) and change the placement of the image (shift it left / right / up / down) with nvidia's windows drivers. checking the advanced timing section in the screen res & refresh rates gave me all the numbers needed to create a modeline from http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/f...2rgb/calc.html (step 2).

if this place http://ftp.utcluj.ro/pub/docs/how-to...ow-to/Modeline is to be believed, then changing the 4th/5th and 8th/9th values in the modeline should be enough to move the image about on screen ala window's driver gui.

not that i know whether it all works in practice though.
pepsi_max2k is offline   Reply With Quote