Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-03, 07:19 PM   #13
silentdragon48

Quote:
Originally posted by junkieclown
[b]Here's a couple of things:

can you modprobe the nvidia module into the kernel?
lsmod first to see if nvidia is loaded. If not try to load it:
modprobe nvidia
wasn't loaded, with modprobe it loads just fine
Quote:
Make sure the fontserver is running - and use chkconfig to have it started on boot. ::

service xfs restart
chkconfig --level 35 xfs on
Font server was not running
--will change that on next boot

Quote:
Now about the monitor section: you didn't say whether you found the manual to the monitor. Did you ?
Yup, have the monitor manual, that is where those values came from.

Quote:
Now the mouse. This looks like it could be a problem that might produce the "FIle not found " error you see in your console.

Is your mouse USB and hooked up to a usb port?
Is it an Intellimouse?
my mouse is a USB mouse, it is a 5 button trackball with a scroll wheel. Kensiko brand if that helps (some cheapo jobby I picked up for $20 at Staples)

Quote:
or to create a symbolic link in /dev to that existing device file.
eg: ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/usbmouse
and then keep the reference to usbmouse in the X config file.
will do

[quotep
Once you're done changing /etc/X11/XF86Config , copy it over /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
[/quote]
I personally doubt this will affect anything, based on the documentation that I have for my release of Linux, but I could be wrong. The basic Xserver info says it looks for XF86Config first, the reason for XF86Config-4 was for some compatability issues on systems running older versions of Xserver

I'll make the changes to the system and see what happens
Thanks,
~SD48
silentdragon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-03, 07:49 PM   #14
silentdragon48

ok, here is what I've done now:
added the defaultserver line to startx
xfs levels 3 & 5 are now set to "on"
and /dev/usbmouse has been chaged to /dev/mouse
the mouse has been chaged to "Microsoft" instead of intellipoint.

i'm still getting the EXACT same errors.
Old 02-07-03, 10:52 PM   #15
bwkaz

Hmm. How about attaching the full startx script?

This is not anything to do with your config file, USB mouse, or anything like that. The problem is that something is looking for /etc/X11/X, and not finding it. We're going to have to change what's looking for it.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 12:17 AM   #16
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

This is pretty important :
do this ls -l /etc/X11/X

This should be a symbolic link :
/etc/X11/X -> ../../usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86*

If you don't have this symbolic link, create it.

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by silentdragon48
wasn't loaded, with modprobe it loads just fine
We're good so far...
Quote:

Font server was not running
--will change that on next boot
if you did 'chkconfig --level 35 xfs on' then you already have.

Quote:

Yup, have the monitor manual, that is where those values came from.
good. That's covered then.

Quote:

my mouse is a USB mouse, it is a 5 button trackball with a scroll wheel. Kensiko brand if that helps (some cheapo jobby I picked up for $20 at Staples)
Kensiko --unfortunately no, that doesn't help. Offbrand , clone, "House-Brand" mice are hard to figure out. It's probably IntelliMouse or IMPS/2. And if it's not, that's going to be an fun experiment finding out what protocol to use. Here's the thing: if you get the protocol wrong the server will start but the mouse will not move or it will move erratically. However, if we have the mouse devicefile wrong, the X server will probably not start at all. Like specifying /dev/usbmouse when no such file really exists.

So, if you're using a USB mouse and not plugging it into an ps2 adapter and ps2 port then you must specify a USB devicefile in XF86Config. Pointing X at /dev/mouse will simply misdirect X to /dev/psaux. We're looking for /dev/input/mice or /dev/input/mouse -or- /dev/input/mouse0 --something that is associated with USB.

Got a PS2 mouse lying around? If you substitute that one til you get X running, then you can solve the Kensiko mouse problem (which might be your only problem) from a position of having a working X.
Isolate possible problems, attack them one at a time. Something I heard once.

Quote:

I personally doubt this will affect anything, based on the documentation that I have for my release of Linux, but I could be wrong. The basic Xserver info says it looks for XF86Config first, the reason for XF86Config-4 was for some compatability issues on systems running older versions of Xserver
It won't hurt either. On the RH7.2 system around here there's a XF86Config-4 . System has an ATI card in it.

Last edited by junkieclown; 02-08-03 at 12:56 AM.
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 01:44 AM   #17
silentdragon48

ok, I'm going to be out of town for the next few days, so I won't be back until Monday. So, for now I'm just going to attach my whole startX script. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into your suggestions, junkieclown, when I get back.

Thanks for your on going help on this matter guys, it really helps to know that there are ppl out there who can help me.

Oh, btw: I say "will do on next boot" because my computer runs a dual boot system, one harddrive is windows 98 SE the other is Linux. The reason for this is that I ran out of money and had to buy a cheap ass win modem, so ofcourse linux can't use it, plus it is some off brand junk too. When I feel like I have money (which will probably never happen because I'm in college) i'll actually get a real modem, instead of this stupid win modem. That is the only real reason (well that and Diablo doesn't exactly have a Linux release) that I have windows. Which, if I want to check my email or do anything on the net I have to be in windows, hence why I say "on next boot" - just a little fyi incase you were wondering why I said that.
Attached Files
File Type: txt startx.txt (2.1 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-08-03, 08:58 AM   #18
bwkaz

OK, for reference, my startx is attached as well (XFree86 4.2.0). The differences are too many to make the fix as simple as I thought it was going to be. Your file, for instance, doesn't even bother trying to set defaults (regardless of whether defaultserver is set or not) if there is no xserverrc or .xserverrc file.

Creating the symlink /etc/X11/X pointing at /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 would probably be the easiest way to fix it now. Although creating a ~/.xserverrc containing the line exec /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 might work as well. But if this is a multiuser system where more than one user should be allowed to start up X, then you're going to want the system default xserverrc file (the one in /etc/X11/xinit) to contain that line instead. Any of the three *should* work.
Attached Files
File Type: txt startx.txt (2.9 KB, 117 views)
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 10:47 AM   #19

Default Re: Linux retarted??? I'd say yes...

Quote:
Originally posted by silentdragon48
For reference here is what I'm running:
Red Hat 7.2 Kernel 2.4
CPU: AMD T-bird 1.333 GHz
Vid: Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200

I used to run a slower setup with an SiS6326 attached to it. And I used to be able to get RH to start Xserver without a problem. Howerver, I got tired of that card and upgrading. While upgrading I had to blow away my install of Red Hat for my Windows files.

So, this is on a fresh new install of Red Hat 7.2 and Xserver just won't load. I downloaded the NVchooser.sh script and ran it and the thing told me to download 2 files: 1) NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm and 2) NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.rh72up.athlon.rpm. I went through the README.txt file too and did the install (you know rpm -ivh blah blah blah ) and it came across just fine. I tried configuring XF86Config in my /etc/X11 folder but the thing still won't run. If anyone has any helpful hints or a copy of a working XF86Config file that would be a great help.

Heck at this point I'm open to anything at all, any advice (maybe a tech. manual) would work.

If it would be of any help the next time I'm in Linux I could try to start Xserver again and copy down the error message and post it here, just let me know what will help so I can use Xserver in Linux again.
Thanks,
~SD48
Once you learn how to install Nvidia drivers properly you'll soon learn that Linux is anything but retarded Hardest part is learning to install drivers, here's my hint: Use the tar.gz method and search for some of my posts. I'm sure I have the instructions posted somewhere.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-03, 11:12 AM   #20
silentdragon48

Default Re: Re: Linux retarted??? I'd say yes...

Quote:
Originally posted by 3777
Once you learn how to install Nvidia drivers properly you'll soon learn that Linux is anything but retarded Hardest part is learning to install drivers, here's my hint: Use the tar.gz method and search for some of my posts. I'm sure I have the instructions posted somewhere.
Quote:
Originally posted by silentdragon48
oh heavens no, I did not mean that Linux is retarted. FYI: I was writing that post at 3 am or something local time so a lot of that came out wrong. I mean that I am retarted (yes my spelling is bad) when it comes to Linux. Good lord, I love linux, especially compared to Windows, I grew up with my Dad teaching me how to use UNIX, but never how to configure or troubleshoot anything.
~SD48
Has nothing to do with Linux itself being retarted, I'm just a dumbass and at 3 am, my grammar sucks.

Old 02-08-03, 01:12 PM   #21
silentdragon48

ok, I had some sort of epifany or whatever this morning. For a brief few seconds I thought about the problem like my girlfriend would and thought to myself "what if it isn't plugged in" (long story behind that) anyways, I got to thinking and looking at the error messages, and the startx script was looking for /etc/X11/X. Well, no such file exists at that location. So I copied the X file from /usr/X11R6/bin/X to /etc/X11/X and now I get a different set of error messages, no more "errno 2". now I get the following:

#: startx
Waiting for X server to accept connections
*etc.*
*here after waiting 3 mins. I hit CTRL-c and killed it*

Now, question, when I get back home and get to play with this rig again, should I just run the command , get a beer, watch arena football, play some PS2, comeback and see what happens?

On a side note, I didn't check to see if the nvidia driver was loaded with modprobe or lsmod. Should I do that first next time?
Old 02-08-03, 01:13 PM   #22
silentdragon48

I would like to correct myself, I don't get any error messages, the thing just sits there, seeking the Harddrive and doing the stupid ".." thing REALLY slowly.
Old 02-08-03, 04:27 PM   #23
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

rm -f /etc/X11/X

ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /etc/X11/X

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
(the reason is that X in /usr/X11R6/bin is a symbolic link itself ...to 'Xwrapper')
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-03, 10:54 AM   #24
silentdragon48

Alright, one problem down, another one has risen.

I can get Xserver to start, and then it bombs. I've attached the error logs and my XF86Config file for reference. I do believe that there is something wrong with my screen depth. Currently the config file defaults to '8', which if memory serves, my monitor had sh*t fits about when windows was in compatability mode (as in to hte point where I had to steal my girlfriend's monitor). So, I'm going to change the defaultdepth or whatever to 16 and see if that gives me new messages or actually loads Xserver.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xfree86_log.txt (3.6 KB, 124 views)