I have twinview setup and working great except for two small problems:

My setup looks like this:
+-------------------+
|..........................|-----------------+
|....1280x1024....|......................|
|..........................|...1152x864...|
|..........................|...................... |
+-------------------+----------------+
Two monitors, at different resolutions, with the smaller one positioned to be on the bottom. Due to a bug in the NVIDIA drivers the smaller (CRT) is the primary monitory, which, although not perfect I can live with (described here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...efault+dfp+crt )

Anyway, the issues:

When I maximize a window on the smaller resolution monitor, it does not cover the entire screen. There is a small bit of the screen (maybe 1/6 of it) above the window. Before I had positioned the monitor to be at the bottom, the window maximized so that there was an empty space at the bottom of it. I can drag windows into that area without a problem.

Issue #2:
Because of the different resolutions of the monitors there is an empty space above the right one. The mouse will move (and disappear) into this space, however. I would really like the mouse to stop on the edges of the screen because that makes it easier to get to the gnome panel and such (I keep over-shooting) Is there a way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Andy
Astro96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 01:19 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Empty space using TwinView

First of all the primary/secondary screen issue is fixed these days (you need 1.0-87xx). Read the driver docs about the the 'UseDisplayDevice' option.

If you would check lets say xrandr, you would see that the actual resolution at which your desktop runs is (1280+1152)x1024. When you maximize a window your window manager should be so smart to make the window '1152x864'. This is not an nvidia driver issue. Second a window manager could also limit the positions to which a mouse can travel on the screen. I'm not sure if any window manager has custom options for this though.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 07:42 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

If you want to eliminate the dead space on your desktop, you can make the right screen pan vertically by 160 pixels. See the README section about "panning domains".
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 02:14 PM   #4
Astro96

Thanks for your help! I'm back on the default display issue but I can't seem to get it to work. Everytime I think I have the UseDisplayDevice option configured correctly I lose my CRT. I am using driver version 1.0.8762
For me -- UseDisplayDevice "DFP" ---> Only the LCD works
UseDisplayDevice "DFP,CRT" ---> Both monitors work but the CRT is the default display.

What am I doing wrong?

I got the panning working but it isn't quite what I wanted... I was hoping to make the mouse simply stop before going into that blank area. Perhaps this is a question better asked of gnome?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by Astro96; 07-04-06 at 11:44 PM.
Astro96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 01:12 AM   #5
zivagolee

I also would like to stop the mouse from moving inside the empty space... anyone know?

I'm using gnome in FC5...
zivagolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 09:21 AM   #6
prefect42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivagolee
I also would like to stop the mouse from moving inside the empty space... anyone know?

I'm using gnome in FC5...
I don't know that it's possible to configure that.
prefect42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 01:05 AM   #7
zivagolee

That sucks... because it works in Windows. There is no way to configure it to act like Windows?
zivagolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 04:04 AM   #8
pak9rabid

Send a message via AIM to pak9rabid Send a message via Yahoo to pak9rabid

I too would like to see this fixed in a future driver release.
pak9rabid is offline   Reply With Quote