Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-24-06, 02:06 PM   #1
RRaider95

Default Problems w/ GeForce 6600 on OpenSuse 10.0

I've been trying for months to get a TwinView setup working under Linux. I started with GeForce 5500MX under Fedora 3/4, and would end up with intermittent freezing using the "nvidia" driver. I finally ended up purchasing a second video card so I could get the dual-head effect.

I have now decided to try again, this time purchasing a GeForce 6600 to run under OpenSuse 10.0. I got TwinView up and running, and it looks *great* with the "nvidia" driver, but it keeps on freezing after anywhere from 5 to 120 minutes. I normally fix these things on my own, but now am forced to ask for help. I've tried everything mentioned in the other threads, but am at a dead end.

Attached is my nvidia-bug-report.log that has been gzipped.

Many thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (24.3 KB, 130 views)
RRaider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 02:16 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Problems w/ GeForce 6600 on OpenSuse 10.0

Which things have you tried that were mentioned in other threads?

Have you tested with a more recent kernel?
You have alot of IRQ sharing going on (SATA, USB eth0 & nvidia are all sharing IRQ10). Can you adjust this in the BIOS?
Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS?
Have you tried setting NvAGP to 0 in xorg.conf ?
Have you tried booting with the noapic and/or acpi=off kernel parameters?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 03:43 PM   #3
RRaider95

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot change the IRQs for anything in my BIOS. I could upgrade to a slightly newer motherboard BIOS, but I would need Windoze XP on the box. The only thing fixed, according to the release notes, is the boot splashscreen.

I have tried with a newer kernel in the past. Is there a possibility that kernel > 2.16.13-15.10 could magically fix things?

I have tried both noapic and acpi=off before, and reaffirmed that a few minutes ago there is no change with them set.

NvAGP set to 0 causes the X server to hang immediately.

I have also set the AGP rate down to 4x, per my mobo specs.

Still no dice.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-24-06, 05:18 PM   #4
BashfulTux

You do not need Win XP to flash a BIOS. Surely you have a friend with windows that can make you a boot floppy that you can put the .bin and flash .exe on to boot with it then run the flash program, it is really the only proper way to do it anyways. If you do it don't forget to clear the cmos after flashing then load and save the failsafe values then reboot again to make any needed changes to the configuration.
BashfulTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 06:22 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I doubt that all of the BIOS changes are documented on the website. Typically hundreds of bugs are fixed in a BIOS update, and only the highlights are posted in the Changelog.

If setting NvAGP to 0 causes the X server to hang immediately, then it seems like something is definitely not right with the system. That change should only have disabled AGP support, so if its introducing more instability, then the system seems to have other issues.

I can't say with any certainty whether a newer kernel will help, however 2.6.13 is relatively old now, so if this is a kernel bug that you're hitting, there's a decent chance that its fixed along with the way to 2.6.17.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-06, 07:26 PM   #6
RRaider95

:Unfortunately, the only BIOS updater available for my mobo (a7v8x-la, made specially for Compaq) is a windows executable that won't run in dos mode:

http://http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewf...tem=pv-18278-3

Compaq sucks!