Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-30-06, 02:54 PM   #1
TheTaz

Default SLED 10 Rocks

Just installed Novell's Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 RC 3... (Not to be confused with OpenSuse 10.1), and I have to say that the 3D Xgl Desktop and Beagle Search are pretty slick.

While I normally favor Debian based Distros with Synaptic... SLED 10 is pretty cool for a full distro. (Though I'm not liking YaST too much)

I still prefer Xubuntu for a more lightweight and efficent choice... but SLED 10 could give Vista a run for it's money without the Vista Bloat.

You can check it out, here:

http://download.novell.com/SummaryFr...d=Bw84p8SQPFU~

Since it's a pre-release... it's free.

-Taz
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-06, 11:17 PM   #2
TheTaz

Default Re: SLED 10 Rocks

Well... since crickets are chirping... guess I'll post a little more...

This post is more for newbies than anything, but some of you vets may find something useful if you never used Suse (or haven't in a long time)...

After you install SLED 10 and run the updates... you go into the contol center and choose "Desktop Effects". This will most likey say "disabled" because you don't have a 3D video driver loaded yet.... the cool thing is when you try to enable it... it automatically installs a fairly recent nVidia or ATi driver (The Real drivers... not some Xorg unaccellerated hack) necessary and restarts X for you. No fuss no muss. Oh... make sure that you enable the extra repositories / keys durring the install so the video driver install will work.

Windows will then pop-up / explode like Mac OSX, have subtle transparency like Vista, ALT-Tabbing shows mini previews of windows instead of icons, and the workspaces (desktops) can be rotated like a cube in 3D space with CTRL-ALT-Left_Mouse_Button-DRAG (and if you add workspaces... say 6 total... it will be a hexagaon instead of a cube). You can also use a zoom feature for any portion of the desktop (For tiny font stuff), and there's another hotkey to layout all your windows in a mini format across the whole desktop. (Fun stuff) Some of it's useless like "wobbling window as you drag"... (I turned that off), or a rain effect on your desktop.

Beagle is what WinFS was supposed to do (But got cancelled by MS). The search feature lets you find applications, documents, cached web pages, images, Instant Message History, etc. etc. almost instantly, and catagorized for easy access. It's real easy to find stuff you tucked away and forgot where you put it.

As with any other distro... the media support sucks due to legalities in the US. Also, the Totem build uses Gstreamer which also sucks for external codecs. Anyway, just add the Packman repository detailed here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...e_Repositories

and add both 10.0 and 10.1 directories (as 2 different added sources in YaST), ignore any synch or signing errors, then search for Xine-ui in YaST, and install it. The repository includes uhm... *cough* "questionable to the US" codecs in it's xine package. Google libdvdcss and get the RPM from the author's site... rightclick the RPM and choose Open with "Install Software". Now all your media should play (or at least most of it). Java, Acrobat, Flash, Real Player etc. are already working in Firefox (Novell is working real hard to get a lot of stuff legally "working out of the box"). Just make sure any mpegs, wmvs or other internet audio or video are pointed to xine automatically as you encouter them in Firefox. (I don't recommend using a media browser plug-in for the sheer fact the most of them crash the browser if you click on a bad encoded movie or whatever).

The final trick you may want to do is have a "Run as Root File Browser" at the ready... so you rightclick the desktop and "Create Launcher"... name it what you want, give it the icon you want, and on the command field type: gnomesu nautilus
Click ok. and now you have a file manager that runs as root (asks for root password). For non-clutter purposes... you can drag it on to the bottom panel by the sticky-note.. it will copy itself there (Quick Launch area)... then delete the desktop icon.

Since I mostly have stuck to Debian based distros... there was a good day an half of googling and cussing to figure all that out. Hope it saves some people the hassle.

-Taz
Old 07-14-06, 05:17 AM   #3
Chalnoth

Yeah, I saw a review of this a few days back, and I have to say that I liked what I saw. They've got videos and everything of using the OS:
http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7150

Anyway, I've been using OpenSuSE 10.1 for a while now, and I'm absolutely loving GLX. In OpenSuSE 10.1 you have to install it manually (as it's only recently gotten any good...when 10.1 first came out it felt very much like alpha software), but it's now just a matter of downloading and installing the packages.

My favorite feature of GLX is window transparencies. This is just a superb feature for programming (I can read other code or documentation behind the window I'm working in). I've got the control to set window transparency set to alt+mouse wheel, which makes things exceedingly convenient.

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to SLED 10 once I get back from this conference for the improved start menu and stuff.

Edit: Though I am a bit curious: what don't you like about YaST? I thought it was a nice, simple, effective utility for package download/installation, as well as system configuration.
Old 07-15-06, 07:17 AM   #4
Eerde

Hi,
I am curious to know what difference there is between SuSE 10.1 ans SLED 10 ?

I have had SuSE since 8.2 and always found it best suited for me (though I seriously tried ~8 other distro's).

I also love the Xgl
It took a bit of tweaking, with the Nvidia card, but I found 'the Jem Report' and that guided me along. Stangely "Jem" hates Xgl.

As said the transparency level with alt+mouse wheel is a dream, no clikking, changeing screens... just a quick peek at what is underneath, love it.

Some say the Xgl does not add to any productivity enhancement.... I disagree. A happy PC user is a productive user
The wobly windows, HA there's a feature ! Have you tried to go back to a desktop without Xgl after that ? It feels like "wood". It is so natural the way a window behaves when being dragged.... like a piece of paper. Without it a desktop feels very 2D.
Also due to the Cube I now do use the 4 desktops -finally- to sort and group my running progs.

When I use a KDE desktop however the "rain" function does not work and also the transparent windows when being dragged. Both do work if I switch to another user with a Gnome desktop.

Haven't been able to solve this. Anyone with a bright idea ?
OpenSuSE 11.0 - KDE 4.2 | AMD Quadcore Phenom 9550 | 4GB RAM | HDD's 1x75GB WD Raptor + 2x160GB | nVidia Geforce 8300 + 8500GT | SamSung SyncMaster 245b | DVD+DVDwriter lightscribe | Philips ToUcam pro II 740 | HP PSC 2355 | Logitec wireless kb+mouse+noise boxes | USB HDD's 40+160+160GB | Fuji Finepix 7000 camera | SpeedTouch 780 -VoIP router | Nokia N95 | SuSE sinds 2001 | XS4ALL ADSL 8000 Kbit.
Eerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-06, 11:34 AM   #5
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerde
Hi,
I am curious to know what difference there is between SuSE 10.1 ans SLED 10 ?
Most of the difference is in the user interface. You can see the SLED 10 UI in the link I posted above (they've got videos of its use and everything). There's also non-free software that comes with the OS, but I haven't had a chance to test that out yet.

As for KDE under XGL, I really don't know, sorry. I suspect that your best bet is to just wait until the bugs are worked out.
Old 07-15-06, 11:50 AM   #6
Eerde

Thanks Chalnoth,

I already mentioned the fine article to a number of friends.
http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7150

Yes I will just wait till the KDE bugs are fixed. I guess that Novell wanted to switch completely to Gnome and did not realise the resistance they would face from the KDE loving users ;-)

Anyway I hope that they will continue to support both desktops equally. Linux should be all about choice !
Also I have both desktops running as two diffirent users so a simple Ctrl+Alt+F8 will give me the best of both worlds
OpenSuSE 11.0 - KDE 4.2 | AMD Quadcore Phenom 9550 | 4GB RAM | HDD's 1x75GB WD Raptor + 2x160GB | nVidia Geforce 8300 + 8500GT | SamSung SyncMaster 245b | DVD+DVDwriter lightscribe | Philips ToUcam pro II 740 | HP PSC 2355 | Logitec wireless kb+mouse+noise boxes | USB HDD's 40+160+160GB | Fuji Finepix 7000 camera | SpeedTouch 780 -VoIP router | Nokia N95 | SuSE sinds 2001 | XS4ALL ADSL 8000 Kbit.
Eerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 02:39 PM   #7
TheTaz

The difference between Suse 10.1 and SLED 10 (As far as I can Tell)

SLED 10 Has:
~GLX installed as default
~The Gnome Interface is altered to Novell's own "usablilty study standards", and works very well, IMO.
~Beagle Search completely integrated (Very much like what WinFS was supposed to do)
~Turning on the 3D effects are a snap (Automatically installs proper nVidia or ATi drivers for you)
~Flash, Java, MP3 codecs, and a couple other non-free packages installed already, for convenience.
~More automatic intigration with Windows Network boxes (Whether on an active directory Domain, or just a Home WorkGroup)
~Better hardware detection (Or, so I've read)
~Enhanced Open Office 2.x that can understand VB Macros.

The last Suse I installed was 10.0... so I don't know the exact enhancments in 10.1. I do know that you have to install XGL seprately and things are not as integrated.

Since RC 3 is free... I really suggest trying it.

I'm pretty hooked. I'll prolly buy it when it finally get's released... and I haven't 'purchased' a distro in 10 years. Heh.

-Taz

Last edited by TheTaz; 07-17-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-17-06, 02:51 PM   #8
TheTaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalnoth
Edit: Though I am a bit curious: what don't you like about YaST? I thought it was a nice, simple, effective utility for package download/installation, as well as system configuration.
I ran into dependency hell at first. (Not sure why)

Then I had a hell of a time finding official SLED repositories (extra ones)... and ended up using Suse 10.1 repositories.

Then it was just a matter of getting used to the interface, vs. synaptic.

Now that I've re-installed SLED 10 (for practice)... I ran into none of those issues. YaST is ok... as long as I don't run into a dependency problem... I still like Synaptic better, tho.

Old 08-07-06, 04:55 PM   #9
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

I just tried the SLED 60 day demo and it is pritty nice. The UI really was nice to use. XGL is fun heh, pritty much had all of the features of osx. Only problem was getting twinview to work, and when it did xinerama didnt play well with the monitors