Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-10-03, 10:55 AM   #25
silentdragon48

ok, and here is the other file (my config file)
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (14.1 KB, 132 views)
silentdragon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-03, 11:15 AM   #26
silentdragon48

ok, forget those two posts i just put up. I fixed the config file so that it now loads. I'm now able to look at Gnome. but long story short, my mouse is having more siezures than an epileptic at a strobe light convention. I'm gonna try to hook my mouse into my PS/2 port here in a few minutes and see what happens. The bad part about this flaw is that I only have this track ball (USB) and a Logitech Optical (USB) sitting around. I do have a USB -> PS/2 adapter so hopefully my old PS/2 cable still works (my computer sits about 4 ft away from where my monitor and keyboard are so I have to use an extension cable). Anyways, thanks for the help on the drivers and getting Xserver to load. any hints on the mouse issue???
Old 02-10-03, 02:32 PM   #27
junkieclown
Helium Abuser

Location: Summers in Rangoon, but mostly in my evil underground lair and Volcano laboratory. though

Only hints on the mouse issue that I have are :

The erratic mouse is a symptom of using the wrong protocol. I can't guarantee there's a right one but -
If using the Kensiko plugged into a USB port , try different Protocol for the mouse
IntelliMouse or IMPS/2

Same for the Logitech plugged into USB - it's probably IMPS/2 . Some older Logitechs have their own protocol. You can turn the logitech over and find out exactly what it is. Search with term 'XF86Config' and the Logitech model 'name' in groups.google.com
You might even try googling with the manufacturer's part no. eg: M/N M-BE68 , which is a Logitech Pilot/First Wheel Mouse which uses IMPS/2

If you plug any mouse into the PS2 port, you have to change the mouse device to /dev/mouse in XF86Config.
junkieclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-03, 03:01 PM   #28
silentdragon48

ok, can do that. Now, a real quick question, is there a file on my computer somewhere that will tell me what available protocalls my version of Linux has drivers for???
Old 02-10-03, 05:52 PM   #29
bwkaz

No idea. Try looking through http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse.html -- but I don't know if there's a list of protocols supported.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-03, 11:02 PM   #30
silentdragon48

Alright, thanks guys, have the whole system up and running now....all I need to do now is get rid of my stupid Win-Modem and get a regular modem.

THe mouse thing sorta fixed itself. Here is what happened:
I got sick of the issue, so I borrowed my dad's PS/2 mouse, plugged it into my PS/2 port. I did this just to make sure that none of the mouse drivers in Linux were toasted. Well, that checked out alright. SO, I rebooted the machine, removed the PS/2 mouse, and out of habit I just plugged my USB mouse back in. On boot-up Linux went into the "hardware updater" program, Kadzu or what not, and it found my USB mouse. I'm sitting here like "HUH, didn't do THAT before, let's see what happens". Well, booted up, logged in, started Xwindows, and *POW* the mouse works like magic now! I changed NOTHING in the config file, no protocols or anything!!! LOL, guess it just needed to be unplugged and plugged back in! I guess there was another config file somewhere that just needed to be updated or something, I'm not sure, nor do I really care to mess with it because it isn't broke anymore.

Again, thanks for all your help.

p.s. if anyone has an old 56k modem that they don't want anymore and are willing to cough up for cheap I'd greatly appreciate it! LOL