Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-06, 09:08 PM   #1
jedmonds

Default kernel source command line

Hi,
I am having the same problem as so many people and have read many of the posts. I am trying to load the driver for my 7900 on Debian Linux and receive the message about not beng able to find the kernel source tree. I know the my kernel source is in the root directory /usr/src/. However, I cannot get the command line nvidiablahblahblah --kernel-source-/usr/src/ to work. I assume that I am not typing this in correctly. If anyone would take the time to write out exactly what this command line is I would be very appreciative.
As another approach to this problem, the line apt-get kernel-source.2.6.12 does not find the package. I appreciate your help.
Jeff
jedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 09:13 PM   #2
evilghost

Default Re: kernel source command line

Did you unbzip2/untar the kernel source? I'm using Ubuntu and performing an apt-get linux-source requires me to manually unbzip2/untar the source located in /usr/src so that /usr/src/`uname -r` exists.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 12:31 PM   #3
GGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedmonds
I cannot get the command line nvidiablahblahblah --kernel-source-/usr/src/ to work
1)Are you sure about the '-' between "--kernel-source" and "/usr/src/"?
2) What does the command "ls -la /usr/src" say?
3) Did you try with "/usr/src/linux"? I remember that I used this path, once. (but my memory is not so reliable - but I'm not expert - but....)
GGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 01:04 PM   #4
jedmonds

Guys
I attempted to use the command line without the '-'. It does launch but still gives me the error - cant find kernel header file, /usr/src//include/linux/kernel.h does not exist. In the /usr/src/ directory there is only the unzipped kernel source 2.4.27, no subfolders, etc. Is there something I need to do besides unzipping it? I appreciate the help.
Jeff
Old 07-04-06, 01:10 PM   #5
evilghost

--kernel-source=/usr/src/2.4.27 or even --kernel-source=`ls /usr/src`
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 02:12 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The NVIDIA driver in Debian normally requires the kernel-headers package which corresponds with the kernel that you're using. There shouldn't be any need for any special driver installation options in Debian unless you're using a non-standard kernel, or have unique needs.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 02:57 PM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that if the running kernel was installed correctly, no command line options need to be passed to `nvidia-installer`.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 09:31 PM   #8
jedmonds

I guess I am not sure how the kernel could not be installed correctly. I downloaded the Etch distro due to my having a SATA II hard drive. Everything worked fine until X Server attempted to start. I also have a XFX GeForce 7900. I assumed that I needed to update the drivers. I have not tried to do anything nonstandard that I know of. If this illuminates anything please let me know. I will try the --kernel-source=/usr/src/2.4.27 and see what happens. Thanks.
Jeff

Old 07-05-06, 05:30 AM   #9
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

`nvidia-installer` relies on /lib/modules/$(uname -r )/{build,source} to determine the location of the kernel development files matching the running kernel; unless you're attempting to install a kernel module for a different kernel, you should only need to use command line options if these symbolic links do not exist of if the files pointed to are not properly configured. What does /var/log/nvidia-installer.log look like?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 01:20 PM   #10
jedmonds

The log has a whole coulmn of false values (one true value) and a repeat of the error. While it is recognizing the command line, it is not picking up on the kernel located in the /usr/src/ directory. I assume this has something to do with the way the kernel or headers are installed. This might be fixed if someone would kindly walk me through the steps necessary to have the correct kernel, headers, etc. I am fairly new at this (obviously) and so please assume nothing. Thanks for teh help.
Jeff
Old 07-05-06, 01:40 PM   #11
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

I just installed Fedora Core 5 from 3 and upgraded to kernel 2.6.17 right away and am also having the same issues. I unzip the kernel TAR file located in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ and the path for what it needs should be /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/kernel-2.6.17 However upon running the command using the path and without I get the same error where its looking for kernel.h and can't find it. The error says that the kernel source needs to be configured. I have never had a need to mess with sources so if anyone could give me a little help that would be great! Thanks!
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 01:54 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

$n][pErMan,
It sounds like your kernel source isn't setup for the system where you're installing the nvidia driver.

Did you build the 2.6.17 kernel that you're running from the source that you installed, or from some other source tarball elsewhere?

Please post the installer log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote